Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer Arrogance - Having the means $ doesn't always get you respect.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I think we can all agree that difficult and unprofessional people exist on the sellers and buyers end.

When both sides find good people to do business with as some have described, both sides benefit. No different than any other relationship, business or personal in our everyday life.

Should you have to do this much just to buy a car?? Probably not. But we're not buying boxes of Kleenex here. It's a different kind of good here.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:04 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I am convinced the local dealer around here really doesn't care about their customers when it comes to selling cars. They generally seem to do fine with service but I also don't want to be treated like I am at a Ford dealer when in the showroom. My story: dealer had a 2015 still on their lot that had 1k on the odometer and for some reason they started the warranty (but had never titled the car). For all intent and purpose, this was a low mileage used car in an undesirable color. The dealer gave me absolutely insulting money on my P trade and started playing high pressure sales tactics. He literally said to me he could knock another $5k off the sticker if I made a deal that moment (which still meant the car was overpriced). I told him I would think about it and left. I ended up driving 90 miles out of town and made a deal on a car that was 1 year newer, a few thousand more miles on the odometer, certified, and had $30k more options for nearly the same money.

I also happen to know its not just me. A good friend of mine also drives a P and went in the following weekend to buy a 2nd P for his wife. The sales person literally told him that he doesnt need to make a deal because someone else will buy the car. He also ended up buying from a distant dealer.

The local dealer has had a captive audience for years so doesn't really seem to care if they get a new customer or not. I hope that P opens another dealer nearby as the market would easily support it.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter

I could never me in a job where I would have to interact with the public on a daily basis.....especially a job where my livelihood was dependent on them.
I want a cup like that!

Trouble is I'm having a tough time coming up with even 3 people I care about.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:10 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

IMO, when u run into this negative situation is when u just walk into ur local dealer and u expect to get a lot of attention and their best price. If u r looking for a new or CPO Porsche, shop in a 1500 mile radius or so and u will find plenty of dealers who want ur business and will get competitive. That is what I did my last few Porsche purchases. My last 4 Porsches, I ended up getting a great deal at 200, 12, 500, and 2 miles respectively. But I will admit those numbers are a bit deceiving as the one 2 miles away was near our summer home. I'm retired and we spend winters in Orlandoland, and summers in Chicagoland. Good luck!

Cheers!
Old 10-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
Auto sales people encounter individuals asking questions and "might be PTS" a LOT.
Do your honework, know what you want, how your going to finance/pay cash and when. Go in with the attitude, I'm going to order a Porsche today and both you and the Sales Advisor will have a better encounter.
As to test drive, if it's on the lot, should be no problem but many models, some seats and some options are just not readily available.
Good luck!-Richard
Second this. Your typical salesman is not a walking car encyclopedia.

You have to know your car you are considering to know you are getting what you want. For options/accessories that are very important to you you need to know what they are if the car comes with them, etc.

When I show up to buy a car I have no trouble getting a test ride/drive.

OTOH, the few times I wander onto a car dealer lot, into a showroom, just thinking about buying a car with no real purchase in mind after just a few minutes I can't get the time of day from a car salesman. That's the way it works. These guys (and gals) can spot a serious buyer vs. someone just playing at it.

A serious buyer commands attention. A looky-lou deliberate indifference.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
there no doubt a lot of money around here, it takes longer for them to discount with all the tech money sloshing around a quick look shows there are 81 on the lot at the moment, didn't check but i agree with you that many of the cars are dealer spec that I personally wouldn't buy Stevens Creek: 15 Sonnen: 4 Carlsen: 15 michael stead: 15 bulingame: 3 fremont: 15 livermore: 7 monterey: 7
I can guarantee you that all the Carreras on the SC website are not on their lot, and a number of those that are there are leftover .1's that are odd builds.

But even if you accept 81, that's 81 Carreras for a market of over 7 million people. I'd call that a sellers market...
Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

100%. You are 50, probably white. You fit the stereotype of a new 911 buyer.

I'm in the market for a new 911 next year. I called around to dealers to understand Targa allocation availability. Next thing I know I am getting invited to free PCNA sponsored autocross events to test drive the 991.2.
So let me get this straight since he's 50 and white then 100% he will get a test drive?

What if he was 50 and some minority who didn't fit the stereotype? It's BS like this that has this planet messed up now. What difference does race make please enlighten me!!!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:08 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I think we can all agree that difficult and unprofessional people exist on the sellers and buyers end.

When both sides find good people to do business with as some have described, both sides benefit. No different than any other relationship, business or personal in our everyday life.

Should you have to do this much just to buy a car?? Probably not. But we're not buying boxes of Kleenex here. It's a different kind of good here.
Before the price is set It's all out warfare. If there is weakness on either side the smell of blood can be detected. Both parties usually show up with there best poker faces. Once the price is negotiated there is a feeling of victory or submission and sometimes remorse. Maybe a little bit of both since the dealer knows the truth better than the buyer. Both leave with what they came for. A block of steel and an electronic transfer so thing continue as they were. Easily forgotten a few days later. The experience always make you better the next time around.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:50 AM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Visited four dealers before picking up my CPO 911.1 six months ago
didn't expect the royal treatment from the sales reps, and drove to the dealers in a lowly WRX, I asked for help and was given great service and each dealer followed up in a reasonable time (South Shore, Manhattan MotorCars, MainLine, and Conshohocken) mind you, two of these dealers have 2+ million dollar cars in their lots

Doesn't take much to receive great service, sales reps are just like us, I wouldn't want to help some snob waving cash in my face
And age/race didn't seem to be an issue at any of the dealerships I visited, I'm 30 and Asian
Old 10-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Second this. Your typical salesman is not a walking car encyclopedia.

You have to know your car you are considering to know you are getting what you want. For options/accessories that are very important to you you need to know what they are if the car comes with them, etc.

When I show up to buy a car I have no trouble getting a test ride/drive.

OTOH, the few times I wander onto a car dealer lot, into a showroom, just thinking about buying a car with no real purchase in mind after just a few minutes I can't get the time of day from a car salesman. That's the way it works. These guys (and gals) can spot a serious buyer vs. someone just playing at it.

A serious buyer commands attention. A looky-lou deliberate indifference.
I work in a sales environment daily, and we have a lot of lookie-lou's. IMO, there's no issue with that when they identify themselves as such up front. Foot traffic is good, no matter what. But be considerate and don't waste the sales person's time. Most do.

My problem with dealers is that some dealers don't want to hear when I walk into a dealership and state: "I'm not buying today, just looking, and it'll be several months until I do" and then they just bombard you with "how can I sell you a car today". Geez, guys, just listen to what I've said.

Otherwise, I've found that being honest with my intentions has always resulted in a pleasant attitude from sales at any dealership, and a test drive in pretty much whatever I've asked for (save for true exotics, which I've honestly never asked for).
Old 10-03-2016, 11:24 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
I used to sell and market mining equipment. Each truck would run from $1M to $4M. Sales were generally for a fleet of 5 or more per purchase. Large deals could total over $100M. My boss gave three pieces of advice,

1. The customer doesn't get a discount unles he asks for it.
2. The seller doesn't get his price unless he asks for it.
3. A good deal is when the buyer and seller agree on a price they both can live with.

The seller needs a profit to support the product after the sale. He is after all running a business, not a philanthropic organization. The customer needs to feel he was treated with respect and fairly. A good seller must keep in mind that it's not just this sale with the customer, it's the business relationship that generates all future sales. If the customer sees the product merely as a commodity, he will likely be treated as a commodity by the seller.
Joy Mining? My favorite consulting engagement ever.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Porsche lately likes to play the Birkin Bag game it seems

You are truly a well rounded individual! This is the perfect metaphore. Personally though, while Birkin Bag is modern and many people may have heard of it, I'd be even more obscure and reference a "Kelly Bag" (originally called a sac a depeches). It's Hermes as well but was originally designed by Hermes himself and Ettore Bugatti (yes, that Bugatti) in 1923 (as a saddle bag that would fit in a car). So with a Kelly bag you get the automobile connection and with a Birkin bag you get an acting connection!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:35 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I could never me in a job where I would have to interact with the public on a daily basis.....especially a job where my livelihood was dependent on them.
Awesome Cup - Where can I get one like this?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 PM
carrerapete991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem here: I simply call Anthony Rasoulli at Paul Miller and tell him what I'm looking for. If he's unable to locate the exact type of car I want, he goes ahead and orders it. He then calls when the car is ready and delivers it to my house. I think Anthony is terrific and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

In other words: it's always nice to make and keep friends along the way
Old 10-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Joy Mining? My favorite consulting engagement ever.
Nope. Big Yellow Tractor Co.

Quick Reply: Buyer Arrogance - Having the means $ doesn't always get you respect.