Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 991.1 manufacture recalls. Please~!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:19 AM
wyppp17
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions about 991.1 manufacture recalls. Please~!

Hello guys.
I recently found a used 2013 991 s which has only 2500 miles on it and no accidents at all. Also, the price is very reasonable for me. I thought my Porsche dream could be fulfilled. However, after I checked the carfax report of the car it shows that there are 4 manufacturer recall records on this car. I am not familiar with these things and it worries me a lot. As a result, I am really hoping that you guys could give me some advises about it. Here are the recall records.

1. #WC62 VOLUNTARY SERVICE ACTION - REPLACE MIRROR ADJUSTING MOTOR
2.#WE72 VOLUNTARY SERVICE ACTION - REPLACE ENGINE COMPARTMENT COV
3. #WF27 VOLUNTARY SERVICE ACTION - PERFORM PCM (WITH XM RADIO) UP
4.#WF77 VOLUNTARY SERVICE ACTION - REPLACE TANK LEAKAGE DIAGNOSIS

I am really appreciate if you guys could help on this. Also, this car is not from the private dealer so it does not have the CPO. Please tell me what should I do about it. Should I buy it? Thank you very much!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:37 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2013, and spent the extra $3000 to get CPO (and whatever the premium is to buy from a Porsche dealer). The only recall I recognize is #3, which is just a software update to the satellite radio. I would not be dissuaded by any of these service actions.

I've owned my car for less than a year and on the warranty have already had a bad fuel pump replaced, the bolts that hold the gas tank in the dashboard replaced because of the squeak – and a broken bolt, and just had the PCM replaced. I'm pretty sure I got my moneys worth for CPO already and have two years left on it.

I guess it depends on the overall deal and how good a price you can get without CPO.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I 'think' that these are Voluntary Service programs and NOT recalls. The voluntary service program identifies things they would like to check / validate when you bring your car in at your convenience. Recalls are used when there is a high probability that the car has an issue and that the issue affects the car's key performance features (engine, safety, etc.).

As for CPO, I agree that it is worth searching out. Unfortunately I think it is only available if you purchase from a Porsche dealership (note that I remember something about person-to-person transactions that will convey the CPO if one exists).
Old 03-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Not an issue at all. My C4S had all those done. Had the car for 27 months and 18K miles. Engine/transmission was flawless. Had some small issues easily fixed.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

These service campaigns are normal.

The 991.1 has been a very SOLID and reliable car.

How much off MSRP is your deal?? It should be at least $35K OFF MSRP. Knowing the original MSRP would give me a more accurate number though. Private seller or dealer?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:00 AM
wyppp17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by n8kruger
I have a 2013, and spent the extra $3000 to get CPO (and whatever the premium is to buy from a Porsche dealer). The only recall I recognize is #3, which is just a software update to the satellite radio. I would not be dissuaded by any of these service actions.

I've owned my car for less than a year and on the warranty have already had a bad fuel pump replaced, the bolts that hold the gas tank in the dashboard replaced because of the squeak – and a broken bolt, and just had the PCM replaced. I'm pretty sure I got my moneys worth for CPO already and have two years left on it.

I guess it depends on the overall deal and how good a price you can get without CPO.
Thank you for your information. The thing is the car is selling from a private dealer. As a result, it seems I can not do the CPO to have the warranty from Porsche. This is also one thing worries me.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:03 AM
wyppp17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I 'think' that these are Voluntary Service programs and NOT recalls. The voluntary service program identifies things they would like to check / validate when you bring your car in at your convenience. Recalls are used when there is a high probability that the car has an issue and that the issue affects the car's key performance features (engine, safety, etc.).

As for CPO, I agree that it is worth searching out. Unfortunately I think it is only available if you purchase from a Porsche dealership (note that I remember something about person-to-person transactions that will convey the CPO if one exists).
Thank you. I thought the voluntary service = the recalls. I guess I should do some homework on this. Since the car has a very low mileage and it's only about 78 K. I am really hoping to get it, but the relatively low price and the voluntary services records make me worry.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:59 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a decent price for an S. I suppose the CPO issue is a matter of your/your budget's tolerance for risk. You may want to go to the Porsche website and search for preowned cars and just see what else is out there. When I went to the dealer, they took about 3000 off the listed price just because I asked. I'm sure your mileage may vary with that negotiation as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

You should have about a year of warranty left correct? I wouldn't be concerned about those service actions. Get a thorough pre-purchase done and if it checks out it looks like it could be a good find. What was the MSRP? It should be a one owner car right? Likely serviced at one dealer so you could also request complete service records.

As a gauge I got my 17k mile 2012.5 C2S for 69k and the MSRP was 126.5.

5k miles on it so far and I couldn't be happier. I'll admit I had a few sleepless "this deal is too good to be true" nights, but in the end I'm SO glad I pulled the trigger. Its a really great car.

Good luck!

Last edited by Maketrax; 04-04-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:39 PM
wyppp17
Intermediate

It seems like there is no warranty left for this car, because it is selling from the private dealer. The MSRP is around 103K. Also, I didn't see any maintenance records from this car, may be because it is only 2500 miles?

It is good to know that you have such a good experience, and I hope I will be as lucky as you.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:43 PM
wyppp17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STG991
These service campaigns are normal.

The 991.1 has been a very SOLID and reliable car.

How much off MSRP is your deal?? It should be at least $35K OFF MSRP. Knowing the original MSRP would give me a more accurate number though. Private seller or dealer?
The MSRP is around 103K. Also, it is from a private seller. I was trying to find a certified car from Porsche website, but their price are too high. Please let me know what should I do. Thank you so much..
Old 03-26-2016, 02:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by wyppp17
It seems like there is no warranty left for this car, because it is selling from the private dealer. The MSRP is around 103K. Also, I didn't see any maintenance records from this car, may be because it is only 2500 miles?

It is good to know that you have such a good experience, and I hope I will be as lucky as you.
$78K for a $103K MSRP isn't a good deal. It's a bad one. At $103K it's a total stripped down car. Would be ok if the price reflected it.

Check out the "hot for sale" thread. You can get an idea of what $80K buys you including a CPO warranty.

The 2013 you're looking at is probably out of warranty in the next couple months.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:53 PM
wyppp17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STG991
$78K for a $103K MSRP isn't a good deal. It's a bad one. At $103K it's a total stripped down car. Would be ok if the price reflected it.

Check out the "hot for sale" thread. You can get an idea of what $80K buys you including a CPO warranty.

The 2013 you're looking at is probably out of warranty in the next couple months.
Thank you. I just send a message to you.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Resource:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...-week-176.html
Old 03-26-2016, 04:31 PM
STG
Race Director

I'm glad guys ask questions before buying.

The OP is now looking at a $122K MSRP car ($82K asking) with under 5K miles for only $4K more asking price than his original find, a $107K MSRP car ($78K asking) and 2.5K miles.

He found it, but a much better option.

Still has just over a year factory warranty left and much better color combo! $15K more options and room to negotiate the price down to narrow the $4K difference in price of two cars.

Point being .... Good to ask for advice sometimes. Not everyone is a pro pre-owned 991 buyer. Many guys are new to the brand too.

Good luck

Last edited by STG; 03-26-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about 991.1 manufacture recalls. Please~!