Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   lane assist/ adaptive cruise control usefullness (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/958110-lane-assist-adaptive-cruise-control-usefullness.html)

Drifting 10-13-2016 10:32 PM

lane assist/ adaptive cruise control usefullness

I'm currently speccing a 991.2 C2S. This is my 5th Porsche and in general I know what I want, but I was surprised when I saw the lane assist option as I didn't know it existed.

Would appreciate comments from owners who have this on their cars and have driven with it for a while, regarding how usefull it really is, and how useful it is on the highway, which is likely better suited for it, vs heavy traffic or stop and go traffic, when it's likely on the entire time?

similar question about adaptive cruise control. I once had a sales guy describe this as useful in stop and go traffic, so you can just rest your foot, but not that helpful in any other driving situation.

Hurricane 10-13-2016 11:01 PM

Adaptive cruise control is awesome - I was really looking hard to find a CPO car with it and am glad that I did. Great for highway trips, especially in moderate traffic. Has probably saved me from getting a ticket a few times, too lol.

Takes some getting used to, though. For stop and go traffic, I prefer more control. For highway traffic, it is nice how it keeps spacing for you.

dflowerz 10-13-2016 11:05 PM

I pretty much never use cruise control so don't think I have that on my car. At the last minute I added lane change assist and I use that all the time. Glad I added it. Visibility is not great out of the 911 so the lane change assist is very handy.

I am the Walrus 10-13-2016 11:06 PM

My AMG gts has lane assist, it's definitely an asset

scooter100 10-13-2016 11:37 PM

I absolutely LOVE the adaptive cruise. It makes the rush hour commute home so much easier. I thought it was a dumb option but once I started using it, I can't live without it.

It also makes your car look like a Cylon. I just wish there was an option to put a red glow around the eyeball :).

jennifer911 10-13-2016 11:46 PM

Adaptive cruise control is convenient, but also a valuable safety feature. Mercedes and Lexes have been using millimetre radar for a long time to control their high end cruise control. When getting behind slow cars you don’t have to brake then hit the resume when traffic clears. The radar keeps pace with a slower car in your lane then speeds up when the lane is clear. The best units have an adjustment to set the distance your car will follow behind the slower car. You can set it for a nice safe large gap, or set it so your car paces right on the offending slow car’s bumper to bully him out of your way.

The safety part is that the radar is active even when not using cruise control, if a car ahead of you stops or slows just when you are looking away, the radar will brake for you.

Lane assist is just a blind spot monitor (most cars come with this without an inflated Porsche option charge). On our crowded roads today, this is a valuable driving aid.

LCW 10-14-2016 12:00 AM

I have had my 991.2 for six months now. I have the LCA on it - in fact I have blind spot sensors on all my vehicles. As Jennifer said on today's busy roads I would not want a new car without it. I love it. I dont have the adaptive cruise control, so I can't comment on that.... Good luck.

Drifting 10-14-2016 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by jennifer911 (Post 13674010)
Adaptive cruise control is convenient, but also a valuable safety feature. Mercedes and Lexes have been using millimetre radar for a long time to control their high end cruise control. When getting behind slow cars you don’t have to brake then hit the resume when traffic clears. The radar keeps pace with a slower car in your lane then speeds up when the lane is clear. The best units have an adjustment to set the distance your car will follow behind the slower car. You can set it for a nice safe large gap, or set it so your car paces right on the offending slow car’s bumper to bully him out of your way.

The safety part is that the radar is active even when not using cruise control, if a car ahead of you stops or slows just when you are looking away, the radar will brake for you.

Lane assist is just a blind spot monitor (most cars come with this without an inflated Porsche option charge). On our crowded roads today, this is a valuable driving aid.

appreciate the details on the workings of adaptive cruise control. I think I'm now set on getting the ACC.

Still not certain about lane assist. I guess I could see its use for people with neck conditions that can't check their blind spot, but otherwise I'm not sure what it offers.

I think 911 rear/side visibility is good (compared to my GT3 and previous Boxster, I would have definitely wanted lane assist on those cars if it was an option)

budrichard 10-14-2016 08:00 AM

After 5 months with LCA and ACC on my .2C4S, I found each to be useful.
As Posted ACC also includes AUTO brake feature which I know someday will save me.
I always use ACC on Tollways and Expressways using the control stalk to vary my speed when going through different speed zones rather than my foot.
Setting the Cruise speed to it's lowest (20mph), ACC wil do the driving for you in stop and go traffic. It also follows motorcycles.
To keep pace in the hammer lane behind a 'rabbit', just set the Cruise to a high speed and away you go. You can also vary the distance to follow.
LCA is a nice feature that is not instrusive but it only provides avisual warning.
Both features can be turned off if required.
Only problem with ACC is on Track or AX.
Do not hit cones as the replacement is expensive
Had Power Engineering design a cover plate I install for Track.-Richard

spiderv6 10-14-2016 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Drifting (Post 13674238)

Still not certain about lane assist. I guess I could see its use for people with neck conditions that can't check their blind spot, but otherwise I'm not sure what it offers.

I don't have this on the 911 but do have it on the Merc which my wife drives daily. I'm glad she has it (ahem).

If anyone else drives your 911 I would add it as extra insurance. It is now a "standard" for me on all future vehicles.

Dan Nagy 10-14-2016 09:10 AM

The LCA option isn't that much money relative to the price of the car. Having said that, I didn't want that constant distraction in the corner of my eye. Proper mirror placement and a turn of the head works better for me. I rented a car with it to check it out, and you might want to do that, too.

Note: I ride the Metro to work so heavy traffic isn't an issue for me.

R_Rated 10-14-2016 09:26 AM

I have all of this on my 5 series... It's nice to have on such a boring car; even with the M package. I'd never want lane assist or these other helpers on my sports car. The car is exciting and I drive my Porscge because I like driving it. I drive my bmw because I want good gas mileage and want to get somewhere with as little effort possible so I can safely text and drive.

HUD with a tach would be neat and Porsche should have added a hud given the other tech they added.

BB991 10-14-2016 09:28 AM

very useful. the problem is I have it on my other car and not on the 991 so I have to be very careful to remember that in the Porsche the car won't slow down on its own when using cruise control. I find it and lane assist to be a helpful feature.

R_Rated 10-14-2016 09:46 AM

This is the type of party line division where STG or Lexvan posts something about being able to spot the PDK owners...

babyjocko 10-14-2016 11:17 AM

The US Government will soon mandate emergency braking and lane assistance on all cars. ACC includes emergency brake assist. Personally, I would not buy a car without it.