Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 show on Velocity

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:23 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My SA confided in me after his first drive of the new car that he thought it was going to be a tougher sell than the .1.
It's amazing the disparity of opinion. Mine came back from Atlanta (two SAs) as well as the Chief Tech who were blown away about the improvements in speed and cornering. They loved PSM sport and getting the car loose and were blown away by the improvements in PDK shifting times.

They can't believe how much of a leap forward it is.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
It's amazing the disparity of opinion. Mine came back from Atlanta (two SAs) as well as the Chief Tech who were blown away about the improvements in speed and cornering. They loved PSM sport and getting the car loose and were blown away by the improvements in PDK shifting times.

They can't believe how much of a leap forward it is.
Hehe I'm blown away by what an independent and honest opinion your brand ambassadors were able to give you and not biased in any way. How do you get blown away by an improvement on a PDK shift time that is already roughly zero?

Us grumpy .1 folks aren't saying that the car isn't great or doesn't have it's merits, but when they lay on the Porsche blowing so hard it makes us want to just say "screw you if it's so amazing keep it" that much more.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Hehe I'm blown away by what an independent and honest opinion your brand ambassadors were able to give you and not biased in any way. How do you get blown away by an improvement on a PDK shift time that is already roughly zero? Us grumpy .1 folks aren't saying that the car isn't great or doesn't have it's merits, but when they lay on the Porsche blowing so hard it makes us want to just say "screw you if it's so amazing keep it" that much more.
Actually I've known them for years and they've advised me to stay away from their turbo V6, which resulted in me buying a different DD, but you're right, that is their halo card. Glad I could spread spread some happiness!

Just curious why are you grumpy? I loved my .1.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Just curious why are you grumpy? I loved my .1.
I didn't think I was grumpy, but I keep hearing that that's the only possible reason not to be in love with the "latest and greatest" because I'm just all sour and bitter that what I have isn't that anymore.

If I became a billionaire tomorrow, I'd still drive an Aqua Blue 991.1 every day.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:02 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

I didn't think I was grumpy, but I keep hearing that that's the only possible reason not to be in love with the "latest and greatest" because I'm just all sour and bitter that what I have isn't that anymore. If I became a billionaire tomorrow, I'd still drive an Aqua Blue 991.1 every day.
I hear you, people definitely need to take a breath. Slightly off topic but that's a sweet color. My friend has a Meisen Blue 356 replica- I think the colors are pretty close?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

I hear you, people definitely need to take a breath. Slightly off topic but that's a sweet color. My friend has a Meisen Blue 356 replica- I think the colors are pretty close?
Yeah getting all hung up on .1 vs .2 gets so silly, they're more similar to each other than they are to any other car on the planet.

I just looked it up and Meisen looks great on the 356! Aqua is way different though, it's very close to Sapphire but a little darker and deeper, maybe slightly less purpley if you stare at the two for long enough.

Edit: I love the 356 by the way! I was in Paso Robles last weekend and there was a line of them driving around, they were so cool!
Old 04-24-2016, 07:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hehe I'm blown away by what an independent and honest opinion your brand ambassadors were able to give you and not biased in any way. How do you get blown away by an improvement on a PDK shift time that is already roughly zero?

Us grumpy .1 folks aren't saying that the car isn't great or doesn't have it's merits, but when they lay on the Porsche blowing so hard it makes us want to just say "screw you if it's so amazing keep it" that much more.
Exactly. Each time Porsche comes out with a new 911 they market it as perfection and without flaw... As if it is such a giant leap that it will never be matched.

Then.... The new car comes out and all of the sudden there is a laundry list of flaws that have magically been fixed. Flaws that never existed until they want people to trade in their prices of crap old generation on the new perfect car.

Then... In 2020 the cycle repeats. Again.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want an idea what the .1 guys sound like, go to the 997 board and there is a thread "would you buy a 991? "You will be amazed at all the reasons why the 997 was a much better car and how Porsche ruined the 911 with the 991.

By the way, Porsche is now marketing the .2, however you can be sure the the 992 is already designed with its' many improvements and will soon be ready for testing. A senior executive from Porsche was once asked, which was the best Porsche ever. His answer was: the next one.

The moral of the story is : unless you are prepared to trade your car every 3 years or so, you will sucking a hind teat. Porsche is work in progress.

Since we will never catch up, be happy with the model you are driving and enjoy the moment.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
If you want an idea what the .1 guys sound like, go to the 997 board and there is a thread "would you buy a 991? "You will be amazed at all the reasons why the 997 was a much better car and how Porsche ruined the 911 with the 991.
There is a fundamental reason for that discussion - the 991 has a 4" longer WB. That is a game changer if you are a lover of 'defective' pendulum dynamics 911s. I drive both a 997 and an early 911 and I know what pendulum dynamics is. Virtually gone on the 991. That longer WB also makes the 991 less nimble. You may care about that, or not. That 'defect' makes the 991 a more stable, faster car, no question.

Now... the 991.2S with the optional RWS mitigates somewhat the 991 longer WB making the car nimbler. The pendulum is gone, but the car rotates better.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 PM
parealtor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 mins I will never get back. Very disappointed.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I held back my comments until I watched it myself. Finally had time last night.

I'm surprised by all the negative comments. I LOVED it. Sure, the episode was clearly heavily sponsored and influenced by Porsche. It was infomercial like......but so what?

I thought it was awesome. I'm going to watch it again.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petee1997
I get the feeling that many .1 owners are disappointed that Porsche has introduced a superior car. We all know when we buy a new car that in a short period of time there will be something better.
But isn't that were Iterative evolution should go? The next model should deliver a general overall better performing and engaging performance experience? Regardless if the newest version is an all out brand new version of the car or if the engine has been messaged, or replaced(!), and exterior bits been mildly modified and new wheels for the top model.

It's the same way in the computer hardware industry and with Moore's Law. You can expect your system to be considered "Slow" after at about 18 months. Granted buying a 911 will never end up being a zero sum game like with computers. And in some cases one might end up on the plus side gaining value which all started with the stop sale.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 show on Velocity