Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it ever seem like everyone is out to kill you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:43 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does it ever seem like everyone is out to kill you?

Before Lexvan starts calling me Chuck and making nasty comments in my general direction, let me first disclose that I have sold my 911 and I currently do not own any Porsche vehicle, most especially a 991.

To be honest though, one reason I sold it is because I got a little nervous in traffic sometimes. Aside from being a short, small car that some folks can't see when they're texting, I sometimes felt like people would cut me off on purpose, tailgate me more than in my other cars, and basically act like a dick just because my car cost more than their house.

Maybe it's this part of the country, maybe it's my movie-star good looks or my mad driving skillz, or maybe it's just all in my paranoid imagination.

Has anyone else noticed these kind of things? Do people treat you differently on the road when you drive your 911 than when you drive your other cars?
Old 06-16-2015, 03:54 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

It has a little known standard feature..an a$$hole magnet. After a while you learn to just ignore them.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hey now!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:02 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

It's funny that you say this, but I've found a couple of things with my two 991 cabs . . .

First, I find people are unbelievable courteous to me, especially stopping and allowing me to turn into traffic. I've never had this experience, but I have to guess that at least 90% of the time, the very first car will stop and allow me in. I figure they like to look at the car from behind as I almost always have the top down. But I'll tell you that this is NOT normal behavior in a big northeast city.

On the flip side, I get cut off by people changing lanes in front of me ALL OF THE TIME. Yesterday, a woman turned in front of me to take a right turn fom a center lane of traffic. She came so close our mirrors tapped. It's crazy and I can only assume that other cars just don't see me. But that was never a problem in my 996 or 997 Targas. Even more
Old 06-16-2015, 04:04 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
It's funny that you say this, but I've found a couple of things with my two 991 cabs . . .

First, I find people are unbelievable courteous to me, especially stopping and allowing me to turn into traffic. I've never had this experience, but I have to guess that 90% of the time, the very first car will stop and allow me in. I figure they want to look at the car from behind.
+1
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Before Lexvan starts calling me Chuck and making nasty comments in my general direction, let me first disclose that I have sold my 911 and I currently do not own any Porsche vehicle, most especially a 991.

To be honest though, one reason I sold it is because I got a little nervous in traffic sometimes. Aside from being a short, small car that some folks can't see when they're texting, I sometimes felt like people would cut me off on purpose, tailgate me more than in my other cars, and basically act like a dick just because my car cost more than their house.

Maybe it's this part of the country, maybe it's my movie-star good looks or my mad driving skillz, or maybe it's just all in my paranoid imagination.

Has anyone else noticed these kind of things? Do people treat you differently on the road when you drive your 911 than when you drive your other cars?
Where do you live that a Porsche costs more than a house. Certainly not in the Northeast!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just sold my 997 S Cab this morning. I'm between Porsches, as we say. My '16 is due in September.

My experience with the 997 falls into two distinct groups. The first is where folks will pull up, admire the car and give out a little love. Be it at a light, parking lot, or gas pump. They love looking, talking about the car, and their "dream car. " The second, which seems to be more often lately is where some nut wants to tailgate you at 85, then cut you off as he passes. Typically this guy's in a p/u truck. It seems like he's checking one off his bucket list- "yup, owned a Porsche today on the highway. Next on the list, drift through a tollgate sideways." Sometimes it's a woman in a mini van who, while passing, gives you a look like she could swallow you whole!

But as bad as it sometimes is, it's nothing when compared to my experience when driving my wife's Miata. It seems EVERY car wants to bully you. In the end, it's all humorous, so try to sit back and enjoy the circus.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I sympathize with your comments. No 991 to date but my gt3 attracts stupid people especially kids like no tomorrow, my 911sc seems to find the polite and very courteous people!

This is in the Chicago Northwest suburbs.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Does it ever seem like everyone is out to kill you?

Kill me? No.

Tailgating? Yes. I think just trying to check out the car.

Nice cars like this get attention. No way around it. If you're in LA, Miami, etc.. and some other places, there are alot more nicer cars driving around and don't get as much attention.

Part of owning a higher profile car. Why it's nice having my daily driver for mundane errand running and back/forth to work.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:44 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

never any issues with this kind of behavior. I live in the friendly south and do have a friendly face ;-)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've noticed the same thing. Sadly, it's mostly from pickup truck drivers - big pickups, the type that have "My other ride is your girlfriend" bumper stickers. "Sadly" because when I'm on my motorcycle, pickup truck drivers are super-great about pulling over a bit to make my lane splitting easier.

Speaking of motorcycles, a fast rider on a sport bike did pull over to let me pass the other day; that's definitely a first for me. I was out on Redwood Road in the East Bay; fun.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never.... I used to love seeing 911's and always gave them the space they 'need' and in the most part I get the same return on my investment....
Don't mind seeing the same car in my rear view for 20 miles.... Don't harass the odd 'tough guy' who sits in the fast lane in front of me to prove a point....
Overall I get more people begrudging being overtaken by my 'runaround' Toyota than I do by the 991... Happy days....
Old 06-16-2015, 05:10 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

It seems lately every car wants to race me. Don't know maybe it's the weather or the water here in West Palm.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

i get lots of love but also a significant amount of invitations to race...nothing mean-spirited. not driving like a dick helps...
Old 06-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I did have a kid in a slammed fart can Honda make a point of noisily passing me the other day. Most of the time people are surprisingly chill.

Quick Reply: Does it ever seem like everyone is out to kill you?