Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regular Auto Insurance Coverage for DE (Driver Education) for US based drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 11:21 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
This is obviously new. Where do you live. I have travelers and I've read nothing of a sort.
I too had Travelers, a NJ policy. They changed the language years ago to exclude DE.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:23 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Language can be interpreted in various and creative ways. My insurance broker insists that I'm covered. Now if I didn't have a relationship with him. I would be a little worried. Unfortunately it comes down to favor. I throw a lot of money his way so the language changes based on interpretation. Unfortunately everything in life works that way. Learn the art of leverage or just pay.
Get your brokers insistence in writing. This will help you if you have a claim and the insurance company refuses to pay. You can then sue your broker and get relief from his Errors and Omissions coverage.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

After reading all this I'm limiting my racing to the street
Old 11-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
After reading all this I'm limiting my racing to the street
Not a bad move...in the progression of a de driver most eventually figure out tearing up your street car isn't worth it...track time is hard on a car

Also once u drive a lightweight car at speed on track the heavy ones just aren't that fun

No insurance is just icing on the cake, risk isn't worth the reward...modern cars total out quick
Old 11-27-2016, 03:20 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

Also once u drive a lightweight car at speed on track the heavy ones just aren't that fun
Amen, brotha!

Took my 991 out a couple months ago for the first time; I actually left after my 4th session, with two more to go. Meh...
Old 11-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Interesting info here.
I do want to track the GTS once or twice but after that might be better off renting a Miata for a day than spending ~$600 on track insurance + expensive Porsche consumables...
Old 11-27-2016, 04:56 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or do the Porsche driving experience. If you really want to get some good track instruction, do Skip Barber.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Travelers policy under Damage To Your Auto Coverage Section - Exclusions

Loss to “your covered auto” or any “non-owned auto” which occurs while participating or compet- ing in, or practicing or preparing for any prear- ranged or organized:
a. Racing contest, meet or rally, whether against another vehicle or against time;
b. Demolition contest;
c. Stunting activity; or
d. High performance driving or racing instruction
course or school.
This Exclusion (9.) applies only while the vehicle is at a location, whether temporary or permanent, established for any of the above purposes.

So the fact of it being timed is NOT a critical component of the exclusion.
So according to your policy if you are being educated by a professional instructor. Even if it's your child who is learning to drive with a permit and crashes your vehicle. You have no coverage. I would drop that insurer like a bad habit.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

So according to your policy if you are being educated by a professional instructor. Even if it's your child who is learning to drive with a permit and crashes your vehicle. You have no coverage. I would drop that insurer like a bad habit.
I don't read it that way.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:16 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL Neither would most people.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Do you have any teen drivers? FYI. Most policies cover teen drivers, with a permit, at no additional charges for the policy holder. Once the teen driver passes a state driving test and becomes licensed, the insurance company gladly sends a bill. Good grades (B average) yield a nice student discount. When they go away to college, sans a car, ask your insurance for another discount. They will continue to be covered during breaks and weekend visits. Key is, they can't have the car at university.

None of the above pertains to any track/DE events.

Last edited by LexVan; 11-27-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

But that's not what it says. It says 'high performance driving or racing instruction'. Your kid getting drivers ed instruction doesn't fall under high performance driving...
Old 11-27-2016, 09:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But that's not what it says. It says 'high performance driving or racing instruction'. Your kid getting drivers ed instruction doesn't fall under high performance driving...
Open to interpetation. I think it's a safe bet to have track insurance just incase but does that track insurance include liability? I've heard of injuries and fatalities on track. Screw the car. What happens if someone wants to sue?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:28 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open to interpetation. I think it's a safe bet to have track insurance just incase but does that track insurance include liability? I've heard of injuries and fatalities on track. Screw the car. What happens if someone wants to sue?

Every event I've participated in requires a waiver for the track property, and then at registration, one signs another waiver for the Club.

Except for the first few DEs I participated in, I have purchased supplemental track insurance. It covers an agreed amount for the car, no liability.

My regular State Farm policy ends coverage as I enter racetrack property.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by RichAA
Every event I've participated in requires a waiver for the track property, and then at registration, one signs another waiver for the Club.

Except for the first few DEs I participated in, I have purchased supplemental track insurance. It covers an agreed amount for the car, no liability.

My regular State Farm policy ends coverage as I enter racetrack property.
That's terrible. So if your involved in a collision and get injuries or worse injure someone else your basicly leaving yourself open to someone personal suing and potentially bankrupting you. That's some good insurance. Where do I sign up? Sorry for the sarcasm.

Quick Reply: Regular Auto Insurance Coverage for DE (Driver Education) for US based drivers?