Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Thoughts on PSS v PSC2? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/945758-thoughts-on-pss-v-psc2.html)

Highyo 07-25-2016 06:35 PM

Thoughts on PSS v PSC2?

so i'm getting up to about 8,000 miles on the pzeros, which i think are very serviceable and decent tires and i'm one of the many that notes with chagrin that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to be in very short supply (the super sports currently for sale on TR.com are not NO rated, i'm not sure if they actually even sell NO rated?)

that leads me to the next question, and maybe no one has had the back to back testing of both these tires, but i have noticed that the Pilot Sport Cup 2 are NO rated, reviewed wonderfully (even in the wet), and available at slight premium to the OEM pzeros.

so has anyone tried these in 245/305? can they compare the two?

would love to hear some thoughts

shizzle 07-25-2016 06:47 PM

I've used both. If you're only driving on street, PSS is the way to go. If you do to the track, use PSC2 for more grip. Both excellent tires, just really depends how you drive.

smmmurf 07-25-2016 06:47 PM

I'm thinking of downgrading from PSC2 to PSS on my GT4 given that I drive it exclusively on the street. I would be interested in reading the comparisons as well.

Highyo 07-25-2016 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by shizzle (Post 13477348)
I've used both. If you're only driving on street, PSS is the way to go. If you do to the track, use PSC2 for more grip. Both excellent tires, just really depends how you drive.

now why is that? are the PSC2 louder? less road worthy in what way? i'm not a track rat, so it will be almost exclusively for street use. i just wonder what exactly i'm giving up...

Archimedes 07-25-2016 07:05 PM

The questions are simple. How much money do you want to spend annually on tires and how much do you care about grip in the cold or wet or cold and wet?

SC2s are going to cost a fair bit more per mile of life and offer less grip in the cold and wet. Outright dry grip comes at a cost.

Highyo 07-25-2016 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 13477392)
The questions are simple. How much money do you want to spend annually on tires and how much do you care about grip in the cold or wet or cold and wet?

SC2s are going to cost a fair bit more per mile of life and offer less grip in the cold and wet. Outright dry grip comes at a cost.

it is my opinion that summer tires should be run in the summer so both are at least on equal footing in that regard. sub 35 degrees turns all of these compounds into hockey pucks.

so i have eliminated winter/cold driving. and i guess if i get caught in the rain i will have to learn the limits of the SS vs the cup 2s. are they that much worse?

hsmith 07-25-2016 08:56 PM

I have PSC2's however i do drive on the track. They offer substantially more grip than the stock Pzeros and i imagine the PSS. That being said, if i weren't going to track my car, i would go with more of a street tire such as the PSS.

Highyo 07-26-2016 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by hsmith (Post 13477670)
I have PSC2's however i do drive on the track. They offer substantially more grip than the stock Pzeros and i imagine the PSS. That being said, if i weren't going to track my car, i would go with more of a street tire such as the PSS.

Please explain why? Is it noise? Excessive wear? Fear of driving in the wet?

hsmith 07-26-2016 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Highyo (Post 13478615)
Please explain why? Is it noise? Excessive wear? Fear of driving in the wet?

I just think they are overkill for street use only. I felt my GTS had more than enough grip with the P zeros on the street. On the track its a different story. On track when the tires are experience significantly higher temps, its better to have a track oriented tire such as the PSC2. My Pzeros were degrading rapidly on track as its not a track tire and couldn't cope with the heat.

Jnosol 07-26-2016 10:49 AM

For the street, you cannot beat MPSS. It's quiet, grips like its on rails, great in the rain, and has the longest life of any tires in its segment.

Highyo 07-26-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jnosol (Post 13478938)
For the street, you cannot beat MPSS. It's quiet, grips like its on rails, great in the rain, and has the longest life of any tires in its segment.

are you guys ok not using the NO rated MPSS?

Highyo 07-26-2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by hsmith (Post 13478870)
I just think they are overkill for street use only. I felt my GTS had more than enough grip with the P zeros on the street. On the track its a different story. On track when the tires are experience significantly higher temps, its better to have a track oriented tire such as the PSC2. My Pzeros were degrading rapidly on track as its not a track tire and couldn't cope with the heat.

my take away from this is that the psc2 are too good for street.

Jnosol 07-26-2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Highyo (Post 13479090)
my take away from this is that the psc2 are too good for street.

Not that it's too good, it's a waste. PSC2 are half the life, costs more, and you're not going to be able to find its limit on the street (unless you really try). Hell, you'll have a hard time finding the limits of the MPSS as well.

Just use non-N0 and non-K3 Ferrari specs. Just to compare apples to apples for the MPSS, K3 Ferrari specs have 9/32" tread vs normal 10/32" tread. Most likely they're attempting to shave weight the day it's mounted for better performance. For the street, I'd rather have more tread life and screw the 2lbs savings. Plus, the rear K3 Ferrari has 11.4" tread width and regular has 11.8" tread width (meatier look).

Tire Rack have lots of MPSS options.

Highyo 07-26-2016 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jnosol (Post 13479209)
Not that it's too good, it's a waste. PSC2 are half the life, costs more, and you're not going to be able to find its limit on the street (unless you really try). Hell, you'll have a hard time finding the limits of the MPSS as well.

Just use non-N0 and non-K3 Ferrari specs. Just to compare apples to apples for the MPSS, K3 Ferrari specs have 9/32" tread vs normal 10/32" tread. Most likely they're attempting to shave weight the day it's mounted for better performance. For the street, I'd rather have more tread life and screw the 2lbs savings.

Tire Rack have lots of MPSS options.

ah ok so the tires wont last as long. thats good to know. i dont really know what an NO spec MPSS even means at this stage

Jnosol 07-26-2016 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Highyo (Post 13479225)
ah ok so the tires wont last as long. thats good to know. i dont really know what an NO spec MPSS even means at this stage

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=26&

As long as the new tires (front/rear) have the same rolling diameter as OEM (within 1% delta), you're good. MPSS and OEM Pirelli P Zero have the same rolling diameters, despite the difference in tread width. Computer will not throw any error if the delta is less than 1.5%, at least for BMWs.