Sponsored by:

Belated intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belated intro

Hi, my name is Max and I am a Porscheholic...

2012 C2S 7MT White/Espresso
PDLS, PSP, PP+, entry & drive, light design
Full leather, 14 way heated/ventilated seats

I have been bitten by the pop-eyed bug pretty hard when looking for my previous car. Due to a necessary compromise -- needed a functional rear seat back then -- I have successfully resisted and ended up with a E93/N54. Over the years, my patient wife has grown tired of every Carrera we met on the road becoming an instant conversation piece and firmly adopted the "Just buy the damn thing already!" stance. So here I am.

My early impressions after the first two weeks:

- It is as ergonomically perfect as I remembered from my first test drive of a [I think] 997.1, years ago. Best driving position I've ever been able to tweak out in any car. Nearly perfect visibility (BMW could beat it only with top down). All controls fall to hand. The only gripe is the e-brake which I still forget to release at times -- too used to the real lever next to the seat. Oh well.

- I didn't quite expect this: it is more of a car than I'm used to. I do feel a healthy degree of intimidation: revs climb too fast, steering stays spookily neutral however much speed I carry into the turn etc. It will be an extended learning experience -- I'd rather have that than a body shop bill. Very much appreciate the suspension though, especially the convincing rubber ball impression it makes on the crowned intersections when the entire car seemingly jumps at once without diving (or God forbid, bottoming out).

- It makes noises! Not the "something expensive is about to break" noises but "listen to this if you want to know what I'm doing" noises. All sorts of odd whirrs and creaks on parking lot speeds (must be that PSP); A/C whistles and gurgles; some odd ones I wasn't even able to decipher yet.

Time will tell how well it wears. Right now it is in better shape than I could possibly expect from a 4 year old car (read: pristine), but I am, alas, not known for fastidiousness. The soft natural leather is a particular concern, especially in the perforated areas: I am rather afraid it'll scuff a lot. The wheels are a potential headache as well; for the time being I am climbing every speed bump as if it were Mt. Everest... That said, I kinda suspect Porsche ownership being like that other place where you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave :-)

Probably enough for one post. Can't stop myself from one last oh btw: the frunk! The one and only thing I had so much misgivings about, and how convenient, spacious and usable it proved to be. Just goes to show...

Im Himmel gibt's kein Porsche
Old 05-21-2016, 04:55 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Well done sir. Love the espresso full leather. Agree about the stupid Ebrake but it is so flat where I live I never use it. Welcome to the club.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on a beautiful spec'd machine! Looks great. Yes, as SMZ stated-love that espresso interior!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:27 PM
eddiek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also went from an M3 e93, then M4 f83 with similar concerns. Same conversation with my wife as well. Targa 4S on order and can't wait! Enjoy the new ride!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Hey Max. Welcome to the club. It will be a rewarding purchase.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health! We have very similar cars, except I have sports chrono and no leather. Love your build.

I had an E92 with JB4 and FBO for 2 years. Some of the best value I've seen in a German car, and surprisingly reliable.

I got a C63 before my 991, and all of that insane power and.....interesting handling (even with the optional LSD) improved my driving ability such that I really appreciate the predictability and neutrality of the 991 and haven't had any scary experiences yet.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:49 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Well, the bimmer understeered consistently at relatively sane turn rates. The 911 on a fast left-hand 90 degree feels like "corner? what corner? we were turning?". I'll keep probing for the limits (carefully) -- just about the best fun to be had in car.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

yep enjoy.....and love the stick... well done!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:14 PM
OMFS
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Belated intro