991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM backup camera - cost installed

Old 12-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

I was quoted 3-4 hours labor ($380) plus the Nav-TV part ($699) and the choice of camera ($99 to $249) by a high end audio shop OP.

Anyone done a Nav-TV or similar install in the SF City Area and recommend a shop to do the work?

I am considering it since I live in the tight confines of the City, and will gladly solicit help from a qualified installer over that DIY Impressive work though!!

STG - what is the challenge with the 2012.5 PCM? My '13 is a Sept 12 build so any info appreciated (will check NAV-TV's site)
Old 12-26-2015, 02:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
On a related note (hope that's OK OP!) Anyone done a Nav-TV or similar install in the Bay Area - I am looking into it and will gladly solicit help from a qualified installer over DIY

STG - what is the challenge with the 2012.5 PCM? My '13 is a Sept 12 build so any info appreciated (will check NAV-TV's site)
Model year 2013 should be no issues. I remember calling NAV-TV a while back and gave them the PCM version or some info they wanted, and they said it wouldn't work. Mine is a model year 2012 991.

After living with the coupe for a while, didn't really persue it further. Not really a "must" for me.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:22 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the Nav-tv backup camera work as well as the one from the factory? I thought I read that the guidelines didn't work.

Has anyone heard of TadiBrothers?

http://www.tadibrothers.com/catalog/...-camera-system

They claim to have one the same as the factory
Old 12-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a rear camera installed a few years back. It's not NAV-TV it's by CIS, Car Integration Systems. At the time I had it installed the owner said he liked this better than the NAV-TV version. I have a Sony camera that I believe has better resolution than the stock one, also had the camera housing color matched GT Silver which really helps with the looks of it. I think it cost $800 installed. The product has worked great. The install however did not go so well, evidently they gave the project to a newer guy and he ended up scratching the switches below the PCM. they apologized profusely but it took about 6 months to get that squared away, the new parts did not initially work with my options, it sounds crazy but some functionality like Sports Plus, etc. rely on programming that access the HVAC controls. I also have a lot of extended leather including around the PCM, there were slight scratches there which also needed to be cleaned up.

I do like the camera a lot but would have opted against it had I known there would be install issues. How are you ever going to know that though, the shop is very well recommended.

functionally it works great with no need to open the PCM to install.

In the past I would usually tackle these projects myself, I did a complete NAV upgrade on the first series VW R32 that I had a while back which worked great. I didn't want to mess around with taking the interior of this one apart when I first got it for some reason.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Does the Nav-tv backup camera work as well as the one from the factory? I thought I read that the guidelines didn't work.

I couldn't find any retrofit systems which had "active" guidelines which turn with the steering wheel.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:14 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapture1
I couldn't find any retrofit systems which had "active" guidelines which turn with the steering wheel.
That's a shame. I'd really like to install a backup camera, but I'd like one with guidelines that actually work.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:57 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers

Guidelines- with most aftermarket solutions I've seen, you get the guidelines (you can toggle them on or off) but they don't "bend" to the direction of the front wheels as I've seen in Panamera and Cayennes equipped with PDC and Backup camera option. But the guidelines DO appear as factory in the PCM display, and you get the depth indicated in colors, and I believe with the park distance control this will all work as "factory" intended.

As for Tadibrothers -- Yes, heard of them.... I ran across them some time back and looked at their products. But if you research a bit further, I believe the TadiBrothers product is actually using a NAV-TV interface module. They've simply repackaged.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you need to remove the rear bumper to run the wires? What about front camera installation?
Old 12-27-2015, 05:18 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

To all the posters who referred to a dealer installed retrofit:

Are you certain the dealer was referring to/quoting an OEM Porsche camera?

I ask because my SA at a Flagship dealer responded to me on Saturday that Porsche does not sell or support a retrofit camera installation. The service dept has always been supportive, etc so I know I'm not getting shined on. I'd love to have part numbers and any other Porsche internal codes if you really got quoted a "factory retrofit"

TIA
gordon

Last edited by beaverlake; 12-28-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:07 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Do you need to remove the rear bumper to run the wires? What about front camera installation?
Short answer is that you don't need to remove the rear bumper cover to install the camera. Would it help? probably. I did remove the rear passenger-side tail light as well. For all the sordid details, check out my DIY:

I can't say specifically the same for the front, as I have not installed one in my case.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:34 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by plenum
Short answer is that you don't need to remove the rear bumper cover to install the camera. Would it help? probably. I did remove the rear passenger-side tail light as well. For all the sordid details, check out my DIY:

I can't say specifically the same for the front, as I have not installed one in my case.
Thanks I saw your instructions and are very clear, I would rather not drill the bumper if possible, can you remove the metal screw section on the NAV camera and maybe use a 3M adhesive strip (or silicone)?

Last edited by GiuseppeM; 12-27-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:35 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake
To all the posters who referred to a dealer installed retrofit:

Are you certain the dealer was referring to/quoting an OEM Porsche camera?

I ask because my SA at a Flagship dealer responded to me on Saturday that Porsche does not sell or support a retrofit camera installation. The service dept has always been supportive, etc so I know I'm not getting shined on. I'd love to have part numbers and any other Porsche internal codes if you really got quoted a "factory retrofit"

TIA
gordon
Ask your SA if this isn't the required factory part:

http://store.paramountauto.com/porsc...rt_name=camera
Old 01-01-2016, 10:42 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Ask your SA if this isn't the required factory part:

http://store.paramountauto.com/porsc...rt_name=camera
So is it possible to retrofit the camera system with OEM parts and avoid NAVTV's interface?
Old 01-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
So is it possible to retrofit the camera system with OEM parts and avoid NAVTV's interface?
I won't be able to try it until this summer when my car arrives, but I have to assume the answer is yes. What if you get rear-ended in your car that came equipped with a rearview camera from the factory? Would the auto body shop just go "Oh, well! No way to re-install a new camera in this car!"? The parts are available, the PCM units already have an input for it, so it's just a matter of finding an installer who can do it.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:25 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I won't be able to try it until this summer when my car arrives, but I have to assume the answer is yes. What if you get rear-ended in your car that came equipped with a rearview camera from the factory? Would the auto body shop just go "Oh, well! No way to re-install a new camera in this car!"? The parts are available, the PCM units already have an input for it, so it's just a matter of finding an installer who can do it.
Yes what I meant is in the case of the GT3 the car doesn't come with a factory option so can you just purchase the camera and plug it to the PCM?

This is the schematic for the Turbo S:

http://store.paramountauto.com/auto-...ber=7pp980653b

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM backup camera - cost installed