Sponsored by:

Chrome or Black Chrome exhaust tips on Platinum Silver

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chrome or Black Chrome exhaust tips on Platinum Silver

So, I'm thinking about replacing the stock oval exhaust tips on my non-S 991 in Platinum Silver Metallic (non-PSE as well). My car has the exterior painted package so the entire rear of the car is platinum. I'm trying to decide if I should go with chrome or black chrome tips. Stock photo below for reference. There really isn't any chrome on the outside of the car so chrome tips wouldn't match anything. The current tips 'sort of' match the brushed look on the Carrera Classic wheels but not really. Not that there is any other black chrome hanging around either! My initial thought was chrome but the black chrome would stand out a bit against the platinum (and would hide exhaust filth a little better).

If anyone has example pictures of either that would be awesome!

Planning to do the FabSpeed X-pipe at the same time and take advantage of the current 10% off.

Name:  Tips_zpskedymqtw.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  180.2 KB
Old 07-28-2016, 01:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Are the base tips removable? If so, send your tips to CCP in Detroit for ceramic powder coating. I did mine in satin black. They have other colors, too.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 PM
zx5go
Racer

Ceramic coating is an option. We have several coaters here in the area. One of which I have used (ok they were tractor parts but still).

Coating would be fairly cheap. I guess I have to decided if it is worth $500 for the 'bling' factor of a little shine (whether chrome or black chrome). I do prefer the dual tip design over the single large oval also.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by zx5go
Ceramic coating is an option. We have several coaters here in the area. One of which I have used (ok they were tractor parts but still).

Coating would be fairly cheap. I guess I have to decided if it is worth $500 for the 'bling' factor of a little shine (whether chrome or black chrome). I do prefer the dual tip design over the single large oval also.
CCP should be able to do your tips for about $250-ish with good turnaround. Maybe do in the fall, when (if) you hibernate your car for winter??

My tips now have over 31,000 miles, and they still look brand new.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM
zx5go
Racer

I had the entire exhaust system on my Ford 8n tractor black ceramic coated locally for under $100 and less than a week. One of the (few) benefits of living in a rural area!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:05 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

get them black and black out the letters. here is mine powdercoated.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:16 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I may be headed down a slippery slope ....... Black exhaust tips, lettering, and GTS engine cover. (Wish the cover wasn't so expensive).
Old 07-28-2016, 02:21 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I have Platunum Silver as well, but not with the painted rear valance, mine is still black. The only chrome (on the whole car actually) is the lettering on the back. None on the front or sides unless the headlite trim and side lites (clear) counts. I do not have PSE either but I do have a 4S so quad tips. I purchased (used on eBay) OEM chrome tips for mine. I like it. For your silver valance, black tips would seem right except they will totally blend in the shadows. The Fabspeed chrome tips are very nice. I would go that route but it's your car. If you are changing the exhaust, their quad tips (black or chrome) will look awesome! Good luck.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:22 PM
zx5go
Racer

I'm considering de-badging the back. I've never been a fan of the font used for the Porsche on the back.

Maybe pull a badge from an older model when the Carrera was larger and go that route.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:41 PM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If lookin, I have an AWE with chrome tips for sale...sorry shameless plug please delete if not appropriate

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l-non-pse.html

obo

Quick Reply: Chrome or Black Chrome exhaust tips on Platinum Silver