Sponsored by:

lane assist/ adaptive cruise control usefullness

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjocko
The US Government will soon mandate emergency braking and lane assistance on all cars. ACC includes emergency brake assist. Personally, I would not buy a car without it.
Given the epidemic of distracted driving, that's a good thing for the general public.

I wonder how that will work with a MT? Maybe this is the last of the MTs offered.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BB991
very useful. the problem is I have it on my other car and not on the 991 so I have to be very careful to remember that in the Porsche the car won't slow down on its own when using cruise control. I find it and lane assist to be a helpful feature.
LOL, I have it on my Porsche but not on my other cars and have the same problem. I have to remind myself when driving them that they will NOT automatically slow down when approaching a slower car...

For those associating ACC with people who don't like to drive their Porsches like the good Dr Porsche intended...I assure you, when on twisty back roads or when doing Autocross (both of which I do often), I have ACC (and cruise control) turned off!

For those of us who live in congested areas with highways or take long road trips, it is nice to occasionally put ACC on and just relax a little...
Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
The LCA option isn't that much money relative to the price of the car. Having said that, I didn't want that constant distraction in the corner of my eye. Proper mirror placement and a turn of the head works better for me. I rented a car with it to check it out, and you might want to do that, too.

Note: I ride the Metro to work so heavy traffic isn't an issue for me.
It's actually not a distraction at all.
I find I have to slightly turn my head to determine if the light bars are flashing.
What make of car did you rent, LCA is NOT the same on all makes.-Richard
Old 10-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I like LCA on my wife's SUV, but have zero interest in that lane departure warning stuff. I do like ACC/PAS, though the version that was in my RS5 was better than the one in my Cayman S. Overall, I think having all these things on offer is good for the safety of our roads, given all the poor drivers out there.

That said, I would pay for ACC, but I wouldn't pay extra for LCA. I don't plan to spec it on my next 911.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:12 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I like LCA on my wife's SUV, but have zero interest in that lane departure warning stuff. I do like ACC/PAS, though the version that was in my RS5 was better than the one in my Cayman S. Overall, I think having all these things on offer is good for the safety of our roads, given all the poor drivers out there.

That said, I would pay for ACC, but I wouldn't pay extra for LCA. I don't plan to spec it on my next 911.
Thats the way I am leaning. The ACC sounds worthwhile, but not the LCA. I trust my eyes more than anything else anyway.

When I'm older and can't move my neck, I may consider LCA.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:01 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I pretty much never use cruise control so don't think I have that on my car. At the last minute I added lane change assist and I use that all the time. Glad I added it. Visibility is not great out of the 911 so the lane change assist is very handy.
If I had to choose, I'd do the opposite. The 911 has good visibility for a sports car, and if you set your mirrors optimally, you don't need LCA. But cruise, especially adaptive cruise, is handy for freeway driving, as it's hard to keep up strict speed discipline for extended periods.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...c=socialflowFB
Attached Images  

Last edited by Need4S; 10-15-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:58 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 521 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I have all of this on my 5 series... It's nice to have on such a boring car; even with the M package. I'd never want lane assist or these other helpers on my sports car. The car is exciting and I drive my Porscge because I like driving it. I drive my bmw because I want good gas mileage and want to get somewhere with as little effort possible so I can safely text and drive.
If you text and drive you are an idiot and not safe to be on the road. Here it's a $ 1000 fine and 3 demerit points.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
If you text and drive you are an idiot and not safe to be on the road. Here it's a $ 1000 fine and 3 demerit points.
+1.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:09 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safely text and drive? That is oxymoronic and therefore must be a joke. Can anyone really be that dumb to even post that seriously?

And to use a reason for not wanting ACC or LCA because it would interfere with one's enjoyment driving a 911 is just as dumb. They don't interfere, instead they enhance safety.

It's gottta be a sarcastic post.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:06 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Safely text and drive? That is oxymoronic and therefore must be a joke. Can anyone really be that dumb to even post that seriously?

And to use a reason for not wanting ACC or LCA because it would interfere with one's enjoyment driving a 911 is just as dumb. They don't interfere, instead they enhance safety.

It's gottta be a sarcastic post.
Some people feel less is more. enjoy your car the way you like. There is no right/wrong answer. Maybe an open mind a bit that not everyone views the world through the same lens.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:05 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the MT, no nannies crowd.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

LCA is like extra insurance, you should still turn your head, shouldn't rely solely on LCA. There are certain circumstances when LCA sees something that you may miss -- could be someone coming up at a high rate of speed next to you, that you may not see visually with a turn of your head. It's also helpful when you pass someone, and you can safely get back in your lane when the light goes off. Additionally, you may not see someone getting in the lane next to you after you do your visional check -- LCA will. I find it very useful.

One other observation on LCA: Since it uses radar, it could affect your radar detection device (false alerts) -- if you have a fairly current V1, you should be OK.

Last edited by philg3; 10-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"One other observation on LCA: Since it uses radar, it could affect your radar detection device (false alerts) -- if you have a fairly current V1, you should be OK."

The newer V1 and upgraded older units have the JUNK K FIGHTER Blocker feature.
Turn the Blocker ON in software and there is no interaction with either LCA or ACC.-Richard
Old 10-18-2016, 09:24 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
sarcasm emoticon for 300 Alex.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Some people feel less is more. enjoy your car the way you like. There is no right/wrong answer. Maybe an open mind a bit that not everyone views the world through the same lens.

Exactly - I don't do or condone texting and driving at all.

There was a point in life, many years ago where there wasn't even backup cameras or navigation and we had to simply have the skillset to drive and know where our cars fit and how much space they took up. These were also the days when we'd look at a map at stops and have a real, actual awareness of where we are and how many miles it took to get there.

These tech goodies can be helpful but in many ways have also dumbed down the population.

This also substantiates why each person buys a Porsche. I want the full driving experience and have the ability to be aware enough to stay in my lane, not run into car in front of me and also keep right unless passing (where's the tech to teach people that?). If it was my daily driver and I wanted a boring car like the 991.2 then maybe I'd want all of the dummy tech so I too could functionally zone out with a false sense of safety and security also.

Quick Reply: lane assist/ adaptive cruise control usefullness