Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Old 02-01-2019, 02:11 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Looks good.

I got an updated tracking sheet today that lists a port hold for a "quality action". I figured this whole two-months early thing was too good to be true.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Well, I finally have some thing to report

As many of you know, I live in the Seattle area and only found an allocation from the dealer in Beaverton Oregon, about four hours away. Fortunately the SA (Kyle) at the dealer has been great, keeping me informed about he status of hte car along the way and working with me on minor things I wanted done prior to pick-up (clear marker lights, pick-up from airport).

The complication for me has been one of tires - I don't like the hassle of having to switch wheels twice a year and the weather around here is really well suited for all-seasons - as we get many cold, rainy days under 40 degrees, but afternoons in the mid 40's - mid - 50's. But all seasons have been backordered since before Christmas. That meant I had to time the pickup of my car with warmish weather. Fortunately that's been the case for all of January, s I had a plane ticket booked to get the car on Thursday of this week.

Come Thursday last week, and the ten day weather forecast keeps getting worse - seems like winter is coming...

I call Kyle and ask him to get my car ready sooner (had arrived at the dealer Tuesday last week). I buy a second (grr) plane ticket to Portland, add the car to my insurance, arrange my funds, and the the journey is on!

After a not great night of rest,, my Saturday starts at

I get my wife to drive me to the airport. On the way down, I unsuccessfully try to convince her to just drive me all the way to Portland.

What can i say about domestic travel, other than thank goodness for

My Porsche delivery vehicle awaits

to be continued...
Old 02-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Thinc2
Pro

As I Uber from PDX to the dealership, I'm struck at how homogenized the US is. I was in Portland, but in my sleep deprived state, as i drove by a series of cookie cutter strip malls with chain restaurants, movie theaters, car dealerships, I realized I was in in Anycity USA - it's all so alike.

But fortunately, I was on my way to buy a not-boring car. Because I dislike boring cars.

The experience at the Beaverton dealer was very good. Kyle was waiting for me at the door when i arrived. He seemed to share my excitement about the purchase (that is good customer service). After making sure I was well settled with caffeine and water etc, we got the paperwork done in a heartbeat. I've purchased a number of cars in the last few years, and none have gone as smoothly and as quickly as this transaction. All the paperwork was prepared ahead of time. The Finance guy showed me the required upsell items (packages for maintenance etc), but unlike my recent purchases at Honda (daughter) and Lexus (wife), didn't try to delay me and pressure me into them. What a nice surprise.

Although i don't recall telling them my birthday is coming up, it was nice that the car was ready for me and well presented

As I saw the car I knew immediately I had made the right choice to get a 991.2 over the 992. I admire cars that have a balance of sportiness and elegance and this narrow body 911 just nails it for me. I think this is a classically beautiful design and one of the most gracious modern cars available - in many ways it's flowing lines are similar to the Maserati Granturismo I had not too long ago (and I shall always miss the sound of that engine).

Upon closer inspection, I realized I love the creases that run from the end of the roof alongside the rear window - just fabulous.

And the quality of the rear fins over the engine cover just have a wonderful feel and symmetry to them. There are many lovely details to this car.

So after a thorough walk-through of all the functions ( my first Porsche), I was ready to be on my way and looking forward to a nice drive home

Love the wheels I chose...

So my observations after my first four hours driving:

Overall, super favorable. I was moving through the gears quite a bit to vary the rpm's while keeping it under 4k as instructed. I do feel the car has turbo lag, but perhaps I need to keep the rpms up. Certainly if tyou let the car shift for you in either Normal or Sport, the rpm's stay pretty low and turbo lag is present.

Stereo - I thought I would do the tweeter update from Musicar immediately, but after a nearly 4 hour drive home, I find the Bose adequate. I will likely do the upgrade at some point, but not immediately as I originally thought.

Love the volume button for the stereo. So simple. So effective. Even brand new to the car, the volume falls to hand without having to glance at where it is. Perfectly placed.

PDK shifter is really oversized. Could be 20% smaller. It block access to the air controls - which is annoying. I see why they tried to do something different in the 992 - even if they perhaps went a bit too far.

Love the adjustability of the 14 ways. However no matter where I put the seat/steering wheel, a portion of the dash is obscured. Annoyingly, for me it's the gas gauge that is obscured. I think this is poor placement for the fuel gauge... Annoying.

Very surprisingly, my key fob had a low battery - had a heck of a time locking/unlocking the car. Kind of scary when i couldn't get back in the car after my lunch stop (had forgotten about the physical key that my SA had shown me just two hours prior - but we covered a lot of stuff...) Eventually it opened, but was sporadic. Upon arriving home, changing the battery fixed the issue. Did not get a warning light in the car about a key fob battery as the manual indicates. Spare key fob worked fine.

Where do you put the sunglasses? I know this car has limited storage space - bu the door side pockets seem like a poor solution for sun glasses - does anyone have a suggestion?

Streaming music from Amazon Music Unlimited - when I was with my SA we preset the little diamond button on the steering well to advance to the next song/station. But once I started drivng, I found this doesn't work with Amazon music Unlimited. Or is it that it doesn't work with Bluetooth?

The adjustable display on the dash in front of the driver - the one where you can scroll through - at first it would show me the song that was playing, but after a while it showed the input source - ie. Bluetooth. What's normal here?

AppleCar play - I tried it, but have never used it before. Does it only work if you are hard wired int other USB socket in the compartment between driver and passenger? Not entirely sure I like it better than navigating from my phone in any case - seems laggy.

Streaming music - on my phone it shows the album cover and progress through the song (ie how much time is left in the song). On the car display it only shows the song title - no album cover artwork and no progression through the song - is this normal?

Overall - very happy with the car. Very happy with the choices I made around options. I have the leather interior, SC, PDK, Bose, sport mirrors. No keless entry, no PSE.

I love the leather interior and am glad I didn't pay for the deviated stitching in color. The black deviated stitching looks great.

The only thing I might do differently would have been t get the keyless entry/start. I didn't realize how bulky the key is and it's a bit more hassle than I expected to fish around for the key in my pocket in order to lock/unlock the car.

PSE - does the car only crackle and burble in Sport if you have the PSE? I wasn't aware of this. Even so, I probably would still not get the PSE - I prefer my cars quiet, and either way, i don't think much of the sounds this car makes - but that's not why i bought it.

Overall very happy. Appreciate any suggestions/comments to my questions above.

And it fits very well with it's stable mate in the garage - so now I have two fun cars
Old 02-03-2019, 02:47 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 153 Posts

Great post! 20 days until I head North to pick up mine.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Great post thinc2 and nice GT silver! Must have been fun to take it on a long first drive!

Alas, I have to wait until May delivery for my agate.

Happy driving!
Old 02-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Thinc2
Pro

One last post and i'll stop hogging the thread.

I've already had two "racing" incidents.

On the way home on the highway, an old, junky car (like an old Corolla or something) pulls up alongside and two hippy looking kids (guy/gal) start indicating for me to floor it . I just laughed and waved - not ready to go over 4K rpm or get a ticket

The earlier today i took my son out for a quick drive. I pull away briskly from a stop light and accelerate pretty hard (but responsibly) up to 4K rpm going up a hill - we get to over 60mph pretty fast. All of a sudden a GTR blows by me, clearly wanting to race. Not happening...

He keeps accelerating like crazy and at one point his rear end starts to get squirrely when he goes over a bump and I wonder if he's going to lose it. At that point I was already waaay behind him (in fact I let off the gas as soon as I saw him - I'm not a racer or looking for trouble on public streets).
Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Hi agate grey 991.2 owners, Would a few folks with regular taillights and tinted taillights mind posting a photo so that I can see what the rear looks like with both options? I ordered mine last week with Porsche lettering in black (deleting model designation) and added sport tail pipes in black (not PSE). Thanks!
I decided to add the tinted taillights and also added sports side mirrors. Now time to wait 3 months.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Just about to jump in this poo...

I'm week(s) away from closing my build on the LAST 991.2 (Carrera T) allocation for the largest dealer here in town. Surely I'll get some first-world sympathy here on to calm my "pre-lock-in" woes!

I'm really stuck on which colour and interior to chose. The smaller options I'm good with. I'm building a drivers car (LWBS, PCCB, RAS, No-Sport Chrono, No BOSE etc...) with a simple leather interior with red seat belts. I can add red door pulls later for $500 without incurring the cost of the T Interior.

But does anyone have any last words of wisdom before I lock in?

Here are my latest builds:

Guards Red: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK4IUH37 REALLY starting to love this. Never owned an "Arrest me" red car before! Anyone tire of this?

White: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK7L7TQ5 LOVE the clean lines of this with the simple yellow and red accents.

TIA (Thanks in Advance).

Old 02-05-2019, 11:56 AM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Both look like great builds. Personally not a fan of the RWS and so if it were up to me I'd skip that. However, are you sure you wouldn't want a bare bones GTS over a highly option T?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Zeus, both look great and very track focused. For red, you might want to consider tinted taillights to go with the dark Porsche lettering. The white works well without the tinted.

I assume you’ve seen the colors in person. I’ve seen more white Ts and almost bought one on the lot. The white and black contrast looks aggressive. Red seems less common, though I think it was the first traditional Porsche color. Go with the heart.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
Both look like great builds. Personally not a fan of the RWS and so if it were up to me I'd skip that. However, are you sure you wouldn't want a bare bones GTS over a highly option T?
I considered that but believe it or not one of the issues we have here is addition (5%) taxation at the +$150 CND zone. The GTS all come in >$150, the T's <. I also really like the T styling package and the some of the GT bits and pieces - the LWBS, RWS, LW rear glass, door handles etc... and the fact it's got the smaller, shorter stroke-lengthy, faster-revving engine. Believe me, as I've sat in both - the T rev's noticeably faster. It's GREAT.

The RWS I have started to reconsider after reading and watching many of the reviews out there. I looks like the T doesn't really need it but It's still a pretty cool GT option.

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Zeus, both look great and very track focused. For red, you might want to consider tinted taillights to go with the dark Porsche lettering. The white works well without the tinted.

I assume you’ve seen the colors in person. I’ve seen more white Ts and almost bought one on the lot. The white and black contrast looks aggressive. Red seems less common, though I think it was the first traditional Porsche color. Go with the heart.
Sage advise my friend. My heart keeps heading back to the "arrest me red". I've not yet seen these colour as of late so I'm on a hunt to track some down. I keep going back to the white as one can add vintage decals, numbers etc... to change it up. Decisions, decisions...

And I'm more of a canyon carver, rip up the local hills, kind of driver than so much a track guy. I like the track, but enjoy the drive through the local mountains (very much like in Pete Stout's Southern France review), to the track as much as the actual track! I know, slightly odd, agreed. So my build I think will work very well for this purpose as well and ripping around the city with it's more than sh**y roads.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

My GTS, which had a 6-7 day port hold, made it to PDI-in status today. In the home stretch now.

Hopefully whatever caused the port hold will have be undetectable when I do my inspection just prior to taking delivery. If the car arrives at the dealership by Friday, it will be just about two months early - which is a little surprising, in a good way. I'm glad I ordered the winter tires to swap onto the car.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Arrived at the dealership earlier today, a little less than two months early. It's being PDI'd and prepped and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

One thing I didn't notice till just now is that the front strip under the headlight is orange, like the side markers. Not sure I've ever seen that on a 991.2. Are all the 2019's orange like that?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

I just went out to look at my 2019, they’re clear, wonder why yours are not the same
Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!