Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is PTV a liability on the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 02:06 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2014 991S has 10k miles on it and is on its third set of rotors. In my first DE weekend I completely burned up the rear pads and rotors. I attribute most of that to it being the first time I had the new car on the track. Completely different dynamics from my previous track car, a 2007 Cayman S.

Since then I have upgraded to Pagid Yellow pads and learned to drive the car more appropriately. And faster. I still crack rotors long before I wear them out, though.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Larry what did the 997.1 GT3 guys do?
AFAIK no one came up with a real engineered solution (except for Porsche who cured this in the 7.2)

everyone else just went with higher temp pads and brake fluid ... made sure
they properly cooled the car down at the end of a session, and ultimately
replaced their rear rotors more often...
Old 10-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
My 2014 991S has 10k miles on it and is on its third set of rotors. In my first DE weekend I completely burned up the rear pads and rotors. I attribute most of that to it being the first time I had the new car on the track. Completely different dynamics from my previous track car, a 2007 Cayman S.

Since then I have upgraded to Pagid Yellow pads and learned to drive the car more appropriately. And faster. I still crack rotors long before I wear them out, though.
Pagid Yellows (and higher temp brake fluid) will help, to slow rotor cracking be sure to make your last lap a proper cooling lap; proper cooling will allow the
rotors to cool over a longer period of time which should help with the thermal
expansion and contraction...
Old 10-25-2015, 01:38 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Pagid Yellows (and higher temp brake fluid) will help, to slow rotor cracking be sure to make your last lap a proper cooling lap; proper cooling will allow the
rotors to cool over a longer period of time which should help with the thermal
expansion and contraction...
Agree. That's exactly the formula I use. I have Motul 600 fluid now with better results than the ATE Gold I used last season. And I've learned to take my last lap almost completely sans-braking if I can!

It's an expensive hobby, but there is none I enjoy more!

Mid Ohio...

Quick Reply: Is PTV a liability on the track?