Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 991s: how does a Base non-PASM stack up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:59 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drove a 991s: how does a Base non-PASM stack up?

I finally located a 991s 7MT to test. Amazing car, although it had only PASM, not SPASM, and no Sport chrono. Also tested a 991s PDK with those 2 options. The PDK felt a bit tighter, more clinical, crazy precise, but I liked the 991s 7MT more: much more engaging, the suspension was still nice and taut, handling was unreal.

Unfortunately, the "S" is still pushing past my price range. I really wanted a base 991, and have found a couple with 7MT for right around $60k, low miles, CPO. But I am really stressing that the standard non-PASM suspension will be a big let down over the "S" setup. The dealer doesn't even have a "base" model on the lot to try. Who has driven both, and how close were they? I drove the PASM in regular, and sport, mode.

Also, is there a used market for a base 7MT, say in 5 years? Or do all enthusiasts strictly go to the "S" level and skip the base motor? It isn't exactly a slow car, but I know the older 997 base models had a reputation as underpowered. Perhaps I could talk myself into the "S" if I knew it would hold value as well or better than a base, but the point of entry being $10k more minimum is really tough for a car that is strictly a "toy" and not essential in the slightest.

This is my first 911, if it makes a difference.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Rehash of the S vs. Base debate, teeth gnashing, feelings hurt in 3, 2,...
Old 04-23-2016, 02:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Save yourself some time. Do a search on this forum for a thread in the last 3 months that covered this exact question/topic in excruciatingly minute detail and you'll get more information that you could ever want about the pros/cons of each of these cars.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:09 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Honestly the base is probably far faster than you feel like even the S is because the engine doesn't come alive until you get used to keeping it up in the revs. You're probably going to enjoy it either way. I'd make sure to get at least the PASM though if it were me, without getting into the PASM vs SPASM ride height discussion.

There will always be a used market for all 911s, but the amount of depreciation you'll take since they build so many nowadays will be something you're better off not thinking about. Just think about how much fun you're having and how life is too short not to enjoy it while you can.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:19 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Save yourself some time. Do a search on this forum for a thread in the last 3 months that covered this exact question/topic in excruciatingly minute detail and you'll get more information that you could ever want about the pros/cons of each of these cars.
I tried: was more just referring to the suspension, and could only find 1 poster who had driven both non-PASM and PASM back to back. The rest was more conjecture and chest beating....
Old 04-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
I tried: was more just referring to the suspension, and could only find 1 poster who had driven both non-PASM and PASM back to back. The rest was more conjecture and chest beating....
The thread I was referring to has a lot of discussion about the motor differences. I'll save you the time, as I considered both, test drove both, including base suspension, PASM and SPASM, and I own both Carrera S with the 3.8 and a Cayman S with the 3.4 from the base Carrera. Here's my take, simple stuff first.

1. Either car is a great car, fun to drive, fun to own. The base motor has a better sound sensation in normal driving and has a playful, revvy character. The S sounds good too, particularly on the boil, but there is just something about the sound of the 3.4 motor.

2. The S has more power, that you can feel, especially the low/mid torque around town. When I drove them back to back, I noticed the additional power and really wanted it, so that's what sealed the S for me. That said, I had an 450hp RS5 parked at the dealer when I did that test drive, so I was in a bit of a horsepower hound mode. Today, I'm not so certain the HP difference would carry as much weight in my mind.

3. All three suspensions are fine, but my view is SPASM>PASM>Base. Without getting into the 'SPASM will scrape everywhere and you'll constantly replace the lip' debate, SPASM is awesome in normal mode and the stance of the car is perfect. PASM is good as well, but for me I found SPASM normal mode to be the perfect setting out of all the suspensions.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of these cars. If you have a strict budget limit that precludes certain cars/options, don't drive them. You'll never know what you're missing, if anything, and you'll be perfectly satisfied with your car. My neighbor has a base 991 with no fancy options and he absolutely loves it. And it sounds great pulling away every day. And he doesn't even have PSE.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The thread I was referring to has a lot of discussion about the motor differences. I'll save you the time, as I considered both, test drove both, including base suspension, PASM and SPASM, and I own both Carrera S with the 3.8 and a Cayman S with the 3.4 from the base Carrera. Here's my take, simple stuff first.

1. Either car is a great car, fun to drive, fun to own. The base motor has a better sound sensation in normal driving and has a playful, revvy character. The S sounds good too, particularly on the boil, but there is just something about the sound of the 3.4 motor.

2. The S has more power, that you can feel, especially the low/mid torque around town. When I drove them back to back, I noticed the additional power and really wanted it, so that's what sealed the S for me. That said, I had an 450hp RS5 parked at the dealer when I did that test drive, so I was in a bit of a horsepower hound mode. Today, I'm not so certain the HP difference would carry as much weight in my mind.

3. All three suspensions are fine, but my view is SPASM>PASM>Base. Without getting into the 'SPASM will scrape everywhere and you'll constantly replace the lip' debate, SPASM is awesome in normal mode and the stance of the car is perfect. PASM is good as well, but for me I found SPASM normal mode to be the perfect setting out of all the suspensions.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of these cars. If you have a strict budget limit that precludes certain cars/options, don't drive them. You'll never know what you're missing, if anything, and you'll be perfectly satisfied with your car. My neighbor has a base 991 with no fancy options and he absolutely loves it. And it sounds great pulling away every day. And he doesn't even have PSE.
Thank you! In a nutshell, Bobby McFerrin playing in my head from the late 80's
Old 04-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Honestly, if I owned a base with base suspension, the only thing that might bother me is the stance compared to a PASM or SPASM car. The PASM car is 10mm lower and the SPASM is 20mm lower. The base car looks a little high in comparison. Again, if you weren't looking for it or sitting next to a SPASM car, you would probably never notice it.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:59 AM
Getsmmr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the primary reasons I went with the S over the base as it was nearly impossible to find a base + PASM. If you drive in a city or on high traffic highways with poor pavement the auto dampening really makes a difference. When crossing railroad tracks or driving over rutted pavement, you definitely notice the suspension become more complaint. Similarly when auto crossing or canyon carving the ability to firm up is really great - I love the jekyl and Hyde / two cars in one aspect of the car.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:27 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Can't go wrong with any 991 911 in your range of affordability.

Enjoy the hunt.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW

I had a 996. Test drove a couple of cars with all the goodies PSAM, Sport Chrono, PDK etc...

Decided that is what I wanted but I figured I was a good couple of years away from getting one financially.

Stumbled onto a stripped base model on the dealer lot. It was their loss leader and I thought it was a really good deal. Figured since we never know, and I might not live long enough to order my "dream Porsche" in a couple of years, F it, I'll take this one for now.

Base C2 with MT
CS Wheels
Sport Steering Wheel
SD Mirrors
PSE

That's it. No other options on this car.

I love it. I get a ton of complements on it. It is a blast to drive and comfortable.

I still have every intension of ordering a .2 with all the goodies just because but honestly, if my budget changes and I am "stuck" with this base C2 for the next 30 years I will be totally OK with that.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back when the 991 was introduced Total 911 the foreign Porsche magazine said buy the base and skip the suspension upgrades unless you are a track addict. Additionally, the base won the RedDot design award as the the best of the best, the "S" can't say that. Plus 7MT base Carerras may be one of the rarest variants they made.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:01 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

The rarest spec'd ( unicorn ) but IMO most old school and still a lotta fun 991 is the lighter less powerful , less grippy one : a 991.1 base with 7MT, 19" wheels , analog suspension, no Sport Chrono , no sunroof, no audio options and no seat or leather upgrades .

You'd of course have to work the throttle more and longer between turns , time your braking and exits better and work the steering more to try to keep up with an S with its torque, PASM and PTV, etc...but for a point A to point B Sunday AM canyon run, that is possibly a good sweaty palms desire for some owners ...if it is a 911 of any age or type , it's all good in any configuration for someone somewhere.

Just as good, " store the stopwatch " , slow down and enjoy the distant scenery out the rolled down side windows now and then too !

Last edited by MKW; 04-24-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
The rarest... unicorn... no Sport Chrono...
No sport chrono??? Nooos how would you tell what time it is without looking down at the PCM or at the multifuction dial???

Also a unicorn isn't the car itself, the term refers to a chick that sits in the back seat that will have sex with me and my girlfriend at the same time.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:15 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove both versions when making my decision. The car I eventually chose was an S w/PASM, not SPASM. I drove a base car also, but liked the "feel" of the S motor combined w/PDK & PASM. IMHO, if you want a good MT sports car, get the base 3.4 as it seems "revvier," get the S if you like PDK and want more of a GT. About the suspension - keep trying to drive both and it will be revealed to you. You can't go wrong, it's a 911. Buy the car you want, worry less about resale.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991s: how does a Base non-PASM stack up?