Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 991.2 Test Drive Event at COTA

Old 04-01-2016, 11:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts
Default 2017 991.2 Test Drive Event at COTA

I still have a 997.2 but was fortunate enough to get to drive a new 2017 991.2 at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin on Wednesday. I posted a writeup over on my current "home" 997 forum yesterday but think it would be interesting to see what the 991 crowd thinks of my observations.

I've been pretty thoroughly swayed towards a 991 now so I'm considering one form or another of a 991. I don't think I'm up spending the money for a new 2017, so a 991.1 is likely on the not-too-distant horizon as a result of this test drive.

Anyway, if you guys are interested in a read, I'd love to hear any comments you may: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-at-cota.html
Old 04-02-2016, 08:52 AM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for cross posting this as I would not have stumbled across your post. It sounds like a great way to introduce the car - much better than the poorly lit cocktail party I went to here in PA. Your pictures are great as well - especially of the parking lot.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:37 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I still have a 997.2 but was fortunate enough to get to drive a new 2017 991.2 at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin on Wednesday. I posted a writeup over on my current "home" 997 forum yesterday but think it would be interesting to see what the 991 crowd thinks of my observations.

I've been pretty thoroughly swayed towards a 991 now so I'm considering one form or another of a 991. I don't think I'm up spending the money for a new 2017, so a 991.1 is likely on the not-too-distant horizon as a result of this test drive.

Anyway, if you guys are interested in a read, I'd love to hear any comments you may: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-at-cota.html
Nice writeup. You described what to me is the truth about now 911s. The changes (in performance) are incremental but very real.

For sure the biggest change between your car and the 991 is the longer wheelbase/wider front track that changes turn in so much. From my brief time in a 991.2, one would have to get the rear wheel steering to enjoy a similar incremental improvement over a 991.1 as you felt coming from your car.

My test drive was in an S with PSE. Compared to my C2S the tradeoff is that the burbles and pops and "rev up" is almost but not quite as good but a bit "softer" sounding. It seems a fair trade if you like the real result of a very usable increment of about 50 foot lbs of torque, almost everywhere in the rev range.

But no doubt - you will get most of what a .2 offers in a .1. For a 991.1 power kit car or a GTS - with Sport PASM, (and excluding the $$ to be saved) it would be a toss up for me.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Nice writeup. You described what to me is the truth about now 911s. The changes (in performance) are incremental but very real.

For sure the biggest change between your car and the 991 is the longer wheelbase/wider front track that changes turn in so much. From my brief time in a 991.2, one would have to get the rear wheel steering to enjoy a similar incremental improvement over a 991.1 as you felt coming from your car.

My test drive was in an S with PSE. Compared to my C2S the tradeoff is that the burbles and pops and "rev up" is almost but not quite as good but a bit "softer" sounding. It seems a fair trade if you like the real result of a very usable increment of about 50 foot lbs of torque, almost everywhere in the rev range.

But no doubt - you will get most of what a .2 offers in a .1. For a 991.1 power kit car or a GTS - with Sport PASM, (and excluding the $$ to be saved) it would be a toss up for me.
Thank you for the concisely stated response, this is just the kind of feedback I was hoping to get! This helps me a lot... and a good used 991.1 will be an easier sell with my wife.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I can't wait to actually drive one. Question about the lag or lack thereof. A number of reviewers have commented on it, though they have described it as the inability to dial in little increments of power rather than a massive lag from throttle to response. Did you notice that? That's the one thing I hate about the SC Audi's I've owned/own. Its a guessing game with the throttle and more often than not, I'm having to back of the throttle mid acceleration to get just what I want. I don't think you'd notice that as much on the track, where you're going hard on the throttle, but I wonder how it would be on the street.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:41 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I can't wait to actually drive one. Question about the lag or lack thereof. A number of reviewers have commented on it, though they have described it as the inability to dial in little increments of power rather than a massive lag from throttle to response. Did you notice that? That's the one thing I hate about the SC Audi's I've owned/own. Its a guessing game with the throttle and more often than not, I'm having to back of the throttle mid acceleration to get just what I want. I don't think you'd notice that as much on the track, where you're going hard on the throttle, but I wonder how it would be on the street.
I did not notice any lag at all. But I did not get on it a dead start. I had the salesman with me and it was a brand new car, so I just tried hitting the throttle in several gears from 2 k - 6 k or so. In each it felt silky, pulled hard, sounded good and felt a bit quicker than my C2S. No guessing games with the throttle, just constant torque as the revs rose.

It also sounded pretty good revving and burbbling on overrun. Not the "bam" of an NA but good noine the less.

I listened for turbos spooling, but can't say I heard them.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
...Question about the lag or lack thereof. A number of reviewers have commented on it, though they have described it as the inability to dial in little increments of power rather than a massive lag from throttle to response. Did you notice that? ...
I didn't really have a good chance to tell with only one hot lap, given that as soon as I was out of the pits I kept the car at someone 4000 RPMs or higher. With all of the torque available down lower in the new engine, I guess I didn't need to keep it that high but that habit just carried over from my 997.2.

When we were working through the slaloms and the late esses I did have to use moderate throttle application and never noticed anything like you are talking about... but again... with only one hot lap I wouldn't even trust myself to get this as right as others with more time behind the wheel. If it were significant I think I would have noticed it though since that would have unsettled me a bit with the high lateral Gs at play.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 991.2 Test Drive Event at COTA