Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving In Sport Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does Sport Plus do that Sport doesn't besides match revs and stiffen shocks?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
What does Sport Plus do that Sport doesn't besides match revs and stiffen shocks?
Per Porsche .....
"...the SPORT PLUS button. When this is pressed, optional Porsche Active Suspension Managementicon (PASM) switches to ‘Sport’ mode for harder damping and more direct steering and therefore, even more intensive road holding. The trigger threshold for PSM is raised. Agility is perceptibly enhanced when braking for corners with PSM, allowing even sportier braking and exit acceleration. For even greater dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in SPORT PLUS mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required. ...Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) is geared up for the shortest possible shift times and optimum shift points, while torque boosts during gear changes provide the maximum acceleration available. This involving experience is further enhanced by overrun downshifts and the throttle-blip function for uncompromising driving pleasure."

But the you probably already knew that ......
Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, we all knew that ;-) Additionaly, I believe in Sport mode, PSM is reactivated when one wheel goes into abs. In Sportplus it waits until two wheels go into abs !

I drive mostly in Sport Mode, PDK manual, PSE ON. Most of my driving is backroads fun driving.
Highway driving is in Normal mode, PDK auto, PSE OFF. Comfy under the radar cruising.
I HATE SportPlus for public roads ! Never ever use it. It is MUCH too violent. Never ever used the launch control either.

On track, outlaps are always in Sport mode, PDK manual. But I sometimes go to SportPlus when I get more aggressive. And sometimes even to PDK Auto mode, depending on what I'm trying to learn or accomplish that session. I'm not a very gifted driver, so I like to take shifting out of the equation sometimes to focus on braking points, turnin points, apexes and so on. And when I get those in check I start throwing things together again.
But still, even on track, I feel SportPlus shifting is way to aggressive. Last time out on a soaking wet track in the rain I had to disable SportPlus because it nearly threw me off track at every shift I did (in a straight line).
Old 10-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I only use Sport Plus with my PDK around town with the shift lever snapped to the left in the manual mode. Otherwise the downshifts to keep the rpm above 4,000 or so come unexpectedly while watching traffic if you let off on the accelerator to slow down. In manual mode you can control fully up and down with the paddle shifters. In manual you will need to downshift manually or it will coast all the way to a stop, only shifting back to first as you come to a halt.
In just Sport . . . late braking with the PDK shifter in auto mode gives you cool sounding blipping downshifts as you scream up to a stop past other cars, attracting much attention espicially with the Porsche Sport Exhuast.
Face it, that's what we bought these cars for.
+1

With PDK if you want to explore the rev range above 3k you pretty much have to use manual mode IMO ... Sport+ for me is a track only option.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:37 AM
derf
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I only use Sport Plus with my PDK around town with the shift lever snapped to the left in the manual mode. Otherwise the downshifts to keep the rpm above 4,000 or so come unexpectedly while watching traffic if you let off on the accelerator to slow down. In manual mode you can control fully up and down with the paddle shifters. In manual you will need to downshift manually or it will coast all the way to a stop, only shifting back to first as you come to a halt.
In just Sport . . . late braking with the PDK shifter in auto mode gives you cool sounding blipping downshifts as you scream up to a stop past other cars, attracting much attention especially with the Porsche Sport Exhuast.
Face it, that's what we bought these cars for.
on the 991.2 models you can now drive in the city in Sport Plus auto without difficulty. It no longer only upshifts at redline, and is more city usable on downshift auto sport plus as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

99.9% of the time in my manual. I should have bought a GT3 lol
Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default 7 MT Daily Driver here and...

I use either sport or sport+ exclusively in my .2 Mainly for the rev matching and it also turns on PSE. My car is equipped with SPASM and PDCC so I have the button which has the shock absorber/PDCC label. I tried to do some research on this button to help understand the dynamics of the options when turned on. I found the following information with the disclaimer that it is a copy/paste from my research:

"I asked one of the engineers in Germany that developed the system and one of the works drivers who helped test it: On the 991.2 TTS when the PDCC console button is deactivated (light is off), both the PASM and PDCC is put into a "normal/comfort mode" which softens the compression damping of the shocks, adds some rebound damping, and reduces both the front and rear roll stiffness (PDCC). The PDCC is always active, it's mode is altered.

Conversely, when the PDCC console button is activated (light on), the dampers are stiffened by a large amount and the PDCC is put into "performance mode" which severely controls chassis roll depending on other factors (if it thinks you're turning or going over bumps, etc).

I haven't driven a 991.2 TTS with out the PDCC option, but I'd be surprised if it's baseline rollbar settings aren't a little stiffer than the PDCC enabled car (with the PDCC button turned off) to make up for the inability to dynamically control them. Would be interesting to drive them side by side.

As it stands, I still like my 991.2 TTS with the PDCC button turned off for all driving -- cruising and spirited."

This info references the .2 TTS but I would expect it would apply to all cars with these options.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a 991.1 Base with PDK and PSE. I drive almost exclusively in manual mode unless in bumper to bumper traffic which is the new reality here in Atlanta with the interstate collapse we experienced last week

My question is this...what tangible benefit, other than sound, does one gain in everyday driving in manual mode when switching between Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus? I notice when idling, if I engage Sport mode the engine idles slightly higher and the throttle is supposedly more responsive, but I'm not sure I can really tell the difference. Sport Plus tightens the dynamic engine mounts and the manual PDK shifts definitely slam into gear more abruptly under hard acceleration, but again, there's not much benefit in daily driving if you like to manually shift your PDK. My conclusion has been that if you like to manually shift the PDK, it really doesn't matter what mode you're in on the street. The clear benefit to those modes are apparent only when the PDK is in Auto mode and the shift points get more aggressive. I tend to drive in Sport mode, but it's mostly because the PSE is automatically engaged and I get the pops and gurgles from the PSE. The car does not really seem to accelerate faster than normal mode.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Canefan
I've got a 991.1 Base with PDK and PSE. I drive almost exclusively in manual mode unless in bumper to bumper traffic which is the new reality here in Atlanta with the interstate collapse we experienced last week

My question is this...what tangible benefit, other than sound, does one gain in everyday driving in manual mode when switching between Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus? I notice when idling, if I engage Sport mode the engine idles slightly higher and the throttle is supposedly more responsive, but I'm not sure I can really tell the difference. Sport Plus tightens the dynamic engine mounts and the manual PDK shifts definitely slam into gear more abruptly under hard acceleration, but again, there's not much benefit in daily driving if you like to manually shift your PDK. My conclusion has been that if you like to manually shift the PDK, it really doesn't matter what mode you're in on the street. The clear benefit to those modes are apparent only when the PDK is in Auto mode and the shift points get more aggressive. I tend to drive in Sport mode, but it's mostly because the PSE is automatically engaged and I get the pops and gurgles from the PSE. The car does not really seem to accelerate faster than normal mode.
I definitely feel a difference in acceleration between the 3 modes, but basically agree with you otherwise. You get better gas mileage in normal mode automatic shifting. Also, you can turn on PSE in normal mode, but definitely not as soulful sounding.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a PDK owner, I use Sport when I don't have passengers and Sport+ rarely, though I am still learning the car.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Another feature of sport + over sport

Sorry if it has already been stated but in sport plus, you eliminate the exhaust crackle while slowing that is present in the sport. Also, sport + activates the SPASM/PDCC button.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:03 AM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

2016 C4S SPASM 7MT PSE. . Ignition on. Sport Plus button on. Seatbelt. Happiness.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:38 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

7MT, Sport+ with comfort/regular chassis 90% of the time.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 AM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thread... glad to know I am not alone...

2015 C2S 7MT... haven't driven more than a mile without Sport+ since I got it. I do put it in comfort chassis mode as well.

I guess from what I am reading on this revived thread that basically its the shifting that people hate in the PDK when you put it in Sport+. I had a Macan GTS and Sport+ was just a little too much for normal driving, so I get that when in auto, but when we can decide when to shift using either the 7MT or the paddles, not sure why its such an issue.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I do let the car get to an oil temp of at least 160 then flip it to Sport +. If I'm just running errands where I'm making short drives and multiple stops I use Sport with normal shock setting.
I have a 4S with PASM and PDCC.

Quick Reply: Driving In Sport Plus