Sponsored by:

The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
What a magnificent build! Thank you for sharing all of your adventure with us. The thought and attention to detail you put into the car is really quite special. As others have said the color combination is rather spectacular. You have truly created a unique machine and had such a special experience getting to know it in Europe with your family. This is what dreams are made of. I hope you will have many years of pleasure with the Baron. Best Regards, Driven
Thanks for the kind words Driven991. Much appreciated. We picked up the car at the dealership about a month ago. After having driven The Baron through five countries, it felt like reuniting with an old friend.

I feel compelled to comment on the drive back as the sensation was unexpected and something I haven't read before in any of the Euro Delivery threads. The last time my family was in the car, it was driving from Lake Lugano to Zurich. Fast forward several weeks and we're once again driving the Baron, but this time from the dealership in the suburbs to our parking spot in Center City (Philadelphia). Because of strict instructions for the dealer not to detail the car, there were still remnants from our trip overseas. The top of a baby food bottle was still in the passenger footwell. Receipts in the glove compartment and arm rest. The towels we kindly expropriated from our hotel in Stuttgart to protect the Alcantara from the baby seat were in the frunk. It was such a surreal experience that even my wife, not a car gal, commented on the sensation of driving the car abroad one moment and then on an altogether different continent the next.

Here's a few shots of the car when we picked it up at the dealership. (It was still covered in German dust.) Note the 'Not for Sale' stamp on the second(!) window sticker.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:17 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

More updates, my RL friends! As planned from the beginning, Sandro and his crew at Schwabenfolia (Stuttgart, Germany) applied PPF to the front of the car up to the doors and A-pillar. Doing the whole car would have taken an extra 2 days and my family was eager to hit the road. Once the car landed in the States, we took The Blue Baron to Marc Brenner and his crew at UDrive (West Chester, Pennsylvania). The temporary Xpel TrackWrap, which had done an excellent job protecting the car during our trip through five countries, was removed. All exposed paint was color corrected and then Xpel was applied.

But we went quite a bit further.

As a world first, we wrapped the hard seat backs to protect them from the baby seat as well as Junior's future size 13s. As another world first, Xpel Stealth was deftly applied to the roll bar since a few other RL members mentioned that it scratches easily. As you can imagine, the majority of the work was custom and time consuming, but I'm thrilled we did it.

Once The Blue Baron was completely wrapped, Marc's crew went ahead and nano coated everything including the wheels and PCCB calipers. Since we live in the city, nano coating was definitely the right way to go for us.

Here's a shot of the car on the lift at UDrive's facility. And a few pics of the finished product. The film is invisible and the Sapphire Blue paint absolutely pops. Hope you enjoy!

Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 AM
cdphoto
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stunning spec and looked like a great delivery experience! Those silver-painted wheels tie the spec together so beautifully, enjoy her!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:45 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cdphoto
Stunning spec and looked like a great delivery experience! Those silver-painted wheels tie the spec together so beautifully, enjoy her!
Thanks a bunch cdphoto!

Last edited by TorqueChap; 01-12-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:08 AM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

amazing threat and trip
we would like to know more about your 993 turbo please
Old 04-22-2019, 07:05 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

TorqueChap,

I just read this thread and would like to thank you for the time and efforts it took you to share with us this fantastic experience. It really felt moved by your story, especially your son who will have the absolute pleasure / surprise to discover this thread in a couple of years.

Thanks again for this thread, it is such inspirational!

Quick Reply: The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build