Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Door Rattle When Shutting (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/912550-door-rattle-when-shutting.html)

busta2706 01-08-2016 04:54 AM

Door Rattle When Shutting

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before.

I just became the proud owner of a new 2016 Sapphire Blue C4 GTS. The car is a dream in every way but I just have one small niggling thing. When shutting the drivers door, there is a very slight rattle from the window which I am guessing is coming from the topmost part of the window. I took it back to the dealer and he said the noise was normal. The passenger door on the other hand closes with a beautifully smooth "thump". The service advisor stated the driver and passenger doors are a different architecture.

Now it is not a major shake but I can just feel that it is not as it should be. Or maybe it is normal.

These small things drive me nuts :banghead:

Thanks in advance for your help....

Michael_s 01-08-2016 06:43 AM

Doesn't sound right and seems like a very lazy answer. Is there another dealer?

plenum 01-08-2016 07:26 AM

Shoot a short video clearly capturing the sound difference between driver and passenger doors, and post up on this forum. Might help us to help you, and perhaps get attention to the problem. As described though doesn't sound right to me....

mtony 01-08-2016 07:43 AM

Both of mine make a "clack" sound rather than a thump. Thought that was normal. Make sure the glass goes up/down slightly when you open and close the door.

991carreradriver 01-08-2016 09:40 AM

Where is the window position when you hear the rattle? If fully closed, does it also happen open. Does it happen if 50% lowered. The idea is to isolate where the sound is originating. Let us know.

MKW 01-08-2016 09:43 AM

my current and former 991 coupes' doors all close(d) with a typically Germanic low pitched , air sealing, solid " frwop "

busta2706 01-08-2016 12:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by plenum (Post 12908702)
Shoot a short video clearly capturing the sound difference between driver and passenger doors, and post up on this forum. Might help us to help you, and perhaps get attention to the problem. As described though doesn't sound right to me....

Originally Posted by mtony (Post 12908717)
Both of mine make a "clack" sound rather than a thump. Thought that was normal. Make sure the glass goes up/down slightly when you open and close the door.

I am attaching a couple of voice recordings here as requested. The first (001) is the driver's door which is the one that is suffering from the sound issue, the second (002) is the passenger door. This is my first time posting voice files so I hope it works.

I suppose it is more of a clacking noise now that @mtony mentions it...

busta2706 01-08-2016 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver (Post 12908878)
Where is the window position when you hear the rattle? If fully closed, does it also happen open. Does it happen if 50% lowered. The idea is to isolate where the sound is originating. Let us know.

The sound is most obvious with the window all the way up....tried all positions. Thinking about it now, maybe the U-Shaped Hook on the inner door sill receiving the door hook needs lubrication? Just thinking out loud here...

MKW 01-08-2016 12:47 PM

sorry , but your door close sound , most apparent in the first audio file is " ghetto " ....and is NOT acceptable for service dept personnel to lazily say " they all do that " . What they are REALLY saying is that there are several possible adjustments that mechanic can make but he has to be sure they all harmonize or else one creates endless loops of misadjustments by chasing one after another one ...ergo why they are " lazy " to do it because it is warranty and they only get minimum flat rate like seeing an HMO health provider vs a fee for service one and being paid by Porsche for 30 minutes in what might end up being two hours of shop time/ labor the dealer must cover ....
The service dept is a profit center ( " no workie/no payie " ) so when they makes excuses NOT to do something , there is an economic reason from their side !

Bottom line though is this type of rattle should not be heard in any newer car today , IMO , even on a $15k econobox

TrappistMonk 01-08-2016 01:32 PM

agree that is not normal. Any other issues like wind noise, is it properly closed/aligned?

991carreradriver 01-08-2016 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by busta2706 (Post 12909293)
The sound is most obvious with the window all the way up....tried all positions. Thinking about it now, maybe the U-Shaped Hook on the inner door sill receiving the door hook needs lubrication? Just thinking out loud here...

Definitely not normal. I had a 2014 and now a 2016 and can say that I have never experienced this sound. It almost sounds like something in the mirror is loose. I would recommend that you take it back to the dealer. When they tell you its normal, ask him to close some of the 991's doors that will be in the service bay. Then let's see what they say when the sound is not present in those cars. Any be sure to have your visit documented with a service order.

NoGaBiker 01-08-2016 02:33 PM

I don't have the rattle on closing but do have it in the driver's side Bose speaker when bass hits. Now before you blame me for being one of those raucous yoots who listen to that damn rock and roll too loud, I have my Bass set at +1 (out of 6) and I almost always listen to old-school jazz (pre-1975). Mostly string-bass, not electric. And at low volume. But still it buzzes. Only on the drivers side. Had it replaced in the summer, it's doing it again. Shift the fader or balance all the way to back or right and it goes away. Guess I'll try again with replacement.

busta2706 01-08-2016 04:13 PM

Firstly, thank you all for pitching in...really appreciate it.

Once the door is closed everything is rock solid. No wind noise or any other rattle. Side mirror is perfect as well. Even when closing the door standing outside the car the sound is perfect - a perfect swoop into closing position just like it should be.

And therein is the other problem: I am worried that if I hand the car in for them to check thoroughly which will inevitably entail them removing the door panels off a brand new car, this may result in further issues down the line.

I am starting to think that the window tinting has something to do with it maybe?

carrera911me 01-08-2016 04:17 PM

I don't hear that sound on mine. I would take it to another dealer that cares more about your concerns.

Dewinator 01-08-2016 07:11 PM

Have you tried resetting the window position memory? While the car is on w/engine off, you roll the window all the way down, release the switch, repress the down switch and hold for 3 seconds, release, roll the window all the way up, release, repress the up switch and hold for 3 seconds.

I had to take my passenger door apart to replace the passenger window switch, I looked up how to do it online and had to buy a plastic trim shim set, but it was actually pretty easy. Just don't forget to disconnect the battery so you don't accidentally set the airbag off.

Of course if your car is under warranty, it should be your dealership doing that, since it's their job.