Sponsored by:

991.2 Review in European Car Mag

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 04:50 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Why on earth would you manual a m5 boat? I can see manual m3/m4. But to manual a m5 or m6 is just silly. Of course you didn't like it. It's

They are just too big and more of a touring car. I have both the M4 and M5. DCT for m5. 6MT for M4.

But to each there own.
M5 with MT sounds pretty fun to me. Not sure why the size of the vehicle makes MT any less enjoyable. One of my favorite previous cars was a BMW 540i 6sp. It was one of the more highly sought after sedans by enthusiasts in its time. Also owned a MT Discovery. It was a mediocre vehicle, but the MT made it tolerable. As you mentioned, to each his own.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a rented Peugeot 508 throughout western Europe three years ago and the only thing that made that beast tolerable was its manual tranny.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
One of my favorite previous cars was a BMW 540i 6sp.
Mine too. All around, E39 was a great car.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:31 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Already posted in these forums somewhere (Harry's review of 991.2) but thought I would post here anyway because I found it interesting and entertaining.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:29 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
They are indeed usable and exhilarating, however...

The point of the journalists argument is that the base gives you the torque in a more linear fashion along with the RPMs (and the sound from engine and exhaust).

Here's my example. I have a 2015 M5 (competition package and 6MT). Although it has lots of torque and is quite fast I don't care for how it delivers the power. It's like you hit the gas and all of a sudden the car just takes off almost uncontrollably under full acceleration (due to turbo boost) without the smooth power deliver accompanied by both the engine RPMs and soundtrack from engine/exhaust. By the time I'm switching to third I'm already doubling or more the doors limit rarely getting out of third gear unless on highway. It's fun for a while but gets old. And for me, this aspect of power makes my car less enjoyable taking away from the driving experience.

It is precisely this mix of power delivery, torque and sound that greatly enhances the enjoyment factor of driving.
^^^ This !

Dumped a 4K mile M4 for just the same reasons. All power is not created equal. Porsche has always been about power/weight, and driving dynamics
Old 09-21-2016, 06:30 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
^^^ This !

Dumped a 4K mile M4 for just the same reasons. All power is not created equal. Porsche has always been about power/weight, and driving dynamics
I traded 3500 mile M4 in for a base 991.2. Like the car a lot, but don't love it. Not the car's fault, my expectations were misaligned. Too many compromises to be a truly enjoyable car.

1. Getting in and out requires planning. ��
2. Perpetually fogged up windshield, requires that I run defogger most of the time. This could be due to getting in the car sweaty after playing sports, but all windows get immediately fogged and takes awhile to defog them. All of my buddies leave the parking lot while I sit and wait for windows to defog before I can drive away. Annoys me to no end.
3. Wind buffeting. Can't even roll down the window at speed. Six figure car and Porsche can't figure out a way to eliminate the buffeting? Com'n Porsche.
4. Mediocre sound insulation. Lots of wind, tire, road noise at speed over 70mph. Perhaps it's a sports car thing, and others might enjoy the noise, I prefer a quieter cabin when the windows are up. When I want more noise, I roll the windows down.

Sublime driving dynamics. Really enjoy rowing through the gears up and down. Solid acceleration and deceleration, strong brakes, good pedal feel, ideal pedal placement for twofooting and heel toe. Well sorted suspension in Normal setting, even more buttoned up in Sport.

In my view, there isn't a more precise track instrument one can buy new for around 100k. There are faster, more powerful cars that can be had for that coin, but not more tactile and precise.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fuddman
Essentially, on-paper clear benefits, right? And that's probably the only place they'll ever show up - on paper. Because, let's face it, virtually the entire time you're driving the car, you'll be operating it well below all those "clear benefits over the base."
99% of drivers on this planet will not get close, let alone exceed, the performance potential of base Carrera. The rest is clever marketing.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by pawnstar
99% of drivers on this planet will not get close, let alone exceed, the performance potential of base Carrera. The rest is clever marketing.

+1 Completely agree. Same thing with PDCC, RWS, PTV etc.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:52 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Thanks for bringing that in.
Surprising number of reviewers prefer the .2 base engine over the .2 S engine.
In trying to explain the performance difference, though, those reviewers seem to struggle to find the right words. Which makes me wonder if maybe there is no real performance difference. Just a big price difference.
On the street there will be no performance difference and the base will be the better driving car.

On a track, the S will be faster but less predictable - like a scaled down version of the early turbos in terms of unpredictable power.

On the 991.1 the S got more goodness and a bigger, linear crescendo. Clearly this proves the 991.1 to be the better car > 991.2.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I keep going back to the word the reviewers like to use - pure. 991.2 with only PSE = Pure.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I traded 3500 mile M4 in for a base 991.2. Like the car a lot, but don't love it. Not the car's fault, my expectations were misaligned. Too many compromises to be a truly enjoyable car.

1. Getting in and out requires planning. ��
That's a feature. I can't believe how tall and large the M4/M3 have become. Bloated IMO

2. Perpetually fogged up windshield, requires that I run defogger most of the time.
Not normal in my experience, I'd check your settings and have A/C looked at.

3. Wind buffeting. Can't even roll down the window at speed. Six figure car and Porsche can't figure out a way to eliminate the buffeting? Com'n Porsche
I drive with the windows open all the time. Not my experience, car has a Cd less than the M4 for sure

Mediocre sound insulation. Lots of wind, tire, road noise at speed over 70mph. Perhaps it's a sports car thing, and others might enjoy the noise,
Definitely tire related, but in general the car is more raw than BMW which leans more toward luxury.

Sublime driving dynamics. Really enjoy rowing through the gears up and down. Solid acceleration and deceleration, strong brakes, good pedal feel, ideal pedal placement for twofooting and heel toe. Well sorted suspension in Normal setting, even more buttoned up in Sport.

In my view, there isn't a more precise track instrument one can buy new for around 100k. There are faster, more powerful cars that can be had for that coin, but not more tactile and precise.
There isn't a better sorted car arguably, unlike the M4 which can't put power down was as numb a car as I've ever driven.

Horses for courses, and personal preference!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 PM
pawnstar
Intermediate

How do you like Macan?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Review in European Car Mag