Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Helmets (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/910629-helmets.html)

Polar Peter 01-04-2016 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ARAI GP5W with sun visor (Blue Helmet)

I would not drive anything without a full face helmet...

The "wider" opening of the GP5W works very well with improved visibility for closed cockpits cars, I use the GP6 (Gold Helmet) version for open wheel since the opening is much smaller in case....

TAL2GK 03-17-2017 12:16 AM

Reviving an old thread. I'm resigned to the fact I can't use my expensive motorcycle lid for DE or auto cross, so now I need to select a good one without the ability to try them on. Despite living in NASCAR's home town, I can't seem to find a racing store within an hour of Charlotte Motor Speedway that sells auto helmets.

I've owned HJC motorcycle helmets, so if an XL fit me 10 years ago in that brand, would it fit me now in the same brand. Similarly, I tried on a Bell motorcycle helmet at the Cycle Gear store, so can I infer that their auto helmets would fit similarly? Lastly, i could drive an hour up to Mooresville to the Simpson store, but not sure if it's worth the effort.

4pipes 03-17-2017 12:23 AM

I bought my Bell open face off a website after measuring my head with their instructions. Fit was perfect.

randr 03-17-2017 04:55 AM

Bell Mag 1 Rally (with intercom connector) - this is an open face helmet.

I much prefer open face helmets and indeed have only ever driven with open face helmets in hard top cars.

I recognise and acknowledge full faced helmets are a safer option - however I wear spectacles and have never ever been able to find a full face helmet that fits correctly and allows good fitment of spectacles.

tstafford 03-17-2017 07:57 AM

I've liked my Black Armor.

hsmith 03-17-2017 08:59 AM

I also second a recommendation for Arai. I have a GP6 and it's amazing.

StormRune 03-17-2017 11:43 AM

Note that technically most motorcycle helmets do not have the same approvals as car racing helmets. Also, you'll want to try on helmets as their head shapes vary so the fitment is rather personal. For I've ridden motorcycles all my life and can tell you that the fitment differences between brands is very noticeable. Some are more round, some more oval, etc.

All that said, I have a Simpson helmet for my Porsche and the fitment and quality is very nice. It also has Hans device connectors if I ever get that serious.

One other note: The structure of the ventilation ports are designed differently in car helmets and motorcycles helmets, especially if you go full face like I do. Motorcycles helmets are expected to be out in the airstream and their air flow ports for both head cooling and breathing and designed for this. Similarly, car racing helmets assume you are shielded from the air flow and will ventilate better in a car.

boatracer 03-17-2017 12:43 PM

+1 on Stilo! Love mine, fits great and is light. Wine Country did a great job setting up and coordinating with my Hans.

Code 03-17-2017 01:29 PM

HJC AR-10 III

sracer 03-17-2017 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by boatracer (Post 14039179)
+1 on Stilo! Love mine, fits great and is light. Wine Country did a great job setting up and coordinating with my Hans.

+1 on Stilo, too

Dewinator 03-17-2017 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by TAL2GK (Post 14038206)
Reviving an old thread. I'm resigned to the fact I can't use my expensive motorcycle lid for DE or auto cross, so now I need to select a good one without the ability to try them on.

You could probably just change "Snell M2015" to "Snell A2015" or whatever with a sharpie. Unless you're wearing a full Nomex racing suit, I seriously doubt that there are many situations where having a Auto spec Nomex liner in the helmet is going to be what saves you.

ajw45 03-18-2017 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dewinator (Post 14040867)
You could probably just change "Snell M2015" to "Snell A2015" or whatever with a sharpie. Unless you're wearing a full Nomex racing suit, I seriously doubt that there are many situations where having a Auto spec Nomex liner in the helmet is going to be what saves you.

I think it's the fire rating and also the impact design that are different. Auto helmets are designed for multiple impacts as your head bounces off things in the car cabin vs single impact on the motorcycle helmets.

TAL2GK 03-18-2017 11:11 AM

I was prepared to get a Bell M.8 but apparently Bell can't actually supply the market. I was told I'd get it anywhere from July to October for an order placed today.

I ended up with an HJC AR 10 III from SoloRacer. I haven't received it yet, but they took good care of me. I ordered at 5:10 pm yesterday and they hustled to get it ready for UPS pickup 30 minutes later. It should be here in plenty of time for my first autox with the C2S.

Dewinator 03-18-2017 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ajw45 (Post 14041185)
I think it's the fire rating and also the impact design that are different. Auto helmets are designed for multiple impacts as your head bounces off things in the car cabin vs single impact on the motorcycle helmets.

But a fire rating on your helmet won't matter to you if you're wearing regular clothes that catch on fire and burn you alive, and the multi-impact test included on the auto snell certification is designed to simulate bouncing around a roll cage, which you probably don't have. The design of the motorcycle helmet to protect your head while it bounces down the freeway is probably fine in a regular car cabin doing regular track day or autocross type events.

Need4S 03-18-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dewinator (Post 14041748)
But a fire rating on your helmet won't matter to you if you're wearing regular clothes that catch on fire and burn you alive, and the multi-impact test included on the auto snell certification is designed to simulate bouncing around a roll cage, which you probably don't have. The design of the motorcycle helmet to protect your head while it bounces down the freeway is probably fine in a regular car cabin doing regular track day or autocross type events.

Makes sense to me, but for most track events, motorcycle helmets are not permitted, period. I got a Bell Vador from Wine Country Motorsports. I agree about the personalized fitment. Really no substitute for doing it in person at a good shop.

As for regular clothing, you're right about that, too, which is why I went and got a racing suit, gloves, etc. I feel silly in it, and more than a bit embarrassed wearing it when that spec Miata flies by, but it's my skin, literally.