Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regular Auto Insurance Coverage for DE (Driver Education) for US based drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 PM
HagertyHPDE
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your standard carrier doesn't cover you at a DE event, check us out at Hagerty. We recently began offering HPDE/Track Day coverage, and will also cover time trials at DE events. Very affordable and fast; 20 seconds to get a quote, 5 minutes to obtain coverage. www.hagerty.com/hpde
Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HagertyHPDE
If your standard carrier doesn't cover you at a DE event, check us out at Hagerty. We recently began offering HPDE/Track Day coverage, and will also cover time trials at DE events. Very affordable and fast; 20 seconds to get a quote, 5 minutes to obtain coverage. www.hagerty.com/hpde
Last I checked this is just a rebranding of ontrack insurance and others, with a premium added?

Are you saying your prices are more competitive for track events?

Have some sample rates you can post?

For example $75,000 car... for 5-10 hpde?

The reasons folks are looking for a regular carrier that provides coverage is the cost factor. IE. The coverage is "free."
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I'd put the risk of that happening in the same range as the risk of your car being struck by a meteorite. BTW if your car is struck by a meteorite, I hope that it isn't hit when you are on the track.
Nah, that is an "act of god" and automatically not covered any way!!

Gotta love these guys
Old 05-10-2017, 04:27 PM
HagertyHPDE
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
Last I checked this is just a rebranding of ontrack insurance and others, with a premium added?

Are you saying your prices are more competitive for track events?

Have some sample rates you can post?

For example $75,000 car... for 5-10 hpde?

The reasons folks are looking for a regular carrier that provides coverage is the cost factor. IE. The coverage is "free."
Hi bpu699 - thanks for the questions, and I completely understand folks would prefer the "free" option. With most standard policies now excluding this coverage, that's where we come in. I'll do my best to answer your questions below:

1. No premium added on our end. We offer coverage, powered by RLI as our underwriter, and we do not add additional cost.
2. We are very competitive - please check around to compare prices.
3. One basic example would be for this weekend's PCA HPDE event at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Washington. For a vehicle agreed value of $35,000, with a 10% deductible, the price would be $192.00. That's for 1-3 days of coverage, not per day. Includes coverage for towing, rental car reimbursement and pollutant cleanup coverage.

Please check out www.hagerty.com/hpde to get a quote specific to your vehicle and event - shouldn't take longer than 30 seconds to get a price.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
... I will report back the outcome.
Two months and nine days after filing the claim, I got the call that I am covered! However, I most certainly will not be covered again (they will ask me to sign a release confirming it).

This was a very unique situation. Turns out they added an attachment to my policy by reference that excluded DE events. However, the annual "bill" only referred to a document number that is virtually attached to my base policy (which I had a copy of). This addition was done just before I asked them the question about DE coverage. So this attachment was theoretically in force (according to the company), but I did not know it (because i did not have it and had not read it) and somehow, my agent *and* the underwriter missed it as well when I asked specifically about DE coverage.

Thus, they are agreeing to cover me. In the meantime I had found an attorney who was salivating at the chance to take this case. He had agreed to take the case on a contingent basis. Luckily, I will not have to mess with that...
Old 07-20-2017, 12:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

In the meantime I had found an attorney who was salivating at the chance to take this case. He had agreed to take the case on a contingent basis.
Your lawyer must be hungry. With respect to automobile related suits, my lawyer only takes cases on contingency that are class action suits or where injury is involved. Otherwise, the billable rate is $300 an hour, and all the lawyers in the firm are experts in accumulating billable hours.

Quick Reply: Regular Auto Insurance Coverage for DE (Driver Education) for US based drivers?