Sponsored by:

Bilstein / Spring Dealer Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein / Spring Dealer Install

I'm considering installing a set of either B16s or Techart springs... Does anyone have experience with having a dealer install, and what the install cost would be at dealer rates? In theory, I assume the B16s would be less total time, but I'm guessing it doesn't work that way...
Old 11-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this ...

my guess is that it would be a wash rate-wise, it might be a bit simpler to install the B16's since it would not require spring compressors but at the end of the day its 4 corners + alignment.

As far as price goes, TechARTs are around $600, B16 around $3k ... KW H.A.S circa $1500
Old 12-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

I have done a spring upgrade on every car I've owned but only used a dealer once. My logic is that I wanted a Porsche focused shop that setup race/track cars because I had more confidence that the setup would be right. The last time I did an upgrade, putting Techart on my 991, I had the dealer do it. Big mistake. They charged me about $1,200 which is the most I have ever paid. Once side of the car sat lower than the other and they had to re-do it, and I'm still not convinced it's right.

The point is I would only use the dealer if I had no other options. If you can I'd look for a shop that works on Porsche's with a preference for ones that setup cars for track days.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpup
I have done a spring upgrade on every car I've owned but only used a dealer once. My logic is that I wanted a Porsche focused shop that setup race/track cars because I had more confidence that the setup would be right. The last time I did an upgrade, putting Techart on my 991, I had the dealer do it. Big mistake. They charged me about $1,200 which is the most I have ever paid. Once side of the car sat lower than the other and they had to re-do it, and I'm still not convinced it's right.

The point is I would only use the dealer if I had no other options. If you can I'd look for a shop that works on Porsche's with a preference for ones that setup cars for track days.

Good luck.
+1 you might find it hard to find a dealer who will install aftermarket parts anyway, and you definitely want a shop that is experienced in doing
alignments (esp w/the coilovers)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:18 PM
ddodds
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
I'm considering installing a set of either B16s or Techart springs... Does anyone have experience with having a dealer install, and what the install cost would be at dealer rates? In theory, I assume the B16s would be less total time, but I'm guessing it doesn't work that way...
I had techart springs installed by Sharkweks for around $1000. I was told to let them settle for about 100 miles then get an alignment. Alignment was done at dealer for another $300. Looking back I might have overpaid but I am very happy with the results.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:09 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have them done at the Exchange (Chicago) if at a dealer, and they do aftermarket no problem... I'd prefer to have the dealer do it, as that's just my preference since they do all other work, but if the price difference was dramatic compared to an aftermarket shop (perfect power, fall-line, etc) than I'd just take it there...

I also wasn't sure if there was a difference in springs vs coilover install, as I would imagine coilover is much quicker as it's a more clean swap... Understanding the difference in part pricing, but I'm not et decided on which to do, as the ability to raise it in the winter would be nice (coilovers), but 600 is also a lot nicer than 3000...

Quick Reply: Bilstein / Spring Dealer Install