Sponsored by:

2015 question for a 2017 event

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2015 question for a 2017 event

Like many, i'm in love with my GTS and holding on to it for the long term has now become a real possibility. i just dont think you can do better than what has been done. pretty simple.

but what is difficult to me now is thinking through the math of a lease end and taking the option to buy the car at the predetermined residual value. ok we have been down this road before, if its below the blue book or used market etc you walk, if it's not and you want to buy it you buy. FINE. but my question is, if the residual value is above the market for similar cars, how can you keep an eye on YOUR car? i know every mile i have put on my GTS, it's the one i want. do people track VINs?

thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

well i guess i will go on my merry way.. good news is i have awhile to figure it out
Old 01-29-2016, 11:07 AM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If you love the car, buy it at end. Do you really want to turn it in, and buy another car that someone else spec'd and drove, just to save a little?
Are you sure you're not looking for an excuse to get a new one at lease end? (Not that there's anything wrong with that )
Old 01-30-2016, 05:13 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by holgum
If you love the car, buy it at end. Do you really want to turn it in, and buy another car that someone else spec'd and drove, just to save a little?
Are you sure you're not looking for an excuse to get a new one at lease end? (Not that there's anything wrong with that )
+1
Given the choice to pay a bit more for mine vs less for someone else's at lease end, I would choose mine. Of course, if its a big enough spread, then it gets trickier.
another thought is to re-lease it through a different finance company such as Premium or Putnam Leasing (it will then be an open ended lease) but then you can keep on leasing for tax efficiency purposes then buy it out when its down to say 20%.

Quick Reply: 2015 question for a 2017 event