Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 991 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I am bad at taking before and after photos, but I did add something new last weekend. When I ordered my car, my intent was to keep the base model very basic. But at time went on, the options list grew to 18K, and that is without a PDK. I waffled on whether to order the leather interior and the 4K+ just didn't seem worth it at the time especially for a black interior. I have about 3K on my car now, and the silver strip of trim on the dash started to bug me. So I replaced it with the black leather trim. I had been searching on eBay for trim as the dash and console pieces from Suncoast were about $1500. Some guy purchased a new 911 and had this removed for carbon fiber, so in essence it was a new set. We worked out a package deal I was thrilled about.

1. Anybody want the dash trim? Some people are putting carbon fiber on these pieces.

2. The change out was super easy. I already had the pry tool from changing out my tweeters. So those just popped out. The piece around the key switch has an electrical connection, but not difficult to unplug. The cupholder piece is just a grab and yank on the left side (not the swinging panel). All the new pieces just popped in. It would take most people 10 minutes to change this out.

I love the all-black dash now. It looks a bit retro, but also with the glass roof there is no longer any glare.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
Had H&R springs & H&R 7MM Spacers installed all the way around. I ordered the 15MM spacers at the same time so we could try them on the back, but they stuck out too much so I went with the 7's all the way around. Work done at europeanroadandracing.com
Bad ***. Really nice looking drop. We have the same car almost. Mine's not all wheel drive. This is on my list for sure.

alec
Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

Cool, thanks for the reply J.Ho
Old 05-11-2017, 06:23 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks ! I was a little concerned but all concerns gone, drives really great and smooth and love the look.

PS: Love your interior! I tried to get that but couldn't find the car with all the options + the boredeux red.

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
Bad ***. Really nice looking drop. We have the same car almost. Mine's not all wheel drive. This is on my list for sure.

alec
Old 05-12-2017, 03:04 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zaino for the inside, and new toothbrush heads. Yes, I will attempt to clean my seats using a sonicare toothbrush!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Before / After
Old 05-13-2017, 12:18 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
Had H&R springs & H&R 7MM Spacers installed all the way around. I ordered the 15MM spacers at the same time so we could try them on the back, but they stuck out too much so I went with the 7's all the way around. Work done at europeanroadandracing.com
Very nice.

And hello there neighbor.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:12 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Looks great. What size are those stickers?
I've got only one track that I ran (2 laps)...

Got rid of alphabet soup...

Last edited by fester; 05-13-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Installed the Mods4Cars Smarttop controller. Install was pretty easy...I did it in the strip mall parking lot while my son was in karate class. Hence the lack of pictures. Only two "issues": The "carpet" that covers the back of the top mechanism was a bugaboo to unhook at the far ends. The little hook it slides over there is directly below a hard pipe of some kind (looks like hydraulic, not sure) and super difficult to pull forward and up and unhook. That and since the control module faces the rear of the car, getting the connector back in is annoying as it's hard to get it lined up. I used my phone's camera in selfie mode as a mirror.

Doing it in a parking lot in the evening sun in a dress shirt and slacks didn't make it easier either. Especially in front of a Mexican chicken joint. I'm sure they wonders who this loco gringo was messing with his 911 in the parking lot.

Love this thing though. If you have a cab and don't have one, get it.
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Installed the Mods4Cars Smarttop controller. Install was pretty easy...
Great minds think alike... I installed this today also, it is AWESOME!

Only two "issues": The "carpet" that covers the back of the top mechanism was a bugaboo to unhook at the far ends. The little hook it slides over there is directly below a hard pipe of some kind (looks like hydraulic, not sure) and super difficult to pull forward and up and unhook.
This was a bit challenging for me at first as well. I found if you pulled entire carpet forward at lip, toward front of car, it is then much easier to slip over the clips.

That and since the control module faces the rear of the car, getting the connector back in is annoying as it's hard to get it lined up. I used my phone's camera in selfie mode as a mirror.
Very tricky for sure. I did it "blind", but found the following sequence to be the easiest...

1. Unclip lever on existing connector (practice with the lever in the new harness so you learn the mechanism first, once you know where to depress to release lever it is easier to do without looking.

2. Clip new harness into prior connectors location and lock lever.

3. Clip existing connector into new harness and lock lever.

4. Snap new module into new harness and adhere Velcro tape to side wall.

Love this thing though. If you have a cab and don't have one, get it.
Amen. Glad I found this as early in ownership as I did. It was becoming very annoying holding switch to open or close roof.

Equally annoying that windows kept goin up once top was down (you can program them to stay down with this set up).

One touch wind screen is also nice (again, don't have to hold button).

One touch for ALL windows is great as well. We are in a gated neighborhood and I always have to put up back quarter windows to display bar code for gate.

Easy install, took 20 minutes. You only need a Phillips screw driver and a flat metal plate (I used paint scraper) to pop covers off roll bars.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
It was becoming very annoying holding switch to open or close roof.
The reason for the holding the button design is if an obstacle like a tree branch is in the path or moves there. So what happens in that case now?
Old 05-13-2017, 04:20 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary JR
The reason for the holding the button design is if an obstacle like a tree branch is in the path or moves there. So what happens in that case now?
and the assumption that your hand doesnt move to the top of the windshield.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:34 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Old 05-13-2017, 06:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Old 05-13-2017, 06:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned