Sponsored by:

OEM backup camera - cost installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Christian Reyes
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread.

But if anyone still looking for a rear camera solution, I would recommend Pearl Rearvision.

I purchased one and not only does it work great but It has object detection, 5 minute install and it uses your iPhone or Android as the screen.

https://pearlauto.com/try-rearvision
Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Deleted (Gah. Old thread post dammit).
Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 PM
PorscheSmith
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Reyes
I know this is an old thread.

But if anyone still looking for a rear camera solution, I would recommend Pearl Rearvision.

I purchased one and not only does it work great but It has object detection, 5 minute install and it uses your iPhone or Android as the screen.

https://pearlauto.com/try-rearvision
I tried the pearl rear camera system and had issues with it's operation on my iphone. Apparently ios blocks the notification that sent by the pearl software when the phone is locked. You have to fiddle with your phone to get the video to be displayed which defeats the purpose of having a seamless interface. I returned it even after a 25% discount.
From what I've heard, an Android works much better with the Pearl system.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Christian Reyes
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That's an iPhone limitation.

You can get a throwaway cheap Android phone and it works superb.

The video quality is fantastic and the fact that you get object detection with audible alerts with onscreen guides is even better.

Just my 0.02 cents so YMMV but I rather spend $500 for this than spend 3 times as much with an integrated system that's not OEM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:31 PM
weespeed
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had issues connecting my Pearl RearVision to my android phone sometimes. I would have to close the app and reopen. But it was nice and the video is clear much better than the stock camera. But in the end I installed the Nav-tv solution. It costs a lot more.
That said I have it for sale if anyone is looking for one. Will include the obd flat cable to install into a 991. PM me if interested
Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with my Pearl Rearvision. I usually have my phone in my hand as I'm approaching my car (reading an email or text). I fire up the Pearl app as I approach the car. By the time my car is started the Rearvision is ready to go. Image quality shames the factory camera. Object detection works well (haven't used it too much yet).

My only complaint is that the solar-charged battery doesn't seem to last long...but then I do park in a covered garage at work and at home.

Unlike the Nav-TV solution the Pearl can easily be transferred to another vehicle.

Cheers,
NF
Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with my Pearl Rearvision. I usually have my phone in my hand as I'm approaching my car (reading an email or text). I fire up the Pearl app as I approach the car. By the time my car is started the Rearvision is ready to go. Image quality shames the factory camera. Object detection works well (haven't used it too much yet).

My only complaint is that the solar-charged battery doesn't seem to last long...but then I do park in a covered garage at work and at home.

Unlike the Nav-TV solution the Pearl can easily be transferred to another vehicle.

Cheers,
NF
Hi any issue with the plug in?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:22 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm strongly considering the navtv. Since the 991 lacks bumperettes, even a minor tap can cost you a 3k repair.

Learned the hard way.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:59 AM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another user recommended a place in Paramus, NJ. I called them and they'll install a Nav Tv for $1099. They could even come to you and do the install.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:52 AM
NF4710
Pro

Originally Posted by HK G36C
Hi any issue with the plug in?
None whatsoever. Once a month I unhook the camera and charge it for a few hours on my laptop. It takes 30 seconds to remove and install. I used a right angle OBD cable to connect their OBD dongle.

Cheers,
NF
Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by pashaj
Another user recommended a place in Paramus, NJ. I called them and they'll install a Nav Tv for $1099. They could even come to you and do the install.
I would exercise a fair bit of caution dealing with companies that undercharge. There's a slight chance that they just don't know how to price their products and work, but it's more likely they don't hold the same quality standards as others. We are probably 1.5x their quote and will not do work on site, but of course, we care more than most about the craftsmanship and reliability.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 AM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Nick,
You're probably right, although I have followed a lot of your posts in the past, and I think it would be unfair to hold others to your standard. Your work speaks for itself and you are appropriately compensated for it.
I also think here on the East coast there is so much competition that it drives prices down a little.
Best,
Pasha

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
I would exercise a fair bit of caution dealing with companies that undercharge. There's a slight chance that they just don't know how to price their products and work, but it's more likely they don't hold the same quality standards as others. We are probably 1.5x their quote and will not do work on site, but of course, we care more than most about the craftsmanship and reliability.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I have the Pearl Rearvision and find it works very well with the iPhone. Once I had problems hooking it up but when I connected it to wifi, it seems to start up every time now.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:25 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
None whatsoever. Once a month I unhook the camera and charge it for a few hours on my laptop. It takes 30 seconds to remove and install. I used a right angle OBD cable to connect their OBD dongle.

Cheers,
NF
Thank you! I ordered it. I really need it. Where did get the right angle obd extension?will I need one?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 PM
NF4710
Pro

I ordered a Veepeak OBD2 right angle cable from Amazon for $8. It's worked well so far. Perhaps I should add that I use mine with a T-design mount rather than the included Pearl mount. The Pearl mount is high quality but I don't trust a magnet to secure my large iPhone.

Cheers,
NF

Quick Reply: OEM backup camera - cost installed