Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTI daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm contemplating trading in my 6 month old, loaded, 5 series for one of these. How loud is the interior for highway cruising?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2011 GTI manual as a DD, my wife just bought a 2017 R. Love them both.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

We have a 2017 Golf R as well (wife's car + grocery getter), picked it up late November and I absolutely love it. Just a great driving experience, extremely composed chassis, very fast, and excellent handling. With all of the snow lately it has proven to be a beast, AWD + snow tires is a great combo.

Highly recommended and frankly it is hard to think of another vehicle available (in Canada at least) around $40k with the same level of fit/finish, quality, comfort, performance, features, and utility. I actually drove the R into work today to give my 911 a rest.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'm contemplating trading in my 6 month old, loaded, 5 series for one of these. How loud is the interior for highway cruising?
Not terribly loud. But not on the level of the F10. I had one.

You'll take a bath, though. Is the 528 THAT bad?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Not terribly loud. But not on the level of the F10. I had one.

You'll take a bath, though. Is the 528 THAT bad?
528 with M trim. I got a good enough deal on a CPO and someone else taking a 45% bath in the first 6 months on the road that I'm not worried. It's a fine appliance for sure, I just think I'd have been happier with a gti or r. My only hesitation is road trips and being able to do conference calls.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

528 with M trim. I got a good enough deal on a CPO and someone else taking a 45% bath in the first 6 months on the road that I'm not worried. It's a fine appliance for sure, I just think I'd have been happier with a gti or r. My only hesitation is road trips and being able to do conference calls.
Got it.

I haven't had mine long enough to see how people comment on the Bluetooth connection. But it's not that loud inside. Certainly quieter than the cab!

As for the Funfer, yours is probably a lot better than mine was. I had the first year with the full semi-active suspension (adaptive shocks and adjustable anti-roll bars) and I hated it. The later versions with the 704 M Sport suspension were much better, but it's still a big boat. The F10 was tuned for comfort. The GTI is a hell of a lot more fun. So was an E60 5 series.

But I have the Cayenne for long distance road trips. Not sure if you have something similar. I wouldn't want to stuff the whole family in the GTI for a long weekend...not enough luggage space.

To me, I've now got the perfect garage on my budget. The 911 can fit the 4 of us for a fun day / night out. The GTI is a perfect, satisfying daily runabout that can still take the 4 of us on a trip with not much luggage. And the Cayenne is the workhorse and my wife loves driving it every day.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Got it.

I haven't had mine long enough to see how people comment on the Bluetooth connection. But it's not that loud inside. Certainly quieter than the cab!

As for the Funfer, yours is probably a lot better than mine was. I had the first year with the full semi-active suspension (adaptive shocks and adjustable anti-roll bars) and I hated it. The later versions with the 704 M Sport suspension were much better, but it's still a big boat. The F10 was tuned for comfort. The GTI is a hell of a lot more fun. So was an E60 5 series.

But I have the Cayenne for long distance road trips. Not sure if you have something similar. I wouldn't want to stuff the whole family in the GTI for a long weekend...not enough luggage space.

To me, I've now got the perfect garage on my budget. The 911 can fit the 4 of us for a fun day / night out. The GTI is a perfect, satisfying daily runabout that can still take the 4 of us on a trip with not much luggage. And the Cayenne is the workhorse and my wife loves driving it every day.
Wife has an X3 and it's okay. She brought a nissan rogue into our marriage so its a big improvement. Its a 2013 so lacks the nice updates - kind of like your old 5er vs mine.

I'm OCD about my 911 and would like something fun but nothing I have to stress about in parking decks and grocery trips. Really wish I could have 5 or 6 cars... squeeze something offroad in there too
Old 02-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I needed a "winter car" since I decided to leave the plow on the truck most of the winter. PITA to swap it out in a snow storm, or in the dark and cold.

I leased a Subie Forester for a couple years. Very utilitarian, but boring. So, I swapped it for a 2016 WRX with MT. Yes, miss the MT in the Turbo P-car. Optioned a sport shifter, then took it to a tuner.

We added aftermarket bits ... cat back exhaust (not a loud one), air box, some other "pipes" and "stuff" ... then tuned it to around 320 rwhp with 310 lb/ft of torque.

This thing is really fun to drive. And, with dedicated snows on winter rims, it goes ANYWHERE ! I love the AWD.

I may keep this car!

Last edited by Baggerdude; 02-14-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Desertpcar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had 2 GTIs and a Golf R in addition to the various 911s in the stable over the years. Currently our 2017 GTI is a great errand/wife car and a hoot to drive when not in the C4S. We lease the VWs to avoid reliability issues that have plagued them in the past.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to a local VW dealer to trade in my daily Beetle nearly two months ago, did not want to give me fair market value for it and wouldn't budge on the price of the Golf R
Ended up with a much less practical car, close to 9% off msrp on this Golf R sedan

Old 02-18-2017, 02:47 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

"Daily Driver" 485whp 392ftlbs

Old 12-31-2017, 12:05 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 50 Posts

Got my new daily driver to go along with my 991.2 and 997 daily drivers? I'm confusing myself. Can't resist the GTI's for their fun factor. APR software update along with factory Performance Pack and these things scoot!

The 991.2 hiding in the garage
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ispool
sorry to resurrect this threat - I noticed that reliability wasn't addressed. Have you GTI owners (particularly 2012 and newer) had a lot of reliability issues?
No reliability issues. Been a great car to drive. I typically put on 15,000-20,000 miles a year on them then get a new one.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:35 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

In addition to the Cayenne Diesel and 911, our fleet includes a '12 Jetta GLI and a '17 Tiguan (the little, German made stubby one). Love them both. The GLI has been through two kids and still looks and runs like new. Very fun car to drive. The "Tig" is my DD for train station duty and all the nasty places you don't want to take a Porsche and it's a great little truck to drive. No GTI- but really hardy little truck. Highly recommend if you need something more practical with AWD.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:28 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the R, but the GTI and GLI can be made quieter by unplugging the "Soundaktor". In the GTI, it's pretty obnoxious (son loves it), and it radiates from the windshield. I love the GTI as a road trip car.

Quick Reply: GTI daily driver?