Sponsored by:

How many litres of oil would a dealer service charge

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 AM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many litres of oil would a dealer service charge

Just had my 911-50th serviced by the Porsche dealer, and on the invoice I see I have been charged for 12 litres + 1 additional litre for in the boot (total of 13 litres then).

I would expect no more than 9 litres though?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I agree. No more than 8 or 9. You got either overfilled or overcharged. Make that call. Refund.

*and you don't need one for the boot. These cars rarely consume oil, and no need to pay dealership charges for a back-up litre of oil when you can purchase for less money at any store.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

would love to hear the explanation for this one
Old 05-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

They must thought you had an air cooled
Porsche, which takes about 11.5qt. Might need to call the dealer to either drain the excess oil or give you a refund on 5qt of oil. The 991 takes about 8qt.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:47 PM
pvr
Instructor

I had filled in the Porsche GB customer satisfaction survey and had made some comments on a number of points, waiting for the dealer to come back to me:

- There was already a pouch of 1 litre unopened Mobil 1 oil that came with the car. Why add a second one in the trunk and charge me for that.
- Delivered the car to the dealer full of windscreen washer. They managed to add another $15 worth of screenwash into it - I complained that the car was covered from the front to the back in screenwash where they must have almost emptied the tank in "test' spraying it by the looks of it.
- The service invoice states - service for 997.2. Probably a typo, but why not 991 in there.

Will be interesting to see the reply - bet it will take a while to get that ...
Old 05-23-2016, 04:41 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Before jumping to conclusions about intent or ignorance-- keep in mind it could have been simply the wrong job code selected which charges a set amount of labor and so on. I had this happen once where a code was used which wasn't for my car. No excuses for not catching, but your SA should have corrected before handing paperwork back to you.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:45 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Before jumping to conclusions about intent or ignorance-- keep in mind it could have been simply the wrong job code selected which charges a set amount of labor and so on. I had this happen once where a code was used which wasn't for my car. No excuses for not catching, but your SA should have corrected before handing paperwork back to you.
True. I brought my own oil in last visit. The invoicing code/paperwork automatically populated the oil charge. They apologized and refunded it.

Best to just pick up the phone and handle it. Endless posts and submitting a survey doesn't accomplish much/if anything.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:09 PM
pvr
Instructor

The SA emailed me earlier today on the back of the survey, I responded to him direct with all the (detail) queries. The survey was just high level comments.

If no response in the morning, I will give him a call tomorrow afternoon to sort it all.

I wanted to confirm the facts first of the amount of oil that the car takes so I have the correct data. Sixth sigma and so
Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi, I am very interested to know the answer. I just did my first oil change at the dealer and brought my own oil (5w50) and they used only 7 liters. I guess the technician didn't wait long enough.
How would you know that the oil filter has really been changed?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 AM
bandi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting that your UK cars come with a litre in the boot. Yep, they're hosing you so hope they make it right. Not that it kills any of us, just the idea of dealers kicking sand in our faces. I've had the same problem with windshield washer fluid. Have learned to always have it full when going in for service then there's no room for their "fill". And it's still appeared on the invoice at times! Either way, looking the bill over at the cashier and complaining usually fixes the gouge.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:45 AM
pvr
Instructor

I called them this morning as they did not respond to the email I had sent. It gets weirder.

Their 1 litre bottle of oil with all the bits and pieces for the boot is charged at £8.50, but they state that their bulk oil is charged at £13 a litre! Never heard that one before that bulk is so much more expensive than the top up oil ... They should not have put that litre of oil in the boot next to the other unopened one, but unfortunately I was only speaking to a general service advisor who could only pass on the messages to the service manager when he was free later on.

It is not about the money as such - it is about being ripped off.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:59 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by pvr

It is not about the money as such - it is about being ripped off.
I noticed when my old service advisor left for greener pastures the "new guy" utilized his i-pad more then anything reading off all the "recommended" services in addition to what I specifically asked for which really caught me off guard when he said as a cost of $x,xxx.

I've learned that you have to be really clear on what your expectations are and know ahead of time what is included in the services or you might walk out with issues like you did and not really realize it until after you settle up and leave the dealership.

We are all busy and I actually get a little excited every time I go to the dealership so it would be easy to slip in some additional services if I was not on my game or know the service schedule for your car. Plus being active on this forum can be your greatest tool for not being bamboozled at the dealership.

Now the "new guy" actually "guys" now know I'm a car guy and know my car probably better then they do so they don't "up sale" me any more services.

Please post up your outcome of your latest service.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:50 PM
pvr
Instructor

This is the response I got back (part) about the oil price:

"
With regarding the oil charge on the invoice there has been booked out 7.5 litres at £13.60 as we are on the fixed price structure to make the amount add to the agreed value we have to charge out the oil this way "

So it would have been a lot cheaper if he put in 7.5 bottles of the top up oil at £8.50 a litre ...

Getting a refund for the 1 litre oil in the boot, the courtesy car charge and the screenwash. All peanuts compared to the "bulk" oil charge of course. Next time I will put in the two 4 litre Mobil 1 containers in the car costing about half of what they charge.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

PVR, what is your dealers hourly rate?

Quick Reply: How many litres of oil would a dealer service charge