991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 AM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2

I drove the 991.2 Carrera S today. Awesome! No one will be disappointed.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:01 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Good to know. We can all rest easy now after reading the 100+ other online reviews and Chris Harris's comments. I knew we had nothing to worry about
Old 01-28-2016, 01:26 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
I drove the 991.2 Carrera S today. Awesome! No one will be disappointed.
Thanks! Looking forward to getting mine in April.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't car what anyone else has to say, including Chris Harris!
I didn't wait nor read any reviews before ordering, I read the specs and many of the features are things I actually want.
Exhaust note, could care less, in fact I like a quiet exhaust.
My C4S comes in April and I will make up my mind after driving and living with it.
-Richard
Old 01-28-2016, 10:36 AM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budrichard
I really don't car what anyone else has to say, including Chris Harris!
I didn't wait nor read any reviews before ordering, I read the specs and many of the features are things I actually want.
Exhaust note, could care less, in fact I like a quiet exhaust.
My C4S comes in April and I will make up my mind after driving and living with it.
-Richard
I was interested in hearing about what people thought about the car. However, having never owned a sports car, much less a Porsche, I wasn't too concerned about the comparison to previous vehicles in terms of sound and "soul". I was interested in how it handled. I am with you in that I don't think I will mind a quiet exhaust note since this will be a daily driver, from a handling standpoint this sounds like it will be a lot of fun for me to drive every day :-)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Or put straight pipes on it! That won't be quiet 😉
Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM
STG
Race Director

Porsche has a winner .. A quiet, well handling, superior entertainment, great MPG, and lower emissions car. BMW and Benz should be worried, except the Porsche costs 50%+ more. If I HAD to buy a new car tomorrow, I'd buy an M something. Why pay through the nose for something that offers a close driving experience?

The best deal is a used 911 after it's depreciated $30K+ in the first 5K miles.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:57 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by vivekg
I was interested in hearing about what people thought about the car. However, having never owned a sports car, much less a Porsche, I wasn't too concerned about the comparison to previous vehicles in terms of sound and "soul". I was interested in how it handled. I am with you in that I don't think I will mind a quiet exhaust note since this will be a daily driver, from a handling standpoint this sounds like it will be a lot of fun for me to drive every day :-)
The Porsche marketing dept. will have this post floating around the office today. You seem like the type of buyer they're hoping to attract and increase 911 sales.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:00 AM
pkumar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be driving it in March at One Porsche Drive for training
Old 01-28-2016, 11:03 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Given the large number of new and used 991.1's for sale that don't have sport exhaust, could be Porsche determined sound wasn't that important to its current market. It is for me so I'll probably pass on the new one. Seems most of the inventory also has the dorky button shifters rather than paddles or stick. Makes me wonder who the majority of buyers are.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:04 AM
STG
Race Director

Lots of good reviews here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9025...eviews-24.html

Days worth of reading!

Not sure why this thread got started anyway?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:05 AM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
The Porsche marketing dept. will have this post floating around the office today. You seem like the type of buyer they're hoping to attract and increase 911 sales.
I doubt it, as Porsche has quite the identity that is due to their long heritage and I'm a complete newbie (though I've loved the look for ages). I'm sure their ideal case is a long time Porsche owner that loves it :-) .

I test drove a variety of cars (BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Maserati) that fit in what I was willing to spend. I enjoyed the 911 handling and the manual in particular. I agree with you about a pre-owned one being the better value, but I don't buy cars very often (2 summer cars during college and grad school, followed by 2 cars over a 24 year period once I started working), so I really wanted to order exactly what I wanted and was willing to pay a bit extra for that.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:09 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Given the large number of new and used 991.1's for sale that don't have sport exhaust, could be Porsche determined sound wasn't that important to its current market. It is for me so I'll probably pass on the new one. Seems most of the inventory also has the dorky button shifters rather than paddles or stick. Makes me wonder who the majority of buyers are.
You could be right. A quieter more electronics orientated, daily driver friendly car is a winner. Just watch out, the soccer moms might jump on board
Old 01-28-2016, 11:11 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
You could be right. A quieter more electronics orientated, daily driver friendly car is a winner. Just watch out, the soccer moms might jump on board
And never, ever shift manually.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:36 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a vocal Porsche fan base that espouses that if it's not loud and doesn't have a MT, then it's not fit to be driven by a 'purist'.
If it doesn't have 911 or 356 in the numbers than it's not 'worthy'.
I find these types of groups in any collector/aficionado group.
Now I will admit, Porsche fans do support the MT by purchasing the Spyders and GT4's.
But there are those of us, that have witnessed the evolution of the 'sports car' and grown up with the 345's, 911's, TR3&4's, E Jag's, Shelby AC's and the like.
Those cars were uncomfortable, certainly do not have today's safety features and downright inconvenient to drive.
I'll trade a modern Porsche any day over one of those cars.
Am i a purist? Maybe not but I do have an affection for the history, but the newer Porsche's will out perform those olders cars and in the end, that's what a 'sports car' is about, performance.-Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2