Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Paint Meter Readings (Pretty Please)

Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
illyoojeen
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Paint Meter Readings (Pretty Please)

I know this is a bit of an annoying post, but I promise I’ve searched the forum a bunch and am still unclear on this.

I am very close to buying a 991.2 Carrera. Accident free carfax and the dealer assures me there’s been no paint or body work. I asked for paint meter readings and he sent me a bunch. Hood, roof, and fenders have PPF.

Doors show between 5 and 6 mils on each side, so I think that’s ok. But one quarter panel reads just over 6 mils, while the other shows ~7.5. I can’t seem to find consensus on 1) whether 7+ is ever acceptable and 2) whether a 1.5 mil difference is enough to suggest paint work.

Also, the hood only shows 8.5 mils despite having PPF. Is that oddly low? The other PPF parts of the car exceed 10 (11 on the fenders and 15 on the roof).

Would really appreciate any insight you guys have. I’m out of state, so getting a PPI will be difficult. Seller has been very responsive, but there is still a little bit of a leap of faith here, which I am ok with. Just trying to do the best diligence I reasonably can.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

I think your readings are fine. My reading were a little inconsistent like yours. If there was body work and or repaint, you would probably be > 10 mils.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m far from a paint meter expert, but the few times I found repair work the meter went off the chart. It was so obvious where there was something done.

I just want to see consistency across the entire panel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Paint Meter Readings (Pretty Please)