Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:51 PM
gdarrah99
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shanghai Highway entering Halifax Harbour this afternoon. Won't be long now before she's her way to the US!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:56 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I love stalking vessels
Old 11-17-2018, 07:07 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
About six week away from receiving my new C2S which is just about to hit the open ocean after sailing through the Irish Sea for the last day on Shanghai Highway and today I just sold my current DD off to a local dealership. Gone now is the 2009 Mini Cooper S Clubman, manual transmission, British Racing Green and lots of fun to drive ... I'm back to driving a 2004 Acura MDX while I wait out the remainder of the delivery period. Was hard to give up the Mini ... did a reasonable job of keeping emotions in control while doing it but it will probably hit me over the weekend as I find myself at a loss for some immediate driving pleasure.

So, back to tracking a ship to keep my mind occupied ... oh wait, its just about out of AIS range so there will be nothing to track for the better part of the next 6 days

In the end, it will definitely be all worth the over six month wait
Interesting postscript to the sale of my Mini Cooper S Clubman back to the dealer (in preparation for receiving the Porsche) ... I contacted the Mini sale associate that assisted me in the transaction to let him know that the check for the car was received and of course, I asked about the status of the Mini. Turns out that he liked it so much that he bought it for his wife.

Good to see Shanghai Highway get back on track ... let's hope it completes business quickly in Halifax.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gdarrah99
^^^ This. When PEC contacted me a couple of weeks ago, they were offering early February dates. Given that your car is a couple of weeks behind mine, you may be looking at mid-February. I cancelled. They were very good about it (no charges). The woman I spoke with mentioned that they are working with PEC LA to speed things up (more deliveries per day, more days per week, etc.). But I wasn't willing to wait.
Thanks!
When will your car arrive in the U.S & when can you now take delivery? How many weeks earlier will you get it now that you canceled PEC LA delivery?
Old 11-17-2018, 07:34 PM
KP993
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts

Four months of waiting and my GTS finally arrived at the Dealership few days ago.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:21 PM
gdarrah99
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Thanks!
When will your car arrive in the U.S & when can you now take delivery? How many weeks earlier will you get it now that you canceled PEC LA delivery?
My car is on the Shanghai Highway, which is due into Benecia on December 6. I'm guessing that I may be able to pick it up by the 15th of December. PEC LA was about 6 weeks later.

I think the pickup experience would be great, but it just seems too long. That said, if you haven't seen the Porsche exhibit at the Petersen museum, that would be a really great Porsche nerd day.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:27 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Just got back from dealer, entry to body shop is scheduled for 11/23. Not too bad since I special ordered my C2S less than 2 weeks ago. Scheduled eta is 1/11/19.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by KP993
Four months of waiting and my GTS finally arrived at the Dealership few days ago.

Beautiful car. Chalk is a wonderful color.

God bless,
TT
Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Originally Posted by gdarrah99
My car is on the Shanghai Highway, which is due into Benecia on December 6. I'm guessing that I may be able to pick it up by the 15th of December. PEC LA was about 6 weeks later.

I think the pickup experience would be great, but it just seems too long. That said, if you haven't seen the Porsche exhibit at the Petersen museum, that would be a really great Porsche nerd day.
I think if I cancel, I may be able to get my car ~ 12-17-18 vs. "Early February." Which may end up being mid February.

My original plan was to have local delivery & take a trip to PEC a couple months later. No difference in cost for the 90 minute track time. Yes, I'd lose the "free" lunch & a group of strangers pretending they are happy for me getting the car. I would see the museum (w/o a guided tour) I'd pay for simulator time, which I would pay for anyway even with PEC delivery. I'd lose glamour shots, which I assume are professional pix of my new car against scenic PEC background. I'd lose "surprises" which I assume are some free swag.

So many people raved about how great PEC delivery was, that I decided to wait the, probably, extra 4 weeks, up to 6 if I was unlucky.

With yesterday news of the longer wait, 2+ months, I'll probably cancel.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:33 AM
saundebn
Instructor

Shanghai Highway fortunately spent little time at port in Halifax and now is underway to Charleston SC for K-Line for what is likely a pick-up of US-assembled cars destined to Japan and beyond. Originally scheduled for an 11/18 arrival at Charleston, it is now showing as the early morning of 11/21 so have lost over a couple of days that we hope gets made up somehow in the next couple of weeks.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 AM
991.two
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
Shanghai Highway fortunately spent little time at port in Halifax and now is underway to Charleston SC for K-Line for what is likely a pick-up of US-assembled cars destined to Japan and beyond. Originally scheduled for an 11/18 arrival at Charleston, it is now showing as the early morning of 11/21 so have lost over a couple of days that we hope gets made up somehow in the next couple of weeks.
Can the Shanghai Highway go any faster than 14 Knots? I hope they get a tail wind on the way down to Panama and make up the lost time.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:53 AM
saundebn
Instructor

I've noticed speeds faster than 14 knots along the way and hopefully you are right in that they might make their way South at an increased pace. Unfortunately, I also know that going North from Panama can be slow and rough having experienced that on a cruise. I would expect that the original schedule presumed to take into account normal weather patterns and the impact on timing. Apparently though, the transit over the North Atlantic set us back a day and with the port in use by another ship at the time our ship arrived near Halifax, we lost another day.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:27 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

I think if I cancel, I may be able to get my car ~ 12-17-18 vs. "Early February." Which may end up being mid February.......
......With yesterday news of the longer wait, 2+ months, I'll probably cancel.
I think I may be stuck with PEC delivery & a much longer wait than I had been told.
Normal cars delivered in Phoenix, AZ go to San Diego Port & then are trucked to Phoenix. Cars going to PEC LA that are for non - CA customers, like me, go to Houston Port.
If my car is getting on a ship this weekend, it probably will be the "Goodwood." It may be on that ship now. (November 17-19) Scheduled to arrive Houston December 10th where my car will probably sit outside for 2 months b4 it goes to PEC LA.

If I cancel, my car will still get off the ship @ Houston bc that ship has no more stops in the U.S.

My above estimate of how long between U.S. port & local dealer delivery was based on my last Porsche, which was trucked from San Diego port in less than 1 week. But, that was 400 miles.
If I cancel, PCNA will need to make special arrangements to truck from Houston to Phoenix which is 1,176 miles! A much longer drive. Plus since unlike San Diego port, there probably are not car transport trucks routinely making that trip, since Porsche & other European cars are offloaded in San Diego for the trip to Phoenix. Who knows how long my car would sit @ Houston waiting for a truck to Phoenix? Also, would this be open transport? Greater chance of damage? Maybe PCNA would not charge me a cancellation fee but may charge me the cost of rerouting the car?

So to avoid waiting for an early to mid-February PEC LA delivery, I may end up with Local Phoenix delivery... not much sooner.

I'll talk to them but, I think I'm screwed for time either way, since they failed to disclose the actual projected extra delay when opt for PEC LA delivery.

I wonder why they do this? Every customer that has canceled PEC once they reveal the actual delay... is unhappy. What do they gain by misleading estimates?

Are they just trying to drum up more visits to PEC & figure that if ½ or more cancel, they still have more people going to PEC vs. if they were honest about the actual delay?

In business & in life, it is better to underpromise & overdeliver, not the reverse!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

I think I may be stuck with PEC delivery & a much longer wait than I had been told.
Normal cars delivered in Phoenix, AZ go to San Diego Port & then are trucked to Phoenix. Cars going to PEC LA that are for non - CA customers, like me, go to Houston Port.
If my car is getting on a ship this weekend, it probably will be the "Goodwood." It may be on that ship now. (November 17-19) Scheduled to arrive Houston December 10th where my car will probably sit outside for 2 months b4 it goes to PEC LA.

If I cancel, my car will still get off the ship @ Houston bc that ship has no more stops in the U.S.

My above estimate of how long between U.S. port & local dealer delivery was based on my last Porsche, which was trucked from San Diego port in less than 1 week. But, that was 400 miles.
If I cancel, PCNA will need to make special arrangements to truck from Houston to Phoenix which is 1,176 miles! A much longer drive. Plus since unlike San Diego port, there probably are not car transport trucks routinely making that trip, since Porsche & other European cars are offloaded in San Diego for the trip to Phoenix. Who knows how long my car would sit @ Houston waiting for a truck to Phoenix? Also, would this be open transport? Greater chance of damage? Maybe PCNA would not charge me a cancellation fee but may charge me the cost of rerouting the car?

So to avoid waiting for an early to mid-February PEC LA delivery, I may end up with Local Phoenix delivery... not much sooner.

I'll talk to them but, I think I'm screwed for time either way, since they failed to disclose the actual projected extra delay when opt for PEC LA delivery.

I wonder why they do this? Every customer that has canceled PEC once they reveal the actual delay... is unhappy. What do they gain by misleading estimates?

Are they just trying to drum up more visits to PEC & figure that if ½ or more cancel, they still have more people going to PEC vs. if they were honest about the actual delay?

In business & in life, it is better to underpromise & overdeliver, not the reverse!
Amen to that! So sorry for this problem. I hope it won't diminish your enjoyment of your new 911.

God bless,
TT
Old 11-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

PEC is very popular and they are very few cancelations, and almost everyone that goes has a great experience and learns quite a bit about the type of car they are buying. They are actually working on being able to allow more people to do it sooner since they realize people want their cars ASAP. If I were you I would wait it out and in the long run you will have your car and be happy that you decided to stick with the plan!

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!