Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a "PCNA Display Vehicle" (aka "Press Vehicle")?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

A "Launch" car isn't a demo car, show car, display/press, or test vehicle. Merely the first batch of cars ordered for inventory when the 991.1 was released in 2012.5
Old 02-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I thought these were robust vehicles?

At a slight discount to a typical car, why the hell not?

Are these things made by Fabrege or are they from the racing lineage that you all like to tell your friends about at cocktail parties?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 AM
STG
Race Director

These display/press/show cars are used to give out to the press to test drive cars, used at driving events, taken to dealers to test drive new models (like is happening with the 991.2's now), and possibly shuffled around shows.

I was at a Porsche sponsored driving event to test drive all their cars on a track. Trust me, you don't want these cars, especially after seeing the factory drivers rip them up and all the amateurs that show up.

Press guys who test these cars obviously don't treat them as their own either.

The 991.2's that are making their rounds around the dealers aren't being test driven to show off the new tail lights.

At the end of the day, they change tires and brakes on there and wipe clean the computer system I'm sure. Wash and perform a service and it's for sale.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I thought these were robust vehicles?

At a slight discount to a typical car, why the hell not?

Are these things made by Fabrege or are they from the racing lineage that you all like to tell your friends about at cocktail parties?

I guess it's good that they have a buyer for these cars. Put your number down I'm sure they'll give you a call.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:34 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Get a very good price. Get out of it a month or two before the CPO expires.
That's probably about the only way that I would do it. Although the car may (and we really just don't know) have been thrashed a bit, that's really not going to make it a bad car, it just presumably shortens its life expectancy a bit.

Of course, if the Carfax shows it as a press car, then it would presumably affect resale down the road, so make the dealer show you that report before spending a dime.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

If priced right plus the added CPO warranty, they are backing the vehicle 100% so I would not have any problem buying one.

These cars are probably taken better care of, plus if there was a problem with a component I would hope it would have showed up and been fixed during this time.

After attending a Porsche experience in Birmingham and listening to how they take care of the cars they use. I would probably try to buy one of them the next time I'm in the market if the price was right and CPO'ed.

I have to add..... all the videos made during car reviews on the street and at the track not one that i've viewed said something broke.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I bought mine CPO, it was labeled a "Launch Vehicle."

What's that mean?
Short for Launch Control Demo Vehicle.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
So true ...

There was a Panamera GTS at the driving event I went too. The factory drivers probably launched it 10 times that day between two groups.

But hey, what's the harm?? That's what they're supposed to do!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:31 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Just to clarify, I was making a semantic joke (and no, I'm not anti-semantic.) I don't actually have any idea what a Launch Vehicle is and I hope yours was never driven in anger before you got it (and I hope you're driving the **** out of her now!)
Old 02-22-2016, 04:58 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Just to clarify, I was making a semantic joke (and no, I'm not anti-semantic.) I don't actually have any idea what a Launch Vehicle is and I hope yours was never driven in anger before you got it (and I hope you're driving the **** out of her now!)
Taken jokingly as intended.

I have launch controlled my car a few times, but not many. It's an instant day improver!
Old 02-22-2016, 06:40 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all of the colorful responses and honest feedback! I wonder if maybe I'm mixing up the offical nomenclature. The window sticker just says "PCNA Display Vehicle" and makes no mention of "press vehicle" (I only got that from the Porsche VIN Decoderz website, which may not be accurate?). Or is there no meaningful difference between the 2 labels and the terms can be used interchangeably?

Other than accepting the dealer's explanation at face value, is there another way to verify or learn about a particular vehicles usage history? There is nothing out of the ordinary on the Carfax report.

Originally Posted by shellbmb
How many miles are on the car? 7mt or PDK? You can always get a PPI done and even an engine report to help you make a decision. Has it been registered before? If not, then carfax is probably no help even though carfax is not perfect anyways.
Approximately 4,000 miles, PDK transmission.

Last edited by gearFX; 02-22-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Launch vehicles up here (Canada) are used as test vehicles by potential buyers and dealers. I know of a few guys that have launch vehicles and have not had issues that I know of.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by gearFX
Thanks for all of the colorful responses and honest feedback! I wonder if maybe I'm mixing up the offical nomenclature. The window sticker just says "PCNA Display Vehicle" and makes no mention of "press vehicle" (I only got that from the Porsche Locator website, which may not be accurate?). Or is there no meaningful difference between the 2 labels and the terms can be used interchangeably?

Other than accepting the dealer's explanation at face value, is there another way to verify or learn about a particular vehicles usage history? There is nothing out of the ordinary on the Carfax report.Approximately 4,000 miles, PDK transmission.
4,000 miles and it wasn't sitting being polished at car shows. Display/Press/Driving event car, etc. Can be any of those things.

All the above are different than a "launch vehicle"which doesn't mean it was used for anything. My car is a 2012.5 is a launch vehicle and sold NEW with 19 miles in it. Just initial delivery cars when the 991.1 was introduced.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
"Launch Vehicle" is a PCNA preset build that they use to introduce new models to dealers often times with lots of equipment and some new features they are trying to push.
Originally Posted by STG991
A "Launch" car isn't a demo car, show car, display/press, or test vehicle. Merely the first batch of cars ordered for inventory when the 991.1 was released in 2012.5
Originally Posted by STG991
4,000 miles and it wasn't sitting being polished at car shows. Display/Press/Driving event car, etc. Can be any of those things.

All the above are different than a "launch vehicle"which doesn't mean it was used for anything. My car is a 2012.5 is a launch vehicle and sold NEW with 19 miles in it. Just initial delivery cars when the 991.1 was introduced.
Yeah, seems like a lot of misconceptions about "launch vehicles."

I have had no unusual issues with mine, just the usual COV problems (heater & PSE) that seemed to have popped up in the earlier 991s, plus one of my engine fans quit (replaced under warranty). But haven't had anything pop up this past year.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a "PCNA Display Vehicle" (aka "Press Vehicle")?