Sponsored by:

Can the 991 door trim be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Pics of your interior got into my head a long time ago....which is why I have a new Sapphire Blue painted interior on order!

Your car is stunning!

Yes, I can't wait to see yours in person - photos aren't enough!!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufus
I have the chance to get the full set from a dismantler, and it is in perfect condition. However, i dont want to buy it and find out that i cannot replace in any way the door trims.

Do you know if anyone has done it ?
It's my understanding that the trim is held in place by riveted/welded plastic and I've seen examples where people have broken off the old trim and glued replacement trim in place. It's not ideal but it should work.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:30 PM
FloridaMarco
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa! It is absolutely possible to replace the strips -- I have done it! I posted on this site, maybe a year ago, just do not remember. My door panels (interior) were removed. The decorative strips are secured via snap-in nubs, which can be popped off (and yes, they pop back in). You can see that I removed my chrome strips and replaced them with red leather. The Porsche dealer charged me about $275 for the removal / reinstall labor. I had to pay an upholstery shop to trim the chrome strips in leather.

The following users liked this post:
mcomet (08-05-2024)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

and I took Florida Marco's lead and had mine redone in stealth red carbon fiber. It can definitely be done

just depends on how bad you want it and how handy you are.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:23 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

If the car had aluminum, carbon, or leather wrapped trims from the factory they can be changed by drilling out the rivets from behind. See MJG911 post for detail
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9731...l#post13950136

However, if the car has stock standard door cards, look closely at the door trim strips / spears. They are molded into the door skin. I think this is the reason some folks say you can't change them. Unless someone has cut them out, it looks like this is true.

Door card with optional, separate trim strips. Notice the plastic rivits.

Standard door card with molded in trim. Notice no plastic rivits.

Standard door card with molded in door trim, no rivits

Does anyone have a part number for paintable trim strips? Aluminum? Maybe it would be worth further investigation on retrofitting these to std door panels if parts are available?

Update:
Looking at the back of the std door cards, there are no "U" channels molded in the plastic door card for the trim. Unfortunately, it doesn't look possible to retrofit painted trims to a "standard" door card.

Last edited by DanQ; 01-07-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Linked mgs911 info
Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

I guess you could buy some of the aftermarket stick-on carbon fiber overlays and paint then, but I doubt it would look factory.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaMarco
Whoa! It is absolutely possible to replace the strips -- I have done it! I posted on this site, maybe a year ago, just do not remember. My door panels (interior) were removed. The decorative strips are secured via snap-in nubs, which can be popped off (and yes, they pop back in). You can see that I removed my chrome strips and replaced them with red leather. The Porsche dealer charged me about $275 for the removal / reinstall labor. I had to pay an upholstery shop to trim the chrome strips in leather.

Wow, I guess this works in the sunny climates, would be very difficult to trade in the UK
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 297 Posts

Whoa. Less is more.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer when it comes to these type of mods. Everyone's taste is different, and what may look terrific to one person may be like fingernails on a chalkboard to another. The only thing you can be sure of is about half the people that get in your car will say how cool it is, and the other half will just wonder what the heck were you thinking.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I don't think there is any right or wrong answer when it comes to these type of mods. Everyone's taste is different, and what may look terrific to one person may be like fingernails on a chalkboard to another. The only thing you can be sure of is about half the people that get in your car will say how cool it is, and the other half will just wonder what the heck were you thinking.

Quick Reply: Can the 991 door trim be replaced?