Sponsored by:

991.2 9A2 engine vs 9A1 technical analysis

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 02:53 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

Certainly there will be more area under the curve. There will also be significant turbo lag to offset this. Neither changes my overall conclusion.
As it is often the case of these online "technical discussion", one is confusing boost threshold with actual turbo lag. As it is stated in the C&D article, lags are only noticeable if you are lugging the engine at low rpms, where the engine doesn't generate enough exhaust gas volume to spool up the turbine quickly enough. So your own conclusion isn't correct.

If you are driving the car at +5000rpms, like you would with 9A1 engine under spirited condition, the turbo lag will be virtually nonexistent. Test it out yourself with any modern performance turbocharged engine, if you don't believe me... In all honesty, the drive-by-wire throttle in these modern cars will probably cause more throttle lag...
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-13-2015, 03:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
As it is often the case of these online "technical discussion", one is confusing boost threshold with actual turbo lag. As it is stated in the C&D article, lags are only noticeable if you are lugging the engine at low rpms, where the engine doesn't generate enough exhaust gas volume to spool up the turbine quickly enough. So your own conclusion isn't correct.

If you are driving the car at +5000rpms, like you would with 9A1 engine under spirited condition, the turbo lag will be virtually nonexistent. Test it out yourself with any modern performance turbocharged engine, if you don't believe me...
Quote from the C&D article: "... Under intense questioning, one of the Porsche engineers admitted that at 1800 rpm, the engine needs three full seconds to produce full torque from a closed throttle. Though he was quick to add that the turbo lag dropped to two seconds at 2000 rpm and only one second at 2300. "

2000 RPM is not really lugging the engine, is it? So here I am driving behind a slow poke at a reasonable 2000RPM in 5th gear at 60MPH (or thereabouts), find an opportunity to pass but I have to take it quickly... and I am confronted with a full 2 sec turbo lag... is that OK?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

If you are driving the car at +5000rpms, like you would with 9A1 engine under spirited condition, the turbo lag will be virtually nonexistent. Test it out yourself with any modern performance turbocharged engine, if you don't believe me... In all honesty, the drive-by-wire throttle in these modern cars will probably cause more throttle lag...
No, I mean lag.
Read here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12574787
Old 09-13-2015, 03:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Duplicate (deleted)

Last edited by GSIRM3; 09-13-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:21 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Quote from the C&D article: "... Under intense questioning, one of the Porsche engineers admitted that at 1800 rpm, the engine needs three full seconds to produce full torque from a closed throttle. Though he was quick to add that the turbo lag dropped to two seconds at 2000 rpm and only one second at 2300. "

2000 RPM is not really lugging the engine, is it? So here I am driving behind a slow poke at a reasonable 2000RPM in 5th gear at 60MPH (or thereabouts), find an opportunity to pass but I have to take it quickly... and I am confronted with a full 2 sec turbo lag... is that OK?
How much power does the current car generate at that rpm range? A lot less if you bother to do the math. For a car with +7000rpm redline, 2000-3000rpm is low. As you guys said it yourself on this thread, these aren't high way GT cruiser (get a Corvette if you want more grunt from the engine...). These flat 6 deserved to be revved, whether in NA or turbo form. You simply can't expect these engine to perform well when at those rpm range.

So, what you are saying turbo engines require a different driving style, well yes! And you are comparing a 991.1 Turbo, which is more heavily turbocharged than 991.2 C2S judging by its boost pressure and turbo dimension alone. So a bit more lag comparing to a high stun NA engine like the GT3 is expected.

Also, your article makes no mentioning of the tire used in the Turbo, which I expect is just the stock P-zero comparing to the stock Sport Cup 2 on the GT3. That will no doubt heavily undermine the chassis response and ability to put down the power on the Turbo. This is again which is why I take these reviews with a grain of salt.

Have a look at the recent EVO lap video of GT3RS and that of Turbo S from a few months ago at the track, GT3RS is noticeably harder to drive despite its NA engine and lack of so called turbo lags and non-linear power delivery. They both put down the same laptime despite the huge tire and weight advantage that RS enjoys over the Turbo S.

All in all, I can't change biased opinion over the internet. But hopefully, someone with a more open mind and some decent technical understanding will find my posts useful and refreshing to read in this sea of non-sense.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Duplicate
Why don't you just go and test drive a M4 yourself? Or better yet, wait for the 991.2 to arrive next year and try it out yourself. Not sure how exactly you expect me to "duplicate" when these cars aren't even being sold yet.

Or maybe, just enjoy your current car as it is, instead of spending so much time on discussing cars that doesn't even interest you nor plan to own...
Old 09-13-2015, 03:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

... These flat 6 deserved to be revved, whether in NA or turbo form. You simply can't expect these engine to perform well when at those [2000 RPM] rpm range. .
I beg to differ that 2k RPM is an improper range for typical highway driving. For most of us to get to the good driving bits we need to drive highway miles with heavy traffic and you do not do that at 5k RPM.

But... I agree with you that these engines love to rev and many of us run them at higher regimes. And there lies the irony of turbocharging gas savings when the engine is run at high revs.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:41 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

I beg to differ that 2k RPM is an improper range for typical highway driving. For most of us to get to the good driving bits we need to drive highway miles with heavy traffic and you do not do that at 5k RPM.

But... I agree with you that these engines love to rev and many of us run them at higher regimes. And there lies the irony of turbocharging gas savings when the engine is run at high revs.
There you go. Porsche pretty much done the impossible, lowering the emission and while preserving the top end response of their flat-six. I don't know what else you could ask for with the exceptions of hybrid technology and perhaps electric turbo (or supercharger to be technically correct) that will remove any sort of lag all together. But I don't think the cost and reliability of those things are ready until the next gen 992.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

There you go. Porsche pretty much done the impossible, lowering the emission and while preserving the top end response of their flat-six. I don't know what else you could ask for with the exceptions of hybrid technology and perhaps electric turbo (or supercharger to be technically correct) that will remove any sort of lag all together. But I don't think the cost and reliability of those things are ready until the next gen 992.
I guess you do not see the irony of the lack of gas savings (in real world terms) of the whole turbocharging movement.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:47 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

I guess you do not see the irony of the lack of gas savings (in real world terms) of the whole turbocharging movement.
We already had a pretty "epic" debate of this a month ago in another thread...

To sum it down...
More power requires more consumption, there is no magic in that. But at your average cruising speed and with a sane and legal driving style, these engines will be no doubt more efficient than the last gen. But if you are doing triple digit on the highway, (lol hope you got a decent radar detector and the Waze app opened) and going full throttle to pass every car you see. Well, you should expect anything other than terrible gas mileage. It is the same thing as you would still get low 20mpg when you drive the **** out of a Pruis that rated for +40-50mpg.

Don't really see the irony in that
Old 09-13-2015, 03:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default 991.2 9A2 engine vs 9A1 technical analysis

Back to square one ....
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

So, what you are saying turbo engines require a different driving style, well yes!
No, what I'm saying is that even the best turbo engines in the world, of which the 991 turbo is one, have lag. And that lag, even properly driven, has a cost. Normal aspiration vs turbo that cost was 2 feet on that day, as measured by one of the best drivers in the world.

Nothing to do with tires, gt3 vs turbo, etc. Turbo vs NA.

We get it, you like your turbo. But for many of us turbos do have a downside. Which is why many future GT cars will stick with normal aspiration. You can minimize lag, you can say it doesn't bother you, but it does exist.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

No, what I'm saying is that even the best turbo engines in the world, of which the 991 turbo is one, have lag. And that lag, even properly driven, has a cost. Normal aspiration vs turbo that cost was 2 feet on that day, as measured by one of the best drivers in the world.

We get it, you like your turbo. But for many of us turbos do have a downside. Which is why many future GT cars will stick with normal aspiration. You can minimize lag, you can say it doesn't bother you, but it does exist.
Well, I guess I like my turbo, while you like your NA. I think we will just have to leave it at that.

Each engine configuration has its trade off, there is no doubt about that. But for a modern +3000lbs sports car that I can fit an adult passenger andtwo kids and still be able to drive to the grocery store, my personal opinion, for whatever that is worth, is that it benefits more from than increase in power than the marginal increase in throttle response.

For those, who haven't made up their mind. I suggest have a look of these two videos. Both cars costs the same roughly (assuming you can still get a RS), it is really just a pick between a focused weekend track toy and DD that you can enjoy in any situation. I personally go for the more usable Turbo that I can enjoy everywhere I go.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 09-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Well, I guess I like my turbo, while you like your NA.
I actually own and enjoy both. I just try to be objective about the pros and cons of each, which is what I tried to do here.

Quick Reply: 991.2 9A2 engine vs 9A1 technical analysis