Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Porsche Kool-Aid

Old 05-03-2016, 02:00 PM
JonDUnning
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Don't know why post would be considered trolling - I think OP has legitimate concern. I know that when I spec'd my car, I was concerned at how much I was spending as I continued to tick the boxes. I wound up unticking a bunch. I know others have voiced concerns/surprise over the cost of some options ($1700 for leather air vents - really?). OP seems to have the means, he's just expressing his surprise over how quickly and easily costs can skyrocket.
I agree with this. OP seemed Mostly Harmless, as Douglas Adams might say. His last posted thoughts seemed to show what was going through his mind in an admittedly confusing first couple of posts.

I have played with the configurator enough to agree with him on certain points. Can I afford $150K for a new 911 configured with everything I desire? Yes. Is it good value for my money? Probably not. Maybe get a base S with a couple of necessary options (for me - sport chrono, PSE) and invest the other $40K and still be driving a nice 911 for a second vehicle.

Black satin wheels - $1800, 14 way seats - $1400, heated steering wheel $600, etc. You keep checking boxes and it keeps adding up! It can become a frustrating mental game to balance performance with comfort and value. It's fun, though!

Last edited by JonDUnning; 05-03-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: words
Old 05-03-2016, 02:08 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
It's amazing to me that we would let a troll cause some second thoughts on the purchase of a Porsche. If value is defined by what we are paying when we sign on the dotted line a lot fewer of us would buy these cars. Its the value over time, owning a piece of a great marque, the total driving experience and the somewhat exclusivity of this type of brand (and I know its not ultra exclusive). Its also what driving this car does to you that makes driving other cars pedestrian.
Of course ma Vette is more PERCEIVED value. But how many of those do you see driving down the road and I think they are great cars, now. But somehow I don't think I would get the same feeling. If this doesn't do it for you then it is time to look elsewhere but for me I'm not going to second guess because they are a profitable company.
This is an interesting point that I am circuitously getting at. Porsche has a great marketing strategy, in that they get us emotionally involved in the object. A little like falling in love. A great Marque, total driving experience, exclusivity, etc. when in the end it is just a car, albeit a fine one.

This is how we justify paying more, and Porsche profits. I am not attacking the cars themselves, nor people who own them, merely the cynical marketing strategy Porsche employs for profit, with money coming out of our pockets. I only started this thread to vent frustration at this and maybe start an interesting discussion, if that is trolling, so be it.

By the way you mentioned "what driving this car does to you that makes other cars pedestrian?" I am curious as to what the car does "to" you?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:09 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

"The last Porsche I owned was a 997 Carrera 4S Cab, and it was the most disappointing car I have ever owned."

Why would you buy from Porsche again if this were the case? I sure wouldn't!

Troll.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
"The last Porsche I owned was a 997 Carrera 4S Cab, and it was the most disappointing car I have ever owned."

Troll.
Agree totally.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:18 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS

Troll.
By no means the worst car I ever had, but disappointing because my expectations were so high. It way my first "Porsche." Unfortunately It had cowl shake on bad roads in my neighbourhood, understeer on the track, and the roof leaked. In retrospect should not have gotten the cab at the time.

It's been 6 years and I thought time to revisit the brand with different expectations.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Agree totally.
+100. Yet another "I paid over a hundred thousand dollars for a car that I didn't research enough." Please.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:18 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

The Porsche marketing strategy is like most marketing strategies these days. Get the consumer emotionally invested in a product. Look at every car commercial on TV! Part of the game. What got me to order a new 911 was not the marketing, but the test drive. Ripping around curves and the car was so planted. Sold. Other selling points for me were the beauty of the car and the two seats in the back. I have been stoked about buying and riding a lot of very fast motorcycles, but at age 59 this is the first car I have ever been remotely excited about buying.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I
I have now spent about $ 150,000 (not including tax) on my daily driver. I can easily afford it, but you can get a lot of car out there for that money.
Then why are you buying the C4S? Because you can't get a car that offers everything you're getting in that car out there for that money. Or you'd be buying it, right? Or are you telling us that you're buying an inferior car to something else and paying more for it just for kicks?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by KenTO
I thought about it, nowhere to put the occasional kid or hockey bag.
What? Where are you going to put a hockey bag in a C4S that you can't put in an R8? Have you looked in the frunk? I have to use a coaches bag and break apart my hockey gear and stow it in numerous places to make it work.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Marketing, schmarketing. These are great cars, expensive, but worth every penny. Show me a better car in all aspects than a $130,000 C2S on the road right now, and please don't say Corvette. I don't care what it's lap times are or how fast it is, it doesn't offer anywhere near the driving experience of a Carrera, nor is it basically a rolling piece of art. Honestly, as a full package, I'm surprised that Porsches aren't even more expensive. And I could give a rat's *** about the history, the brand, etc. The current generation of 991s and 981s are amazing cars and I feel lucky to drive one every day.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:08 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you didn't like the Cab, the Targa is basically a cab with a hard top. If you are looking for a driving experience, you should redo the car. Get a C4S coupe with Sport PASM, the sport package(RWS, SC, PSE). The sports package will save you $1,800.00 on the options in Canada. I'm assuming Hoggs Hollow is in Toronto. That coupe won't have the show but is the best DD for your purpose. A non S Targa won't do it for you. The sport package will make you feel better about option pricing, you save $1,800.00.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:35 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Marketing, schmarketing. These are great cars, expensive, but worth every penny. Show me a better car in all aspects than a $130,000 C2S on the road right now, and please don't say Corvette. I don't care what it's lap times are or how fast it is, it doesn't offer anywhere near the driving experience of a Carrera, nor is it basically a rolling piece of art. Honestly, as a full package, I'm surprised that Porsches aren't even more expensive. And I could give a rat's *** about the history, the brand, etc. The current generation of 991s and 981s are amazing cars and I feel lucky to drive one every day.
I'll play:

Carrera for $92,360 (C2, 7MT, Sport steering wheel, Bose), Euro delivery, 2 days on the Nordschleife (in a rental) and $20K in cash.

Not really disagreeing; just some love for the C2.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All this boils down to is self-control. Yes, Porsche AG has a clever marginal pricing strategy; no doubt someone has modeled the price elasticity of demand for ever option (revealed preference theory).

This strategy makes the company very profitable for a car manufacturer w/ margins around 19%+ (and don't get me started on the EBIT margins Porsche was making when sourcing the Touareg platform for the Cayenne!)

No-one is holding the buyer's feet to the proverbial fire and I for one spent about $20k more than I originally intended. It's easy to dive down that rabbit hole of options to make that 911 'your 911'.

One course of action then is to do what RichAA ^^ and others do and strictly limit one's choices.

Last, research shows that experiences, memories, make one ultimately more happy than 'stuff'. My enjoyment will come from driving long after I have forgotten being gouged for the headrest crest or black model designation.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 917k
All this boils down to is self-control.
Hah, if I had any self-control I sure wouldn't be driving a Porsche
Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
If there was a BETTER option, I'd be driving it!
I totally agree with you STG. I have driven many different things, but I like what I am driving now the very best.

I was just in it today getting some chicken for lunch and was like man. This car is so refined and perfect! The total driving experience. I have rules though in my car. Like not eating fried chicken on the mouse fur seats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Porsche Kool-Aid