Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport exhaust backfiring and farting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:25 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I cant comprehend why some people dont like the backfiring. I've considered going with AWE to make it even louder. I want it to sound like the civil war when I'm driving down the road.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
I cant comprehend why some people dont like the backfiring. I've considered going with AWE to make it even louder. I want it to sound like the civil war when I'm driving down the road.
1. I don't want it to sound like the Civil War when I'm driving down the road 99.9% of the time. Yet I drive in Sport as soon as the car is warmed up, and I'm not in my neighborhood.

2. The big pop I get when I shift from 2nd to 3rd on anything more than a light pull sounds like the car just grenaded the engine.

3. To most people, it sounds like the car is broken. Often to me too.

4. It's contrived and fake, and that by itself just annoys me. I am not one for theater just for the sake of it.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Amen to that!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention, Matt (Money2536) Moreman's GT3 with dundon race headers and side muffler delete sounded absolutely glorious to me. Was loud and nasty with no rasp or drone.

And no pops.

That's what I want to hear. Not looking for quiet. Looking for real.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Forgot to mention, Matt (Money2536) Moreman's GT3 with dundon race headers and side muffler delete sounded absolutely glorious to me. Was loud and nasty with no rasp or drone.

And no pops.

Same here. The exhaust on the Spyder is a little too backfirey on the decal, though it's not as bad on my current one than it was on my first one. Love the exhaust sound on the gas, but could do without the phony backfires on decel. Often, when I'm slowing to turn past one of the local car/moto hangouts, I'll actually keep the clutch in to keep it from making all the noise.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:14 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

And no pops.

I don’t think that any of the sounds that any of these cars make are “real”. I suspect that there are large groups of engineers at every manufacturer manipulating the sounds to make them most appealing to most people, but are not, in fact, any more genuine than the overrun popping in the current PSE.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I don€™t think that any of the sounds that any of these cars make are €œreal€. I suspect that there are large groups of engineers at every manufacturer manipulating the sounds to make them most appealing to most people, but are not, in fact, any more genuine than the overrun popping in the current PSE.
There's a big difference between the natural sound the motor makes, tuned with an exhaust, and shooting fuel directly into the exhaust to create artificial explosive sounds.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There's a big difference between the natural sound the motor makes, tuned with an exhaust, and shooting fuel directly into the exhaust to create artificial explosive sounds.
OK, let me jump in here with a bit of Auto Shop 101. It's my understanding that the burble sound comes from more oxygen being injected into the combustion chamber to burn off any residual fuel to help emissions, and not more fuel being injected. Most cars do make that bubble sound, but it's being masked by the muffler. You'll notice that kids put those big fart cannons on their cars because they like that burble. They've done nothing to the air/fuel mixture, they've simply eliminated the muffler so you can hear the car fart like a fat man eating beans. So bottom line here is that fuel is not being wasted, it's just that the exhaust valves are open when put in Sport mode allowing the burble sound to come forward.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Because it's not natural.

Burbles, pops, backfire gurgles are engineered by throwing excess gasoline into the chamber.

Listen to a Porsche engine not tuned to play to the Pavlovian lemming-like masses, such as the powerplant in a 991 GT3 or RS, and you'll understand the difference.

It's like staring at the cleavage of a beautiful woman wearing Triple D cups, except she has breast implants.

Personally, I'd rather just admire natural beauty with natural, harmonious proportions.

Yes, I know. I'm weird that way.

Carry on.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
OK, let me jump in here with a bit of Auto Shop 101. It's my understanding that the burble sound comes from more oxygen being injected into the combustion chamber to burn off any residual fuel to help emissions, and not more fuel being injected. Most cars do make that bubble sound, but it's being masked by the muffler. You'll notice that kids put those big fart cannons on their cars because they like that burble. They've done nothing to the air/fuel mixture, they've simply eliminated the muffler so you can hear the car fart like a fat man eating beans. So bottom line here is that fuel is not being wasted, it's just that the exhaust valves are open when put in Sport mode allowing the burble sound to come forward.
You are incorrect.

There is the burble of the engine on the overrun, and then there is what we have which definitely is fuel injected to create artificial pops. This has been confirmed by Porsche.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because it's not natural.

Burbles, pops, backfire gurgles are engineered by throwing excess gasoline into the chamber.

Listen to a Porsche engine not tuned to play to the Pavlovian lemming-like masses, such as the powerplant in a 991 GT3 or RS, and you'll understand the difference.

It's like staring at the cleavage of a beautiful woman wearing Triple D cups, except she has breast implants.

Personally, I'd rather just admire natural beauty with natural, harmonious proportions.

Yes, I know. I'm weird that way.

Carry on.
Lol, love the analogy.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Perhaps I dont understand it correctly, but i thought that real overrun chatter like you hear from race cars was caused by advancing the timing to allow for better performance at higher RPMs, as seen on the race track. The advanced timing results in a very small amount of unburnt fuel being ejected into the exhaust system, resulting in overrun noises. These noises are certainly heard in race cars, including at the very top level in Formula 1 cars.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Perhaps I dont understand it correctly, but i thought that real overrun chatter like you hear from race cars was caused by advancing the timing to allow for better performance at higher RPMs, as seen on the race track. The advanced timing results in a very small amount of unburnt fuel being ejected into the exhaust system, resulting in overrun noises. These noises are certainly heard in race cars, including at the very top level in Formula 1 cars.
Nope. You are absolutely correct.

Overrun chatter is a natural consequence of engine operation. At the top end of the RPM range (as you correctly note).

What's not natural is overrun at low-end RPM, or when you lift-off just tooling around town.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Only on .2's. .1's have it on both.
Yes that is my experience as well in testing due to this thread...lol

On my 2015 991.1 GTS CAb, I have the crackles and pops on both the Sports mode and the Sports + mode's.

I have not tested whether or not either mode has more or less or the same crackles and pops.

It is really nice having the option to tailor our sound with the PSE...
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Speaking from the perspective of a TT owner, I find the pops and burbles to be very controllable. The TT engine muffles the effect considerably, but it’s still there. I’m running an aftermarket muffler on my car, and it makes things much louder. If I’m pushing the car in sport mode, it sometimes makes pops that sound like shotgun blasts. Sometimes, that’s fun. If I’m driving with my wife with the top down, I can put the car in normal mode and put the PDK system in auto mode, and the car is hardly louder than it was with a stock muffler, and there are no pops or gurgles. It really is a Jekyl and Hyde personality for the car, and I love that.

Quick Reply: Sport exhaust backfiring and farting