Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Hill Hold on 7MT (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/947616-hill-hold-on-7mt.html)

2001f4s 08-05-2016 02:49 PM

Hill Hold on 7MT

Being in the Chicago Area, the highest hill is an overpass, so not much use for hill hold feature here. But I noticed today while coming out of a slight incline that the hill hold feature on my 2013 7MT 991 seems to hold a little too tight. When I start out it really feels as if the e-Brake is fully engaged and take a bit more gas/clutch to get the car moving. I have driven a 6MT Mini Cooper with hill hold which felt much less like the e-brake was fully engaged.

I believe that I have seen other posts here where people complain about the amount of gas/clutch to get the 7MT moving. My question here is if anyone is aware of a hill hold adjustment that can be done by owner/dealer to reduce the amount of brake applied for the hill hold function?

Thanks for looking.

Pavegeno928 08-05-2016 03:19 PM

Just release the clutch more slowly than normal and hill hold works very nicely. No need for more gas...just slower release. if you release at normal speed, a stall is more likely.

bittrl1000 08-05-2016 03:47 PM

Sorry, I'm not aware of a way to adjust this. But I will say that when I first got the car, I hated the hill hold. I found it very difficult to pull away without stalling or at least bogging the engine. But the more I've used it, the better I've gotten, and the more I appreciate the feature. Basically, I now remind myself that I don't need to quickly let the clutch out to the engagement point to stop the car from rolling back (duh!), which allows me to more slowly let out the clutch to find the engagement point.

Bishop200 08-05-2016 04:01 PM

Mine has a mind of its own. The one in my BMW works flawlessly...the 911? not so much.

LexVan 08-05-2016 04:31 PM

Our Hill Hold function works great. Here's a tip:

Never manually disengage the parking brake anymore. This will give you the needed "practice" and "feel" to properly operate the HH function. Just make sure you seatbelt is fastened. This does not work if your belt is not latched. Works in reverse and forward.

...Max... 08-05-2016 04:38 PM

So when did they start putting in hill hold - my 2012.5 doesn't seem to have it. No great shakes, but I did have to intentionally start from ebrake once on a particularly steep incline...

Have to say I did have that feature in my E93 and it worked absolutely smoothly: no extra resistance when letting clutch out. Starting from ebrake on a 991 does not feel nice enough to practice it on purpose.

bittrl1000 08-05-2016 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ...Max... (Post 13505357)
So when did they start putting in hill hold - my 2012.5 doesn't seem to have it.

That's weird. My 2012.5 has it. Perhaps hill hold is deactivated by a certain setting that you have on but that I don't? Traction control off?

...Max... 08-05-2016 04:49 PM

Nope, on. Should I start complaining to my SA? :)

...Max... 08-05-2016 04:57 PM

Hmm... I do have it described in my manual. By the looks of it ought to be activating - but doesn't seem to. Will go find an incline today and re-test.

shellbmb 08-05-2016 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ...Max... (Post 13505402)
Hmm... I do have it described in my manual. By the looks of it ought to be activating - but doesn't seem to. Will go find an incline today and re-test.

It doesn't activate on every incline. It has to be a certain degree, but don't ask me what. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

I agree with a previous poster that the BMW one works much better. But you get used to this one. Like someone else said just release the clutch slower with a tad more throttle.

It does seem like something you should be able to turn off or adjust in a settings menu. I would prefer that it releases after a couple of seconds.

shellbmb 08-05-2016 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ...Max... (Post 13505402)

Just saw you were in Dallas. Good luck finding a hill that steep! Come down to Austin and there are plenty.

...Max... 08-05-2016 06:16 PM

Good luck finding a hill that steep
Garage ramps, parking lot exits etc. I know a few. Like I said, I was living without it and didn't think much but it looks like it ought to be there but isn't. OCD kicks in.

2001f4s 08-05-2016 06:21 PM

Sounds like I need to seek out a few inclines here in the flat lands and start practicing. Thanks for all the responses.

...Max... 08-05-2016 07:32 PM

Re-tested: works. Shrug. DNR, throw back to QA :roflmao:

Doesn't feel as bad as ebrake or as smooth as what I had in BMW. On the other hand it isn't all too sensitive since it took quite a nasty ramp to engage it. Guess it's better to have it than not.

Tangerine 08-05-2016 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 13505339)
Our Hill Hold function works great. Here's a tip:

Never manually disengage the parking brake anymore. This will give you the needed "practice" and "feel" to properly operate the HH function. Just make sure you seatbelt is fastened. This does not work if your belt is not latched. Works in reverse and forward.

My S4 also has an e-brake, so I figured it was just me getting used to it, but I still dislike the 991 version of it. The S4's seems much more predictable. I also never manually disengage the 991's ebrake, so I'm quite familiar with it.

To me the root of the problem is that it catches you offguard. Without checking the dash, there's that zone where it may engage, or may not. My center of gravity can't tell the difference between 10 or 11 degrees. If you start expecting it to be active, and it's not, that's annoying. If you don't expect it to be on, and it is, that's also annoying.

To me the S4's was perfect. Never automatic, when whenever you wanted "hill hold" you'd just hit the e-brake then start normally knowing it was on. Flawless. I also think the S4's e-brake location and switch mechanism (and on/off ignition for that matter) was perfect. I love the 991, but my two biggest head scratchers are the e-brake (and hill hold implementation) and the fake key-turn thing if you have keyless ignition.