991.2 individual mode bug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:17 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 individual mode bug?

Hi,

I noticed something annoying, wondering if others are seeing the same. Kids love the spoiler being up ("if not, it's an old mans car"), so we set the Individual mode to include spoiler. But it only works 50% of the time! Let's say the spoiler is not up. I get in the car, flip to Individual, and turn it on. Drive off, spoiler comes up. Park the car, spoiler remains up. Get back to the car, repeat the same process, and it puts the spoiler down as you drive off. It's almost as if the spoiler setting is a "toggle existing state" rather than a "engage spoiler".

I'm a software guy, and this very much feels like a software bug to me. Just wondering if others have noticed something similar - and additionally, what's the proper process for filing this issue with Porsche/dealer?
Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

I wish I could help but I don't have .2 I found this interesting article about Fiat Chrysler paying $1500 to find bugs in their software. http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...kers-find-bugs
Old 07-22-2016, 03:39 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by n2cars
I wish I could help but I don't have .2 I found this interesting article about Fiat Chrysler paying $1500 to find bugs in their software. http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...kers-find-bugs
That's a great way to go, lots of sw companies do the same thing (for security issues). I guess I just need to figure out how to exploit this bug into a security issue and I'm sure Porsche would reward me with a GT2 RS...
Old 07-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

It's not a glitch. It's the car telling you not the drive around with the spoiler up. You're embarrassing it...
Old 07-22-2016, 04:37 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Porsche is not blind to the fact that manually raising the spoiler and driving around town at 15mph is a gross violation of proper decorum. So they do all they can to prevent it. Including "bugs" designed to placate people who don't realize this immutable fact and insist on doing it anyway. So, for the safety of all concerned, they put in a "Placebo Programming Feature" that makes you think the spoiler has raised because you programmed it to do so. But in reality, the SW has protected you from this breach of etiquette.

Alas, you just had to look back there and confirm the spoiler, thereby defeating the built-in safety feature.

EDIT: Arch beat me to it.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:48 PM
knasman
Instructor

Haha, to each his own. As I said, I blame this mostly on the boys. My default mode is Sport, but they insist on the spoiler.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:09 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

They need to figure out how to get the duck tail on the new model. STAT.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:45 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
They need to figure out how to get the duck tail on the new model. STAT.
Yet another reason ducked-up 991.1s are going to be bringing Carrera RS 2.7 money at Monterey in 15 years.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

My understanding (this is 991.1 but I think 991.2 is the same):

First: The button is not persistent and the state is not stored when the car is shut off.

Second: The tail, when in auto mode, has two thresholds, 75 mph for up, and 37 mph for down.

Third: The tail will alter its state when it crosses the appropriate threshold - while in auto mode (the default).

If the tail was up when you shut down the car, then it should remain up when you restart it. If you then raise the tail (press the button, though it is already up) before you take off you are overriding the automatic feature and the tail will remain up due to your manual override. If you do not press the button (to raise the tail that is already up) the car will default to auto mode and raise/lower based on the thresholds.

Fun facts: If you manually raise the tail with windows or sunroof open it will NOT raise to the extended position, it will only do that in auto mode.

The wind buffet device on the leading edge of the sunroof will lower itself when the car goes over 100 mph with the sunroof open.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
My understanding (this is 991.1 but I think 991.2 is the same):

First: The button is not persistent and the state is not stored when the car is shut off.
Right. But the 991.2 has an "individual mode" alongside Sport and Sport+, where you can define exactly what you want on. One of them is the spoiler. So it's orthogonal to the issue of whether the normal spoiler button is persistent across runs (it's not, for 991.1/2).

If the spoiler is defined to being on for individual mode, I expect it to be on when I switch to individual mode. It's that simple. Similarly to how I'd expect the other options set by individual mode to turn on/off, depending on how I set it up.

I agree with you on the rest of your items. But I'm very sure that the individual mode w/spoiler not working is a BUG.

Quick Reply: 991.2 individual mode bug?