Sponsored by:

GTS centre lock nut weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by caritch
I use sonax on my wheels. No issue yet. They specifically say on their site "Our wheel cleaner is safe on ALL wheel finishes: aluminum and alloys; painted, anodized and clear coated". It's a German product.
same here, no issues on my .1 GTS CLs. Been using Sonax for over 3 years on it.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:28 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

This is what I use after each wash. Adds shine and protection and the CLs always look like new.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I too have used Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner for 2 years without issue. I e-mailed Adams support specifically about the CL and this is their response: "Our wheel cleaner is a PH balanced product with a lot of cleaning agents in it. For your safety, you can use the wheel cleaner non-diluted but, in your scenario, we suggest that you dilute the wheel cleaner 50/50, so half cleaner and half water." I plan to do that going forward.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:36 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If possible, use a wheel cleaner that states it's "TUV" approved - see the description below for the P21s wheel cleaner.

http://www.autogeek.net/5litcan.html
Approved by German automakers for cleaning wheels prone to brake dust.

The German TUV is an independent consumer testing agency that can make or break a product based on their recommendations. This group is respected worldwide for their rigorous testing and stringent standards. So when the TUV recommended brake pads made with graphite, German auto manufacturers listened. This is the reason why German-made vehicles produce such an inordinate amount of brake dust.

To remove brake dust and thereby prevent its corrosive effects, a German chemist developed P21S Wheel Cleaners. It didn’t take long for top automakers like Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and Audi, to adopt P21S as their product of choice for cleaning and maintaining their factory alloy wheels.

P21S Wheel Cleaners are not your average cleaners. They safely lift brake dust, road grime, and grease off your wheels without corroding the clear coat on alloy wheels. Many people don’t know their wheels even have a clear coat until they have destroyed it with a harsh cleaner. P21S Wheel Cleaners can be used on any type of wheels or wheel coating without fear of corrosion or abrasion.

P21S Wheel Cleaner comes in two formulas: one for moderately soiled wheels and one for heavily soiled wheels. The High Performance Wheel Cleaner is for wheels that are regularly cleaned and have a relatively thin coating of brake dust. This cleaner is probably all you need for typical American and Japanese vehicles. The Special Performance Gel Concentrate is for wheels with a thick coating of brake dust and grime. These may be neglected wheels or German-made wheels that are prone to brake dust.

P21S Wheel Cleaners are easy to use. Just spray on and rinse off with a powerful stream of water. Tough spots may require some agitation with a sponge.

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-colourtec-wheel-cleaner.html
Old 01-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I just noticed this for the first time after having my tires changed at the dealer. Never happened before after 2 years ownership..I admit I let the dealer (for the first time) clean the car because I was lazy and it was winter ..never again. Is this from the torque wrench or a defect in the bolt? I have used 2 different wheel cleaners and never before had this problem.

Last edited by Sharm; 01-13-2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Don't think its torque wrench as whole nut seems messed up. And it doesn't seem scratched, rather that the finish got chemically damaged. How do the wheels look? Maybe they just scrubbed too hard with a harsh chemical? How do the wheels look? Also do all 4 CLs look the same? Go back to them and have them replace all 4 CL nuts.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Don't think its torque wrench as whole nut seems messed up. And it doesn't seem scratched, rather that the finish got chemically damaged. How do the wheels look? Maybe they just scrubbed too hard with a harsh chemical? How do the wheels look? Also do all 4 CLs look the same? Go back to them and have them replace all 4 CL nuts.
The wheels actually looks fine. Yes all 4. I was reading above and apparently the center bolt is anodized aluminum while the wheel is painted, so the bolt is susceptible to this type of damage. I'm going to take it back when they open. Will report back.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I have my 911.2 GTS coming next week with CLs... Does anyone here use Optimum FerreX for cleaning your wheels? This is what my detailer and I use to clean wheels (Works really well), might have to find something else if this causes the finish to come off. Plus when I get the car coated with gtechniq crystal serum, the wheels also get coated
Old 01-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
I just noticed this for the first time after having my tires changed at the dealer. Never happened before after 2 years ownership..I admit I let the dealer (for the first time) clean the car because I was lazy and it was winter ..never again. Is this from the torque wrench or a defect in the bolt? I have used 2 different wheel cleaners and never before had this problem.
Neither. It was from the industrial grade, acidic wheel cleaner the dealer used. Have them replace if they truly didn’t look like that before.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 AM
DaveyGTS
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Refurbed centre locks

Originally Posted by Ernesto Schmitt
Hello all. My GTS's centre lock nuts have discoloured a weird, mottled white-grey. See picture below. It's very noticeable against the black rims, and distinctly unattractive. I have been enjoying the car on track, and wonder if the wheels getting hot have led to this? However I can't imagine they're meant to discolour like that regardless of track use. Any thoughts?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DaveyGTS

How and where did you get this refurbish done? What method - anodized? powder coat?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
How and where did you get this refurbish done? What method - anodized? powder coat?
Looks to me like they were painted.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM
DaveyGTS
2nd Gear

They are anodized I stripped them down there are 5 separate parts in total and had them anodized properly, they are satin black but you can have a range of colours... you never see a Lamborghini with white centre locks.. I can arrange for yours to be done if you wish cost is around £250 per set, however if the cone collapses due to them being overheated as a result of track use we cannot be held responsible usual turn around is 2 to 3 days plus shipping time. You do lose the white lettering but you can still see the writing in black regards David
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:13 PM
caritch
Instructor

Two of mine (post a car wash) had the issue and I rubbed a small amount of olive oil on them (which was a remedy in another thread). Tech at dealer said that was ok. They look like new.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by trucheli
This is what I use after each wash. Adds shine and protection and the CLs always look like new.

Just bought some of this Adams spray and have to say that it does given the CLs a nice look and shine. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: GTS centre lock nut weirdness