Sponsored by:

Reserve your 991 DSC module

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Any word on AWD use? And in particular 991 Turbos?
note that the product pages do not specify particular variants of the 991 2/4WD or N.A vs Turbo...

I see no reason why you cannot install the DSC on any of the 991 variants, particularly the 4WD NA cars, the only issue per see is the applicability of the
OOTB maps for each variant, I'd expect that the default maps are fine for the
4/S Carreras but it might not be optimal for TT applications (yet) due to the
differing spring rates etc...
Old 02-16-2016, 02:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
We're generally so busy with all the road racing we do that we don't often get a chance to do straight line days.

However, one of our dealers, Protuning Freaks, specialize in straight line performance and have reported back with very positive reviews of the DSC controller.

You can find a quick post they put up a few months back here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...l#post12560714

They're a really great group of guys; if you'd like more details on their experience with DSC I'm sure they would be more than happy to speak with you.
they said "good results" but did not quantify...
Old 02-16-2016, 04:36 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Regarding the DSC's compatibility with AWD vehicles...

First, your OEM PASM module does vary slightly by vehicle model. However, this is mostly because the values for PASM on the 9x7 platform were more or less fixed rates at one-channel command. As a result, like tuning manually adjustable shocks at a static value, there were some minor differences in calibrations between models. Let's keep in mind that these are minor differences, as well.

What we need to bare in mind, however, is that DSC is fully dynamic. In such a fully dynamic system with 4-channel commands, one calibration for DSC can provide the optimum damping value to the individual corner of the car to react to the physical forces that the car is subjected to and predict based on the driver's inputs. For us, the tuning is focused on the vehicle's dynamic weight distribution management rather than static configuration. We do offer free DSC tuning software should you want to makes custom changes. Also keep in mind, that shock damping is only one aspect of chassis tuning; adjustable sway bars, suspension geometry changes, differential setup, changing tire sizes and compound, and aero all comes into effect. We feel that for what little DSC cost and how easy it is to install, compared to other mods, DSC is a tremendous performance value with powerful (and free) user tune-able software. There are rave reviews from hundreds of users; rear-engine, to mid-engine, to front-engine, to RWD, to AWD, from 300hp to 800+hp. Management of dynamic weight distribution is what we do. The rest is up to you.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

First, your OEM PASM module does vary slightly by vehicle model. However, this is mostly because the values for PASM on the 9x7 platform were more or less fixed rates at one-channel command. As a result, like tuning manually adjustable shocks at a static value, there were some minor differences in calibrations between models. Let's keep in mind that these are minor differences, as well.

What we need to bare in mind, however, is that DSC is fully dynamic. In such a fully dynamic system with 4-channel commands, one calibration for DSC can provide the optimum damping value to the individual corner of the car to react to the physical forces that the car is subjected to and predict based on the driver's inputs. For us, the tuning is focused on the vehicle's dynamic weight distribution management rather than static configuration. We do offer free DSC tuning software should you want to makes custom changes. Also keep in mind, that shock damping is only one aspect of chassis tuning; adjustable sway bars, suspension geometry changes, differential setup, changing tire sizes and compound, and aero all comes into effect. We feel that for what little DSC cost and how easy it is to install, compared to other mods, DSC is a tremendous performance value with powerful (and free) user tune-able software. There are rave reviews from hundreds of users; rear-engine, to mid-engine, to front-engine, to RWD, to AWD, from 300hp to 800+hp. Management of dynamic weight distribution is what we do. The rest is up to you.
well said +1!
Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My car does feel a bit quicker in a straight line with the DSC, but then again it did with the Fabspeed headers so I'm going to rule myself out of the jury on this one!

Larry - I wonder if the differerent change from stock we feel in normal mode might be because my car has PDCC and yours doesn't? I pretty much leave it in sport mode all the time now anyway. Might see about getting normal mode recalibrated to some super-soft limo setup for easing Mrs Rat's nerves...
Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
My car does feel a bit quicker in a straight line with the DSC, but then again it did with the Fabspeed headers so I'm going to rule myself out of the jury on this one!

Larry - I wonder if the differerent change from stock we feel in normal mode might be because my car has PDCC and yours doesn't?
it might be, although the impact of PDCC vs a regular ARB/swaybar should not really impact the compliance of the PASM w/DSC AFIAK

I pretty much leave it in sport mode all the time now anyway. Might see about getting normal mode recalibrated to some super-soft limo setup for easing Mrs Rat's nerves...
it already is...
Old 02-16-2016, 06:36 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it might be, although the impact of PDCC vs a regular ARB/swaybar should not really impact the compliance of the PASM w/DSC AFIAK

it already is...

Not a suspension expert so will take your word for it. My understanding was that PDCC softened the car a bit when one is taking it easy, so something that made the suspension feel firmer for me might have made it softer for you.

I'll tell her.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Not a suspension expert so will take your word for it. My understanding was that PDCC softened the car a bit when one is taking it easy, so something that made the suspension feel firmer for me might have made it softer for you.

I'll tell her.
PDCC "discconnects" the ARBs/Swaybars when you are driving in a straight line, and also dynamically adjusts their "stiffness" (fnar fnar) when in corners, the overall efffect is to give you the best of both worlds, a softer ride in a straight line and flatter cornering ...
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

... is that DSC is fully dynamic. In such a fully dynamic system with ...
Multiple choice:

a) I'm going to take that as a 'yes' the DSC will work in my 991 Turbo and that I should expect the same performance changes described herein for NA 991s. (This, assuming my buttometer is similarly calibrated to those reporting said changes.)

b) Larry and I won't find platform-specific magic numbers in your source code (This in the ludicrous case where we'd get the code.)

c) I respect the ability to play with the maps. But, I most-definitely am not interested in that for the foreseeable future. I have enough 'fun' developing and evolving maps on my other projects. So, fire-and-forget is what I want.

d) All of the above?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, the DSC will work great with the Turbo; we have many customers with the set up on their Turbos with nothing but positive feedback. Also, DSC is a true Plug N Play. 9 out of 10 customers do not feel the need to make any changes in the software; more probably do because they find it interesting and fun, but not necessary. Also, if somebody has a certain characteristic about the DSC they don't like, I usually try to make myself available to make some quick changes for them or offer simple steps to make that change themselves.

- Jordan

Originally Posted by worf928
Multiple choice:

a) I'm going to take that as a 'yes' the DSC will work in my 991 Turbo and that I should expect the same performance changes described herein for NA 991s. (This, assuming my buttometer is similarly calibrated to those reporting said changes.)

b) Larry and I won't find platform-specific magic numbers in your source code (This in the ludicrous case where we'd get the code.)

c) I respect the ability to play with the maps. But, I most-definitely am not interested in that for the foreseeable future. I have enough 'fun' developing and evolving maps on my other projects. So, fire-and-forget is what I want.

d) All of the above?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yes, the DSC will work great with the Turbo; we have many customers with the set up on their Turbos with nothing but positive feedback. Also, DSC is a true Plug N Play. 9 out of 10 customers do not feel the need to make any changes in the software; more probably do because they find it interesting and fun, but not necessary. Also, if somebody has a certain characteristic about the DSC they don't like, I usually try to make myself available to make some quick changes for them or offer simple steps to make that change themselves.

- Jordan
I forgot that the DSC was originally developed on 997 turbos wasn't it?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I forgot that the DSC was originally developed on 997 turbos wasn't it?
There were a handful of original development cars, but yes the 997 Turbo played a large role in development.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

There were a handful of original development cars, but yes the 997 Turbo played a large role in development.
that's what I thought I recalled, before the GT3 community discovered and "fell in love" with the DSC!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:01 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Larry - I wonder if the differerent change from stock we feel in normal mode might be because my car has PDCC and yours doesn't? I pretty much leave it in sport mode all the time now anyway. Might see about getting normal mode recalibrated to some super-soft limo setup for easing Mrs Rat's nerves...
We can't speak for whether or not the Fabspeed headers provide more power, BUT we can say with confidence that DSC (and Tractive DDA as well) do help put the power down in straight line applications.

You can check out this video below. One of the guys at Viper Exchange, Andy, who owns a gen V Viper and is pretty into drag racing just set a world record: first factory displacement NA Viper to break into the 9's. He did it using Viper Exchange's heads and CAM package for power and DSC/Tractive DDA as a suspension package. He also noted that two other cars of theirs without the DSC/DDA set up broke axles and had to end their days early due to violent wheel hop.

His words on the suspension setup: "I can't say enough about our ViperExchange Dynamic Suspension Package that I have on the car. No wheel hop ever, the car hooks, and goes dead straight pass after pass, and is even better on the road course."

Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Yes, the DSC will work great with the Turbo;
Awesome! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module