Reserve your 991 DSC module - Page 7 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Reserve your 991 DSC module

Old 01-14-2016, 06:17 PM
  #91  
stratocaster69
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by DSC Sport View Post
Admittedly, the nomenclature we've been using to designate controller type and firmware version is a little confusing.

The V1 controller refers to the 9x7 Plug N Play unit. The V2 is the 9x1 controller featuring velocity tuning and dynamic motor mount control.

Whether or not it uses the 3-mode blink sequence or 2-mode factory-like "normal" and "sport" indicators depends on the firmware. Both 2-mode and 3-mode firmware are available. We encourage people to update to the 2-mode firmware, as it is a superior tuning strategy and that way everybody is on the same firmware.

However, for those that feel they are losing something by switching to two, instead of three, modes we will still offer the 3-mode version
Thanks DSC. Learning more and more all the time (:
stratocaster69 is offline  
Old 01-15-2016, 03:26 PM
  #92  
plenum
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
plenum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chalfont, PA
Posts: 743
Default

Hey guys- Not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread... if so, sorry for repeating. My question is about AWD cars and DSC. Are there any differences in behavior or feel that occurs with installing DSC into a 4/4S? Does the DSC need to be tuned at all to not interfere with the AWD system? I am guessing the answer is "no." But I have no direct experience with the product....

Anyone have an install completed in real world on a AWD car?

Thanks!
plenum is offline  
Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 PM
  #93  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,944
Default

Originally Posted by plenum View Post
Hey guys- Not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread... if so, sorry for repeating. My question is about AWD cars and DSC. Are there any differences in behavior or feel that occurs with installing DSC into a 4/4S? Does the DSC need to be tuned at all to not interfere with the AWD system? I am guessing the answer is "no." But I have no direct experience with the product....

Anyone have an install completed in real world on a AWD car?

Thanks!
I'm going to hazard an informed guess, "no", with the caveat that 4WD handles differently in corners than 2WD so it might "benefit" from tuned maps...
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 01-19-2016, 01:34 PM
  #94  
drgek
User
 
drgek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 184
Default

sorry, wrong forum

Last edited by drgek; 01-19-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wrong forum
drgek is offline  
Old 02-06-2016, 06:45 AM
  #95  
MagicRat
User
 
MagicRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Posts: 798
Default

So looks like I'm the latest to join the DSC train. Had the module installed yesterday by the nice people at Parr Motorsports in Crawley. I have to say - wow, what an extraordinary thing it is. The car feels absolutely glued to the road now, and even more so in sport mode (which is now comfortable enough to use all day).

The main difference I've noticed is on turn-in. I used to feel I had to trail brake to get the nose to bite how I wanted it to, but now it turns in on steady throttle like it's a mid-engined car, and still has the rear-engined grip coming out. A tiny bit of me had always found the handling of my old Boxster more intuitive than the GTS's, but not any more. Also, the steering seems to weight up better mid-corner and give more feedback.

There's a lot more feel in general, yet bumps seem to upset the car less. I should say that I have PDCC, so some of the improvement might be because the DSC system starts working before the PDCC bars would be felt. I like the comfort of PDCC, and the flat feel if I really chuck the car about, but I felt there was always something slightly unknowable about it - like I wasn't completely sure how much grip there was (but since this was always 'loads' it wasn't too much of a problem!). Now I fel I know exactly what's happening with all four contact patches.

Re this, the only slight negative I've noticed is some more vibration when going in a straight line. One can really feel the road surface, but maybe one doesn't always want to? Parr said they thought this was because of the dynamic engine mounts' having been stiffened, and that we could dial it back, but some of the tautness in bends might be lost. I'm going to live with it for a bit and see how it is.

Any more thoughts on this appreciated. My main thought is that everyone who's serious about going fast should look into this thing. Hard to believe Porsche left so much on the table suspension-wise. I guess maybe there are going to be little 'enhancements' done every year for a while without anyone having to do anything expensive like design a new shock. Nice to have the fast-foward option anyway!
MagicRat is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 06:24 AM
  #96  
drsubie
User
 
drsubie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Default

Just upgraded mine, it went on a 2015 GTS without PDCC...

so just to make clear, there are 2 modes, "normal" and "sport", which is activated via the suspension/shock button on the central console?

what does the 3rd mode offer on the '3 mode' version?

Originally Posted by DSC Sport View Post
Admittedly, the nomenclature we've been using to designate controller type and firmware version is a little confusing.

The V1 controller refers to the 9x7 Plug N Play unit. The V2 is the 9x1 controller featuring velocity tuning and dynamic motor mount control.

Whether or not it uses the 3-mode blink sequence or 2-mode factory-like "normal" and "sport" indicators depends on the firmware. Both 2-mode and 3-mode firmware are available. We encourage people to update to the 2-mode firmware, as it is a superior tuning strategy and that way everybody is on the same firmware.

However, for those that feel they are losing something by switching to two, instead of three, modes we will still offer the 3-mode version
drsubie is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 AM
  #97  
MagicRat
User
 
MagicRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Posts: 798
Default

Just had mine out for a spin. It now corners at over 1g with no tyre noise whatsoever, so more to come!

Ride does feel firmer in normal mode, but it feels like a plush sort of firm if that makes any sense...
MagicRat is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 AM
  #98  
MagicRat
User
 
MagicRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Posts: 798
Default

Just had mine out for a spin. It now corners at over 1g with no tyre noise whatsoever, so more to come!

Ride does feel firmer in normal mode, but it feels like a plush sort of firm if that makes any sense...
MagicRat is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM
  #99  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,944
Default

Originally Posted by drsubie View Post
Just upgraded mine, it went on a 2015 GTS without PDCC...

so just to make clear, there are 2 modes, "normal" and "sport", which is activated via the suspension/shock button on the central console?

what does the 3rd mode offer on the '3 mode' version?
it adds another suspension map, so you could have normal, sport, and track for example
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 PM
  #100  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,944
Default

Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
Just had mine out for a spin. It now corners at over 1g with no tyre noise whatsoever, so more to come!

Ride does feel firmer in normal mode, but it feels like a plush sort of firm if that makes any sense...
interesting you say that; I find the normal map noticeably more compliant than the OEM normal mode, to the extent I think its a little too soft, but I like the
sport mode which seems to me to be slightly more aggressive than OEM
normal, OEM sport being effectively useless on the street...
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:33 PM
  #101  
Vise
User
 
Vise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,372
Default

Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
interesting you say that; I find the normal map noticeably more compliant than the OEM normal mode, to the extent I think its a little too soft, but I like the
sport mode which seems to me to be slightly more aggressive than OEM
normal, OEM sport being effectively useless on the street...
I'm interested in the DSC V2, might need to wait until all of my other coming mods are dealt with but we'll see. Thanks for helping me part with my money Larry.

Question though, how do you activate the third mode if the current button only allows for Normal + Sport? It looks like DSC recommends the 2 mode option but just wondering.

Also one more, once installed how often would you need to update the software on the DSC unit? Is it worthwhile to keep a USB cable plugged in and tucked under the carpet somewhere?
Vise is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 PM
  #102  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 16,944
Default

Originally Posted by Vise View Post
I'm interested in the DSC V2, might need to wait until all of my other coming mods are dealt with but we'll see. Thanks for helping me part with my money Larry.
you are most welcome!

Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Question though, how do you activate the third mode if the current button only allows for Normal + Sport? It looks like DSC recommends the 2 mode option but just wondering.
the original firmware for the 9x7 controller allowed you to cycle thru all three modes by repeatedly pressing the PASM button on the dash, flashing the led
therein to identify which mode you were in.

I believe that the v2 DSC for the 9x1 cars is currently 2-mode only - problem solved.

Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Also one more, once installed how often would you need to update the software on the DSC unit? Is it worthwhile to keep a USB cable plugged in and tucked under the carpet somewhere?
well ... if this were the 9x7 GT3 forum I would say never, as the maps for that are pretty mature...

for the 9x1 cars, I think that the maps will evolve over time, so I would keep
a USB plugged in and concealed so that you can update with ease... I'm not
100% happy with the 'normal' mode on my GTS so I am thinking I might
tinker with it over time.

Also, if you were an avid track driver at various tracks, if you were serious
you could tune your 'sport' map for each individual track ...
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 02:31 PM
  #103  
R_Rated
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Where aspirations are natural
Posts: 4,390
Default

Strictly out of curiosity - have you done a launch controled 0-60 in a C2s with and without this mod when you were bench testing? I'm curious to what the results of this would be since the name of the game is traction.
R_Rated is offline  
Old 02-08-2016, 04:05 PM
  #104  
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
DSC Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jessup, MD
Posts: 395
Default

Originally Posted by R_Rated View Post
Strictly out of curiosity - have you done a launch controled 0-60 in a C2s with and without this mod when you were bench testing? I'm curious to what the results of this would be since the name of the game is traction.
We're generally so busy with all the road racing we do that we don't often get a chance to do straight line days.

However, one of our dealers, Protuning Freaks, specialize in straight line performance and have reported back with very positive reviews of the DSC controller.

You can find a quick post they put up a few months back here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...l#post12560714

They're a really great group of guys; if you'd like more details on their experience with DSC I'm sure they would be more than happy to speak with you.
DSC Sport is offline  
Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 AM
  #105  
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
worf928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 11,340
Default

Any word on AWD use? And in particular 991 Turbos?
worf928 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: