Sponsored by:

Sport Plus at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:53 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I've been doing the opposite for years. Toe on the brake, heel on the gas pedal. Have to try the other way?
Think you misunderstood him. You are correct. Toe on brake. Heel to gas.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I actually use my toe for the accelerator and the brake by splitting my foot on the edge of the brake and accelerator. Traditionally the heel is used for the accelerator though. Don't think it's a problem either way as long as the outcome is the same.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I actually use my toe for the accelerator and the brake by splitting my foot on the edge of the brake and accelerator. Traditionally the heel is used for the accelerator though. Don't think it's a problem either way as long as the outcome is the same.
Yes I do the same in some cars. Like a side step foot rolls over. I thought he was saying inverted. Like heel on brake. Toe on gas. 😂
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
That would be a classic heel toe down shift. The OP was asking about the automatic throttle blip in sport plus mode.

The only time I ever heel toe is when I brake hard entering a corner. Selecting the appropriate gear for the turn and matching the revs to the proper speed that the transmission will be rotating at. In order to prevent the car from bucking and causing a loss of traction and/or slowing the car down more than what is needed. It's basically a late braking technique used in racing. The automatic blip reduces the juggling act from 4 steps to 3 by no longer needing the toe in the heel /toe.
Good cars that are meant to be driven fast won't always line up well for slower speed heel toe downshifting. My first experience in a 911 was at Skip Barber at Lime Rock. Messing around on the auto cross course, I wasn't very smooth on my heel toe (have been driving auto only Audis for years now). But on the track, once I had to slam on the brakes on the end of the straight before heading into Big Bend, the pedals were perfectly aligned for a great heel toe. I had a huge grin the first time I navigated that turn- it all came together.
So unfortunately, from my experience it's not something you can perfect on the street.

Quick Reply: Sport Plus at the Track