Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Tuning 991 Carrera S Dyno Results 991.2!!

Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Bumping this thread to know if some of you Rennlisters have run this tune on your track car and stock cooling. Have you noticed a significant increase in ambient temps when driving on track?
keep an eye on the BGB motorsports thread - they are doing a work over on the GTS.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:54 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Curious how some of the Cobbed folks have wired up their access port holders with respect to cable mgmt, left or right of steering wheel etc.
any pics to share ?
i get my 991.2 base Carrera back in a day or two so really excited on how it will drive with the Cobb tune.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:42 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

You dont need to have it hooked up to use it. Only when you want to watch some gauge values.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:53 PM
blurum
Instructor

Originally Posted by arter
You dont need to have it hooked up to use it. Only when you want to watch some gauge values.
Thx for response. I don't plan on using it all the time - was hoping I could leave the holder wired in and cabling in place but tucked away neatly - so just a matter of popping the AP in and out of the holder.
so figured some of the members may have found a sweet spot via trial and error. no biggie. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:12 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by blurum
Thx for response. I don't plan on using it all the time - was hoping I could leave the holder wired in and cabling in place but tucked away neatly - so just a matter of popping the AP in and out of the holder.
so figured some of the members may have found a sweet spot via trial and error. no biggie. Looking forward to it.
In the left windshield corner keeps the wires out of the way. If on the right side you have to tuck the wires over the steering wheel to keep them away from your feet.
or do a neater job of hidding them.......
Old 07-24-2018, 05:17 PM
blurum
Instructor

Originally Posted by arter
In the left windshield corner keeps the wires out of the way. If on the right side you have to tuck the wires over the steering wheel to keep them away from your feet.
or do a neater job of hidding them.......
thx, appreciate the tip.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:44 AM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
The AP was released!

-Mitch
really interested in this tune for my .2 GTS (w/ cat bypass). Anybody have it done yet and can report back?
Old 07-27-2018, 03:43 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AP was released!

-Mitch
So with this one can freely switch between the factory tune and multiple custom tunes that are downloaded from your website?

Is it possible for the dealer to tell that the ECU has been unlocked?

By the way, the images on the maps page are broken, https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...rera+Map+Notes

Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey phx991. The answer would be yes to all your questions.

Stage 2 is in the works which will also be a free download once released.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:44 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
Hey phx991. The answer would be yes to all your questions.

Stage 2 is in the works which will also be a free download once released.
If you buy or have bought Phase 1.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:11 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes we will make an Accessport for these cars, which we are working on now.

No ETA as of yet. Hopefully it doesn't take too long but it is looking like the gains will be big for it coupled with all the other features that we offer.

Thanks,

-Mitch
Sorry for the confusion, but does this mean you are making tune option where the ECU doesnt need to be removed? If so is it tracable?

Last edited by dj997; 08-15-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
Sorry for the confusion, but does this mean you are making tune option where the ECU doesnt need to be removed? If so is it tracable?
You're quoting a post from April 2016.

The ECU has to be removed and sent in. Period.

The tune is traceable, as is any tune that requires the ECU to be unlocked. Once the ECU is unlocked, the dealership can tell. Strictly speaking, if there's a failure that's traceable or caused by the tune, your warranty claim may be questions. Its usually up to the dealer to decide, unless its something catastrophic where a Porsche engineer is sent in.

However, there are dealers that sell tunes. I know of a Porsche dealer in L.I. NY that sells the GIAC. I'm guessing it is the same, ( or will be), with the COBB tune.
From my understanding, anything purchased and installed from the dealer should not have any warranty issues.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:37 AM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Thank you for the information, I appreciate the reply.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

A couple months back I looked at a preowned 2017 Targa at Melbourne FL Porsche and it had the GIAC tune, which their Service Dept. had done; however, I was told that even though they did it if they could prove the tune caused a problem it would not be covered so just because a dealer did it does not mean you will not have possible issues.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:13 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
You're quoting a post from April 2016.

The ECU has to be removed and sent in. Period.

The tune is traceable, as is any tune that requires the ECU to be unlocked. Once the ECU is unlocked, the dealership can tell. Strictly speaking, if there's a failure that's traceable or caused by the tune, your warranty claim may be questions. Its usually up to the dealer to decide, unless its something catastrophic where a Porsche engineer is sent in.

However, there are dealers that sell tunes. I know of a Porsche dealer in L.I. NY that sells the GIAC. I'm guessing it is the same, ( or will be), with the COBB tune.
From my understanding, anything purchased and installed from the dealer should not have any warranty issues.
Pretty much all of this ^^^. We do have Porsche Dealers that are COBB authorized dealers and sell/install all manner of COBB products including the Accessport. However, as with every single modification you make to your car, the real decision about warranty coverage starts with your particular dealership and your relationship with them. We definitely recommend purchasing from "mod friendly" dealerships who are active in the local Porsche community via various channels- motorsports, Cars & Coffee sponsorships, etc, but the most important thing will always boil down to discussing how your particular dealership will handle coverage should a failure occur. They're the ones who sold you the warranty and they're also the ones who will go to bat for you with PCNA should something catastrophic occur and escalation is required.

Bottom line- there is no blanket statement in either direction that applies to warranty coverage; there is no guarantee your "warranty is gone" if you install an Accessport, but there's also no guarantee it won't be. We always suggest seeking out an active in the community dealership and building a relationship ahead of time. Being honest with your Service Rep/Manager in regards to your modification plans/path and desires goes a long way in the event you need to utilize the warranty coverage.

And to answer the other half of your question- The ECU does still need to be removed from the car and sent to us to be unlocked. Once unlocked, the Accessport will then function via the OBDII port just like an other AP including install/uninstall/map changes. We are still working on being able to install the AP without ever removing the ECU but there is no ETA available for when that will be released.

Thanks!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning 991 Carrera S Dyno Results 991.2!!