Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full load a/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:50 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems like the car shuts off the air-conditioning compressor briefly under full throttle. Does anyone know if our engines are programmed to do this? Load shedding in favor of maximum power like something they would do. It's quite noticeable right after you get into the car after it sits in the hot sun for a while.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I think most cars are set to shut off the compressor once full throttle is sensed.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

n8kruger,

Yes, the A/C cutoff on full load is by design.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:52 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is interesting. by "full load" do you guys mean driving hard?

so I picked up my new 991.2 at the PEC in Atlanta 6 weeks ago and drove back to South Florida. On the first day's drive, after driving for about 4 hours or so, it felt like the A/C just stopped working on its own. this was while just cruising on the highway between 70 and 80 mph... outside temp was probably in the mid 80s.... so not particularly hard load... I was really flipped out that this would happen to a brand new car.... So I just turned it off for a couple of minutes and then turned it back on and it never quit again... but I have not had drives as long since to compare again.. is the A/C designed to behave like this? thank you
Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Definitely not. See if it occurs again. If so than that warrants a trip to the service department.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's supposed to cut out at full throttle. I agree anything else would be suspect. I would for floor it a few seconds and then for a few seconds later get a blast of warm air from the vents then it cools down after I back off. I knew you could steer these cars with your right foot but I didn't know we had a multi function gas pedal!
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, I thought only airplanes did the load shed thing...lol
Old 06-10-2016, 10:36 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
this is interesting. by "full load" do you guys mean driving hard?
Years ago the mechanics to turn off the AC when the engine was under a load were where either a vacuum switch (no vacuum you are under load) or a micro switch on throttle linkage. With electronic engine management its done by either RPM or 'load' in the DME.

Originally Posted by LCW
On the first day's drive, after driving for about 4 hours or so, it felt like the A/C just stopped working on its own. this was while just cruising on the highway between 70 and 80 mph. So I just turned it off for a couple of minutes and then turned it back on and it never quit again
This could be the AC systems sensors designed to turn off the AC under certain conditions.
For example:
A) a temperature sensor in the evaporator core will turn off the system or comp clutch when the core temperature nears freezing. OR
B) a low pressure switch on the suction side will turn off the system or comp clutch when pressures drop below a certain set point (however usually not found Porsche systems that use a TEV system.

OR

If you mean by " it felt like the A/C just stopped working "
A) The vents stopped blowing air in the cockpit, could be the evaporator core froze up reducing the volume of air, or the evaporator core froze up and the vent temperatures rose. In this scenario the evap core freeze sensor was not doing its job. By turning off the AC for awhile the evap core's ice will melt and things return to normal.
B) You got to find the gremlin causing the problem by further describing what was going on, such as: no air from vents, out clutch hub on ac comp stopped turning, etc.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:45 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by griffiths
Years ago the mechanics to turn off the AC when the engine was under a load were where either a vacuum switch (no vacuum you are under load) or a micro switch on throttle linkage. With electronic engine management its done by either RPM or 'load' in the DME.This could be the AC systems sensors designed to turn off the AC under certain conditions.
For example:
A) a temperature sensor in the evaporator core will turn off the system or comp clutch when the core temperature nears freezing. OR
B) a low pressure switch on the suction side will turn off the system or comp clutch when pressures drop below a certain set point (however usually not found Porsche systems that use a TEV system.

OR

If you mean by " it felt like the A/C just stopped working "
A) The vents stopped blowing air in the cockpit, could be the evaporator core froze up reducing the volume of air, or the evaporator core froze up and the vent temperatures rose. In this scenario the evap core freeze sensor was not doing its job. By turning off the AC for awhile the evap core's ice will melt and things return to normal.
B) You got to find the gremlin causing the problem by further describing what was going on, such as: no air from vents, out clutch hub on ac comp stopped turning, etc.
Usually these type of sensors usually don't lock the system out. Hopefully it was a one time computer glitch and a restart sorted it out.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:47 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you both

Quick Reply: Full load a/c