Sponsored by:

Reserve your 991 DSC module

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:17 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Admittedly, the nomenclature we've been using to designate controller type and firmware version is a little confusing.

The V1 controller refers to the 9x7 Plug N Play unit. The V2 is the 9x1 controller featuring velocity tuning and dynamic motor mount control.

Whether or not it uses the 3-mode blink sequence or 2-mode factory-like "normal" and "sport" indicators depends on the firmware. Both 2-mode and 3-mode firmware are available. We encourage people to update to the 2-mode firmware, as it is a superior tuning strategy and that way everybody is on the same firmware.

However, for those that feel they are losing something by switching to two, instead of three, modes we will still offer the 3-mode version
Thanks DSC. Learning more and more all the time (:
Old 01-15-2016, 02:26 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey guys- Not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread... if so, sorry for repeating. My question is about AWD cars and DSC. Are there any differences in behavior or feel that occurs with installing DSC into a 4/4S? Does the DSC need to be tuned at all to not interfere with the AWD system? I am guessing the answer is "no." But I have no direct experience with the product....

Anyone have an install completed in real world on a AWD car?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Hey guys- Not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread... if so, sorry for repeating. My question is about AWD cars and DSC. Are there any differences in behavior or feel that occurs with installing DSC into a 4/4S? Does the DSC need to be tuned at all to not interfere with the AWD system? I am guessing the answer is "no." But I have no direct experience with the product....

Anyone have an install completed in real world on a AWD car?

Thanks!
I'm going to hazard an informed guess, "no", with the caveat that 4WD handles differently in corners than 2WD so it might "benefit" from tuned maps...
Old 01-19-2016, 12:34 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

sorry, wrong forum

Last edited by drgek; 01-19-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 02-06-2016, 05:45 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So looks like I'm the latest to join the DSC train. Had the module installed yesterday by the nice people at Parr Motorsports in Crawley. I have to say - wow, what an extraordinary thing it is. The car feels absolutely glued to the road now, and even more so in sport mode (which is now comfortable enough to use all day).

The main difference I've noticed is on turn-in. I used to feel I had to trail brake to get the nose to bite how I wanted it to, but now it turns in on steady throttle like it's a mid-engined car, and still has the rear-engined grip coming out. A tiny bit of me had always found the handling of my old Boxster more intuitive than the GTS's, but not any more. Also, the steering seems to weight up better mid-corner and give more feedback.

There's a lot more feel in general, yet bumps seem to upset the car less. I should say that I have PDCC, so some of the improvement might be because the DSC system starts working before the PDCC bars would be felt. I like the comfort of PDCC, and the flat feel if I really chuck the car about, but I felt there was always something slightly unknowable about it - like I wasn't completely sure how much grip there was (but since this was always 'loads' it wasn't too much of a problem!). Now I fel I know exactly what's happening with all four contact patches.

Re this, the only slight negative I've noticed is some more vibration when going in a straight line. One can really feel the road surface, but maybe one doesn't always want to? Parr said they thought this was because of the dynamic engine mounts' having been stiffened, and that we could dial it back, but some of the tautness in bends might be lost. I'm going to live with it for a bit and see how it is.

Any more thoughts on this appreciated. My main thought is that everyone who's serious about going fast should look into this thing. Hard to believe Porsche left so much on the table suspension-wise. I guess maybe there are going to be little 'enhancements' done every year for a while without anyone having to do anything expensive like design a new shock. Nice to have the fast-foward option anyway!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:24 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just upgraded mine, it went on a 2015 GTS without PDCC...

so just to make clear, there are 2 modes, "normal" and "sport", which is activated via the suspension/shock button on the central console?

what does the 3rd mode offer on the '3 mode' version?

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Admittedly, the nomenclature we've been using to designate controller type and firmware version is a little confusing.

The V1 controller refers to the 9x7 Plug N Play unit. The V2 is the 9x1 controller featuring velocity tuning and dynamic motor mount control.

Whether or not it uses the 3-mode blink sequence or 2-mode factory-like "normal" and "sport" indicators depends on the firmware. Both 2-mode and 3-mode firmware are available. We encourage people to update to the 2-mode firmware, as it is a superior tuning strategy and that way everybody is on the same firmware.

However, for those that feel they are losing something by switching to two, instead of three, modes we will still offer the 3-mode version
Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Just had mine out for a spin. It now corners at over 1g with no tyre noise whatsoever, so more to come!

Ride does feel firmer in normal mode, but it feels like a plush sort of firm if that makes any sense...
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Just had mine out for a spin. It now corners at over 1g with no tyre noise whatsoever, so more to come!

Ride does feel firmer in normal mode, but it feels like a plush sort of firm if that makes any sense...
Old 02-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drsubie
Just upgraded mine, it went on a 2015 GTS without PDCC...

so just to make clear, there are 2 modes, "normal" and "sport", which is activated via the suspension/shock button on the central console?

what does the 3rd mode offer on the '3 mode' version?
it adds another suspension map, so you could have normal, sport, and track for example
Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat

interesting you say that; I find the normal map noticeably more compliant than the OEM normal mode, to the extent I think its a little too soft, but I like the
sport mode which seems to me to be slightly more aggressive than OEM
normal, OEM sport being effectively useless on the street...
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
interesting you say that; I find the normal map noticeably more compliant than the OEM normal mode, to the extent I think its a little too soft, but I like the
sport mode which seems to me to be slightly more aggressive than OEM
normal, OEM sport being effectively useless on the street...
I'm interested in the DSC V2, might need to wait until all of my other coming mods are dealt with but we'll see. Thanks for helping me part with my money Larry.

Question though, how do you activate the third mode if the current button only allows for Normal + Sport? It looks like DSC recommends the 2 mode option but just wondering.

Also one more, once installed how often would you need to update the software on the DSC unit? Is it worthwhile to keep a USB cable plugged in and tucked under the carpet somewhere?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
I'm interested in the DSC V2, might need to wait until all of my other coming mods are dealt with but we'll see. Thanks for helping me part with my money Larry.
you are most welcome!

Question though, how do you activate the third mode if the current button only allows for Normal + Sport? It looks like DSC recommends the 2 mode option but just wondering.
the original firmware for the 9x7 controller allowed you to cycle thru all three modes by repeatedly pressing the PASM button on the dash, flashing the led
therein to identify which mode you were in.

I believe that the v2 DSC for the 9x1 cars is currently 2-mode only - problem solved.

Also one more, once installed how often would you need to update the software on the DSC unit? Is it worthwhile to keep a USB cable plugged in and tucked under the carpet somewhere?
well ... if this were the 9x7 GT3 forum I would say never, as the maps for that are pretty mature...

for the 9x1 cars, I think that the maps will evolve over time, so I would keep
a USB plugged in and concealed so that you can update with ease... I'm not
100% happy with the 'normal' mode on my GTS so I am thinking I might
tinker with it over time.

Also, if you were an avid track driver at various tracks, if you were serious
you could tune your 'sport' map for each individual track ...
Old 02-08-2016, 01:31 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Strictly out of curiosity - have you done a launch controled 0-60 in a C2s with and without this mod when you were bench testing? I'm curious to what the results of this would be since the name of the game is traction.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:05 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Strictly out of curiosity - have you done a launch controled 0-60 in a C2s with and without this mod when you were bench testing? I'm curious to what the results of this would be since the name of the game is traction.
We're generally so busy with all the road racing we do that we don't often get a chance to do straight line days.

However, one of our dealers, Protuning Freaks, specialize in straight line performance and have reported back with very positive reviews of the DSC controller.

You can find a quick post they put up a few months back here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...l#post12560714

They're a really great group of guys; if you'd like more details on their experience with DSC I'm sure they would be more than happy to speak with you.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Any word on AWD use? And in particular 991 Turbos?

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module