Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy your GTS....WE ALL DO!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 01:39 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Was sick when I looked at the radiators and saw that rocks have banged the hell out of them. Cannot believe that Porsche didn't cover front facia with mesh to protect the fins. WTF.
Rennline grilles can fix this pretty easily for an hours worth of labor. Had mine done and don't regret it. Easy fix that I agree Porsche should offer as an OEM option.

As for the trade deal..unless you have $5k to burn I'd say walk. The only other thing IMHO would be IF for some reason there was something about your current black GTS that you absolutely hated and could not deal with such that the $5k was an acceptable price to buy yourself out of that car and into the Silver GTS. Had that happen once before when I settled for a 2009 Porsche 997.2 Carrera S to get out of the 2009 Boxster S I have leased. I just had to get back into a 911 and that was the best deal on the lot from my dealer as it was a model year introduction car in Racing Green and they were giving me $20k off the list price. Only problem...car wasn't my preferred color, the interior was sand beige which I absolutely hated (bleed everything all the time and picked up dirt like crazy) and other than PSE the car didn't have the options I usually just want/use often (6spd, PCM Nav, Sat radio). Bottom like...I traded it for a 2009 Carrera 997.2 C4S that was the right color combo (Meteor Gray/Black) and had both PSE and PASM and Sat Radio/NAV and full leather that had 10k additional miles but was what I wanted so the $3500 I paid to move to the C4S was just the cost of transaction and what I paid for my mistake of rushing into a transaction for a car that in some way part of me knew was substandard/missing.
Attached Images   

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 10-24-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:56 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very nice.

I plan on ordering the Rennline grilles. Thank you all for comments and suggestions.

I'm passing on the trade idea for now.

Sitting here bored out of my mind patiently awaiting Apple's earnings.

Well, after a couple hundred more miles here are some random thoughts.

Seats- 18-ways were a perfect fit for me in 991.2 but somehow in the GTS the bolsters (mainly seat back bolsters) are not quite accommodating enough. I feel like I'm sitting on them. Figured out why the M5 seats were so much better. 1) They are larger, and more importantly deeper and 2) have added adjustments for upper backs allowing the seats to provide complete support to your upper back and head, plus more adjustments with the wings in the headrest. Porsche could certainly improve their seats in these areas.

Suspension- Car definitely doesn't feel great over bumps versus 991.2 with SPASM. I feel like the GTS doesn't absorb a lot whereas the 991.2 felt silky smooth and composed over rough roads. I don't know if I can blame this on SPASM, PDCC or just tweaks made to the chassis. Need to check the tire pressures and make sure they are not overinflated. Don't get me wrong, I like a very firm ride just not jarringly so.

-Transmission- I've warmed up to it now and no longer think that there's something wrong with the clutch. It's just quite different and not as easy to manipulate versus 991.2. Not sure if this is a bad or good thing yet.

-Engine- 100% made the right decision passing up the new turbo for now. I really enjoy rowing through the gears on side roads with the accompanying sound and appropriate torque. There's a lot to be said about being able to utilize (and fully enjoy) the power band right up to the redline. This car leaves nothing to be desired in this department.

-Ordering OEM ducktail. Anybody know a competent and trustworthy non-dealer mechanic around Norwalk, CT for the install? Local P dealer quoted six hours labor. Also what to get Rennline grilles installed but I might just tackle this one myself.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Definitely play with tire pressures. I run them pretty low for around town commuting, then boost a little for dedicated running in the mountains. A few pounds makes a very noticeable difference in reducing the sharp jarring from rough city streets, construction steel plates, small pot holes, as well as interstate expansion joints and Botts dots. As long as you have a compressor and good German gauge at home, it's easy to change at will.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very nice.

I plan on ordering the Rennline grilles. Thank you all for comments and suggestions.

I'm passing on the trade idea for now.

Sitting here bored out of my mind patiently awaiting Apple's earnings.

Well, after a couple hundred more miles here are some random thoughts.

Seats- 18-ways were a perfect fit for me in 991.2 but somehow in the GTS the bolsters (mainly seat back bolsters) are not quite accommodating enough. I feel like I'm sitting on them. Figured out why the M5 seats were so much better. 1) They are larger, and more importantly deeper and 2) have added adjustments for upper backs allowing the seats to provide complete support to your upper back and head, plus more adjustments with the wings in the headrest. Porsche could certainly improve their seats in these areas.

Suspension- Car definitely doesn't feel great over bumps versus 991.2 with SPASM. I feel like the GTS doesn't absorb a lot whereas the 991.2 felt silky smooth and composed over rough roads. I don't know if I can blame this on SPASM, PDCC or just tweaks made to the chassis. Need to check the tire pressures and make sure they are not overinflated. Don't get me wrong, I like a very firm ride just not jarringly so.

-Transmission- I've warmed up to it now and no longer think that there's something wrong with the clutch. It's just quite different and not as easy to manipulate versus 991.2. Not sure if this is a bad or good thing yet.

-Engine- 100% made the right decision passing up the new turbo for now. I really enjoy rowing through the gears on side roads with the accompanying sound and appropriate torque. There's a lot to be said about being able to utilize (and fully enjoy) the power band right up to the redline. This car leaves nothing to be desired in this department.

-Ordering OEM ducktail. Anybody know a competent and trustworthy non-dealer mechanic around Norwalk, CT for the install? Local P dealer quoted six hours labor. Also what to get Rennline grilles installed but I might just tackle this one myself.
PM sent.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:22 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Default Clear sidelights from Suncoast

I see that Suncoast is to Porsche as IND is to BMW. Very nice to deal with them both. I could see how some prefer the orange but on the black I definitely like the clear. Matches front driving lights too.
Attached Images     
Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I see that Suncoast is to Porsche as IND is to BMW. Very nice to deal with them both. I could see how some prefer the orange but on the black I definitely like the clear. Matches front driving lights too.
Lookin' good!
Let's see if you and Rambler can fly as fast as Bee this weekend

JAM2 cheats and takes shortcuts when chased around Weston. Boo!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:17 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

The clear side markers look really good. I was initially thinking of keeping mine stock but they look great with black.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to a very nice forum member I have found my mechanic!

Adding short-shifter, DSC module, Ducktail & Rennline front grilles.

Just need to decide whether or not to keep GTS engine grille or go with 3-slat from SportDesign package. My only reservation sticking with GTS grille (like many of you on this forum) is that brake light indentation. Regardless, think I'll order and paint the 3-slat grille just in case.
On any color aside from black I could see a stronger case for keeping GTS grille (for contrast look) but on the black I'm leaning toward OEM SportDesign ducktail look.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Is it ok to add the ducktail without changing to the sport design front spoiler? I thought that the aero of the 2 together worked hand in hand.

I love the duck but adding it after the fact and still having the rear spoiler lift system and interior button would irritate me a little.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:57 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Stole these pictures. The nice one with the black GTS grille is from OMFS. If you have any more black or dark colored ducktails please post here. thanks

Old 10-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

I prefer the 3 slat duck grille but they both look great in those photos.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:06 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I prefer the 3 slat duck grille but they both look great in those photos.
On your 4 I would definitely agree with you because of the wraparound brake light. But on the 2 the GTS grille continues below the ducktail making it a little more put together. I think this will be an easy swap between the two grilles if I happen to change my mind.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

OEM ducktail, grill added post facto by moi.

(Intentional overexposure to emphasize wheels and GTS grill).

Old 10-27-2016, 09:39 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

A couple more...

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal