Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Impressive, 4 bags fit (nobody can afford more than that at Whole Foods anyways).

Separately, warm day today, wearing a t-shirt and my back was sweating after car was in the sun for only a few minutes. Clearly, this is a drawback of alcantara seats.
Wait a minute!

Explain the organic popcorn at Whole Foods pricing no less!

Go!

Old 10-21-2016, 04:42 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

You guys think I'm nuts?

Considering trading my black GTS (PDCC, SPASM, LEDs, Burmester, Park Assist, 18-ways, Glass Sunroof & Premium package) for another only with far fewer options:
GT Silver
No sunroof
SportDesign Package
GTS Communication Package (Rhodium)
Bose

My car MSRPs out about $12k higher. Both are 2016 CPO cars with similar in-service dates and mileage. Dealer wants my car plus $5k. This is a near perfect spec for me with the exception of no PCCBs (which I don't think I'll ever find).

After only a couple weeks, I feel like I don't want SPASM (or PDCC or sunroof) but very likely I'll get adjust to the firmer ride quality over time.

Obvious downside is financial plus seems like GTS crowd really loves SPASM. Decision by Monday. Another concern is that I've never driven one without SPASM and PDCC. Probably will just sit tight until I can figure out for sure which one I prefer for the long haul.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 10-21-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:11 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Me? No Sunroof, no PDCC would be major Benies (I ordered my car and skipped those two items). No SPASM would be bad, but AFAIK, the easiest of those options to retrofit. And other non-OEM options present themselves as far as lower/tighter suspension is concerned. You could always live with it a bit, knowing that lowering springs were a relatively easy retrofit.

And I think we both agree on preferring GTSM over B.

And a GTSM with ducktail??? No. Brainer.

Now... As to the financials. I think it's tough to agree to that under any circumstances. IMO it would be "gracious" of you to swap the cars even-up, given the similar mileage and in-service dates. Yes, the dealer needs to make a little coin on the deal but:

1) you are giving him that by allowing him to arbitrage your 12k-higher-MSRP car, getting it from you on the cheap and selling it for a higher price to the next guy than he could sell the silver car, based on the MSRP, and
2) You are clearly a "either this works or I don't do the deal" customer, since you already have the "better car," according to Porsche, who sets MSRP. So they don't have to "make a profit on you" with this swap; they should see the deal as an either/or; either they make the swap even-up and gain the better car, or you walk away and they still have the cheaper car.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 10-21-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

1. Drive it, see what you think.

2. Doesn't sound like $5k is enough to make the swap. If you really like the silver car, try negotiating in something they have a margin on, like a maintenance package (I would have said CPO but you are already CPO).
Old 10-21-2016, 06:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
2. Doesn't sound like $5k is enough to make the swap.
I think you misunderstand the deal. The dealer will giver BHS the silver car in exchange for his current black car PLUS $5000 of BHS's current green money. Dealer wants to imply his silver car is worth 5k more than BHS's black car.

If somehow I've gotten that backwards, jump on the deal. But I say no way a dealer will give you 5000 cash in the deal for essentially the same cars in the grand scheme of things.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

I would never call one crazy for such a thing given the money I put towards my auto passion. Emotions are a huge part of the decision so if it gives you longer term piece of mind, sure, why not.

But in addition to the 5k more out of pocket for you, you also need to add the difference between what you paid for your GTS and what the dealer would sell you it's GTS. For example, using sample numbers, if you paid 115k for yours but could have gotten the GT silver one for 110k from the beginning, you're out 10k vs 5.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Bemo
Drifting

I like your current color/options better.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:34 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rambler_13

But in addition to the 5k more out of pocket for you, you also need to add the difference between what you paid for your GTS and what the dealer would sell you it's GTS. For example, using sample numbers, if you paid 115k for yours but could have gotten the GT silver one for 110k from the beginning, you're out 10k vs 5.
Naw, that's sunk cost. It is only a useful figure in the hands of his wife*, when she is reaming him out over the cost of his cars. It has no bearing on the "swap or not" decision he currently faces. Whether he paid 200k or 100k for the current car, the deal is going to cost him 5k going forward. Unless he negotiates harder and gets it for free.

*See:Biography of NoGaBiker, Chapter 3, in which our intrepid hero goes against his wife's advice to buy a Boxster as his first Porsche back when they first came out, buying a Miata instead, to "save money." And the follow-up transaction six months later when he bought a Boxster and sold the Miata for $3500 less than paid for it.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:48 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I think you misunderstand the deal. The dealer will giver BHS the silver car in exchange for his current black car PLUS $5000 of BHS's current green money. Dealer wants to imply his silver car is worth 5k more than BHS's black car.

If somehow I've gotten that backwards, jump on the deal. But I say no way a dealer will give you 5000 cash in the deal for essentially the same cars in the grand scheme of things.
Correct. If they were paying me $5k this deal would've likely been done by now.

Thing is the dealer's asking about $12k over what I consider to be market value. The dealer is Atlanta Perimeter Porsche. They are marking my car low and not willing to drop the price of their car so the deal probably won't get done.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:51 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Correct. If they were paying me $5k this deal would've likely been done by now.

Thing is the dealer's asking about $12k over what I consider to be market value. The dealer is Atlanta Perimeter Porsche. They are marking my car low and not willing to drop the price of their car so the deal probably won't get done.
Shoot, I was going to store it for you till you could get down and pick it up. I don't think they tend to be super realistic about pricing much of the time.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:30 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Eh, I think the money they're asking for on top of the deal would kill it for me. You're already giving up $12k in MSRP options for the exchange. They should be able to make a profit with that delta. Unless they overpaid for the one they want to trade, but that shouldn't be your problem.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:27 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Default I Love the Fall

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 10-23-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Same here!

Name:  20161023_135226.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  505.2 KB
Old 10-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the highjack, great pics BHS, beautiful!
Old 10-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Well I posted in the "recent pictures thread" but might as well litter in here also
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal