991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change ,required?, One year and 3k miles later

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I try and remember always ,that posters are asking questions because they need answers....and not to think ill of them because they dont know what I know.

Rennlist has a reputation for knowledge sharing. So crap like the couple of posts above is needless.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:09 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by points
I try and remember always ,that posters are asking questions because they need answers....and not to think ill of them because they dont know what I know. Rennlist has a reputation for knowledge sharing. So crap like the couple of posts above is needless.
I completely agree. I've owned my 991 C2S for 8 months now and I've learned so much from this forum since joining a few months ago. Isn't this forum created for people to share knowledge, experiences and enthusiasm? There are things that are discussed here that people don't find and/or missed in the Owner's Manual.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hard and fast rule is 1 year regardless of mileage. But what i find interesting is that Mobil 1 use to advertise 25k miles before changing and even went as far as driving a taxi in NYC for 100K miles with same oil with basically no wear to engine parts. And you wont find many documented cases of "your engine is shot due to oil not being changed on a regular basis" low or high oil levels will do more damage then oil that has not been changed. But fresh oil seems to give everyone (including me) a warm and fuzzy about their engine....
Old 12-08-2016, 12:59 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow---Brick killed a guy...

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Well that escalated a bit. Where is the dying laughing emoji?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:48 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the argument is that water and acids from combustion by products build up in the oil and attack the metal when it then just sits. I don't buy that. First, you have 10+ Quarts of oil in there. Thats 2.5 gallons people. The amount of acids in there are minute. Furthermore, although in theory these acids are bad, I've never seen an engine disassembled that clearly shows the damage from these acids. Finally, if you are that concerned, drain a bit, send it blackstone and see what UOA looks like. I bet they tell you the oil is good to go for another 3k miles.
Haven't heard that argument, but I've never heard any good argument for oil being no good due to age at an interval like one year. The point here is spot on.

Don't worry, and if you must worry, send a sample to blackstone and post what they conclude.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:51 AM
nache
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some have replied...stealership or indy shop..diy....change..the oil-filter....the use is also a factor.
As to frequency too.

Happy holidays............drive safe........................Ciao

Quick Reply: Oil change ,required?, One year and 3k miles later