Sponsored by:

Comments from Targa/Cab owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
You are allowed to love what you love, I have zero issue with that and respect that.

I just can't see there being any "drop top" 911 racecars and given how much history and time Porsche has associated with racing (and winning) I just can't get behind a "911 is not a 911 unless..."
I too have a cab and wouldn't have it any other way and was thinking about how I felt about the comment as well. It is kind of the version they don't sell in the men's section.

Real motorsports don't really have a place for cabs. However - since I [like most] bought one for street enjoyment and supplement to smoking my cigars, for me - a cab is the only option for me.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Awesome! Mine won't be here for another month or two but glad to hear confirmation in advance of finding out for myself.

You are allowed to love what you love, I have zero issue with that and respect that.

I just can't see there being any "drop top" 911 racecars and given how much history and time Porsche has associated with racing (and winning) I just can't get behind a "911 is not a 911 unless..."
He's just baiting the forum for fun.

I remember when we were kids arguing what was a "true sports car". We had an entire set of rules of what it had to be. If I remember correctly, the rules were stilted toward Brit sports cars.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah ok! Guess I took the bait.

You can put me firmly in the camp where the 911 is a sports car right along side the Miata and not a GT car (...not yet anyways).
Old 10-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Can you tell us about the condition of your targa top fabric after this time/mileage?

I was disappointed a while back when I first realized that the very rear piece of the top actually folds and could lead to creasing/abrasion like the cab tops suffer. Most of the videos online don't show the top folding from the right angle to see it. I had to actively search for a video that showed it in order to confirm my suspicions.

I'm hoping it's not a big deal but the threads and pictures here showing nearly new cabs with massive wear and lines on the roof fabric have me wondering what to expect...

Here is a shot of the back portion of the top starting its folding process. I DD mine all year round, its a 2014....just under 10K miles (had <2K when I got it in January). My top goes up and down a lot... and my top looks good as new. No creases, lines, wear marks, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Here is a shot of the back portion of the top starting its folding process.
Thanks for the pic and great to hear it looks good as new after all that time/mileage!

Here is the video I finally found that revealed the true folding to me in case anyone else like me was wondering and finds this thread:

I thought it was super cool to see how all the hidden parts work together and in sequence!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Here is a shot of the back portion of the top starting its folding process. I DD mine all year round, its a 2014....just under 10K miles (had <2K when I got it in January). My top goes up and down a lot... and my top looks good as new. No creases, lines, wear marks, etc.
Makes it pretty clear why the car has to be stopped. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pic and great to hear it looks good as new after all that time/mileage!

Here is the video I finally found that revealed the true folding to me in case anyone else like me was wondering and finds this thread:

I thought it was super cool to see how all the hidden parts work together and in sequence!
Great video!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Makes it pretty clear why the car has to be stopped. Thanks.
Yeah....as much as anything, I think its due to safety concerns, as from the rear, the window section somewhat blocks the tail lights when in its fully back position.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Anyone have a crystal ball for release date of the GTS?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:55 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

They're all sports cars. They're all 911s. They're all great.

I have a 991 GTS cab and would only ever have a soft-top car. For me, much as I like sticking it in 'coupe mode' with the top up, this still feels like not the full experience compared to being in the open air.

My cab top does have creases, but I've sort of made peace with it as the price of admission for open-air motoring in a Porsche. Even if the creases weren't there, I would still prefer the look of the coupe, but being shut in all the time - no thanks.

Never driven a targa I but generally prefer RWD so never considered one.

Quite relevantly, Ferrari said their 488 Spider was aimed at a completely different market from the regular 488 coupe. The latter tended to drive alone and track more, the former to take a passenger more and track less or not at all. Their head of marketing said something like 'people who are interested in one of these cars often will not even consider the other'.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I have a 991 GTS cab and would only ever have a soft-top car.
I have had multiple convertibles over the years, but after having some minor reconstructive surgery due to skin cancer, it was time to change. I got rid of my BMW convertible and went to a hard top Cayman. A year later, I had to make a change even though I love the balance, etc. of that car. I missed that open air experience. The glass sunroof seemed like a good choice for me, so let's see if it keeps me happy. At least this winter I can have some sun coming through the roof.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I would not want to own a Targa out of warranty, any repair on that roof mechanism looks like it would be expensive.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:00 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a "Convertible" guy... I've continuously owned at least one since 1994 and currently have 3.

That being said, the Targa is awesome! When it's opened I feel like its 100% open, but with less buffeting of my wife's long curly hair. When it's closed, it's a coupe. Perfect!
Old 10-12-2016, 05:58 PM
gofit
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems to me that once you go cab...it's hard to go back. No substitute for hoping into a convertible on a nice day! And how do you coupe guys clean the interior??
Old 10-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

TARGA IS SO COOL

Quick Reply: Comments from Targa/Cab owners