Sponsored by:

Driving In Sport Plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:30 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmoney3982
2016 C4S SPASM 7MT PSE. . Ignition on. Sport Plus button on. Seatbelt. Happiness.
This. In manual mode. Sometimes I will disable the Sport + and keep PSE on to eliminate the pops when off the gas. There are so many personalities this car has. I would recommend to everyone they play around with the settings.

Sport - pse on off
Sport + pse on off
Etc.

What a great car we all have to enjoy today.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:41 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I rarely use Sport+ with my 991.2 C2S. Just on aggressive back road driving. Have never driven my 911 on a track. Had a big epiphany with Sport+ though. I have PDK and love it, but strafing back roads in sport mode had me not quite understanding how to drive the car, compared to the many hours of track days I have done on sport bikes. On bikes you keep the revs high all the time, use a bit of engine braking, smooth on and off the throttle, and all that stuff. When I put my car in Sport+ it suddenly all made sense. In terms of engine characteristics, it felt a lot like a bike, and I really clicked with the car then.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Long drives - normal mode - auto, suspension setting soft
General driving - sport mode - auto/manual, suspension setting soft
Sporty driving - sport plus mode - manual/auto, suspension setting firm but road dependant
Track driving - sport plus mode - auto, suspension setting firm

PSE on most of the time - (but not as I arrive or leave home)

PS I have noticed the boost profile with sport plus activated is more aggressive than in sport mode
Old 04-09-2017, 11:38 PM
AFX1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.1 MT GTS
Start engine, sport exhaust on; normal for city driving
Longer trips & freeway; Sport
Mountains for pleasure; Sport+ (care with lowered front spoiler if the surface gets rough)
Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

At first I spent a lot of time going to normal if I was on the freeway or whatever, but after awhile I tried some trips the same in normal and sport and I came to the conclusion that if you're moving, I don't think normal really saves any gas.

The only reason I don't do Sport Plus all the time is the extra button push to put the spasm back into normal (sport is too harsh for day to day driving) and the annoyance of having to go back to Sport to use 7th on the freeway.

On the .1, they should just have made the car use the Sport Plus engine and PDK maps all the time, let you use 7h and got rid of the stupid kickdown. I know having different modes sounds cool but there really is no need at all for a "make the engine lazy" mode. It's stupid, it's a sports car so make it responsive all the time.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I am not sure why I would ever be in Sport+ and invite a slide I don't want to take.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I am not sure why I would ever be in Sport+ and invite a slide I don't want to take.
What are you talking about?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

^^^Good question.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:45 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

2012.5 S 7MT. Sport+ always. Start car, press sport+, seat ventilation (I live in Florida), go.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:21 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get to drive the GTS often, so when I do its Sport Plus once the engine is warm. PDK, but always manual - do I down shift to hear the exhaust blip and rev match, yes sometimes, but not into first gear at a stop light.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I wonder if Sport+ is different depending on the model. I have the 991.2 C2S with sport chrono with the little dial on the steering wheel. Sport+ is pretty aggressive engine management which would not really make much sense to use in most driving situations.

Strange that my dealer told me when we took delivery of the car not to use sport+ because it shifts at redline. Not true. Maybe at 100% throttle it shifts at redline? Driving on back roads the shift point is way higher than sport mode but not close to redline.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:44 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default If I had to guess

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I believe that sport + minimizes the "nanny" effect found in PSM. I am not sure to what extent though. If anyone has a good answer on that, please chime in.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:49 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I believe that sport + minimizes the "nanny" effect found in PSM. I am not sure to what extent though. If anyone has a good answer on that, please chime in.
I would hope not.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Originally Posted by points
^^^Good question.
Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Originally Posted by PatrickC23
I would hope not.
I know less (so far) about Porsche but if it is anything like BMW the car is more prone to sliding around.

"Sport Plus An even Sportier Setting. The usual setting for this mode is to use whatever sport setting the vehicle has and then disengage features such as the traction control and stabiliy control or reduce their effectiveness."

http://www.whyhighend.com/driving-modes.html
Old 04-10-2017, 06:29 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Just found this in a search

This is what Porsche.com says about the regular Sport button:

The SPORT button on the center console is fitted as standard. When selected, Sport mode is activated to provide greater response and enhanced driving pleasure. Throttle response becomes even more direct, the rev-limiter is adjusted to a harder setting and engine dynamics are tuned for performance driving. The auto start/stop function is also deactivated.

With the optional Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, the shift points are reconfigured to operate at higher engine speeds. Shift times are reduced and gearshifts become firmer and more immediate, while throttle-blip downshifts are accompanied by an emotive engine sound. Coasting mode is deactivated automatically.

This is what Porsche.com says about the Sport Plus button:

...the SPORT PLUS button. When this is pressed, optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) switches to ‘Sport’ mode for harder damping and more direct steering and therefore, even more intensive road holding. The trigger threshold for PSM is raised. Agility is perceptibly enhanced when braking for corners with PSM, allowing even sportier braking and exit acceleration. For even greater dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in SPORT PLUS mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required. ...Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) is geared up for the shortest possible shift times and optimum shift points, while torque boosts during gear changes provide the maximum acceleration available. This involving experience is further enhanced by overrun downshifts and the throttle-blip function for uncompromising driving pleasure.

Quick Reply: Driving In Sport Plus