Sponsored by:

AWE Switchpath Installed on 991GTS Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 12:51 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts
Default AWE Switchpath Installed on 991GTS Manual

Had the AWE Switchpath installed today. I was nervous it wouldn't be exactly what i was looking for but thought hey its supposed to be as quiet as stock when valves are closed so, either way it should be a fun thing to try out.

Well, it is as they say, near stock levels when valves are closed but if you floor it, it it is louder but nothing extreme in anyway. Truly satisfied with it regarding being quiet for when you want it to be.

NOW with the valves open, in my opinion it should of came like this from the factory. It sounds phenomenal! Not raspy at all, very clean sound. Its the closest thing to a GT3 I've heard coming out of a Carrera. It reminds me of the 997.2 GT3 with the Sharkwerks center muffler delete. Id say the level of volume would match that and no its not as high pitched but it sound fantastic! I could drive it with the valves open 90% of the time, except when i get up at 5:30am I like the car quiet and don't want to bother the neighbors. Took my mechanic out right after install he said it reminds him of his 996 GT3 when he installed an exhaust. Also doesn't drone or havent noticed it so far, but yes when open you hear it inside, but not that drone hummmm sound

Wish I had something to get a decent video and I know there are tons by AWE out there but I think in person it sounds much better than whats captured online.

Update: cold start this morning was fine. Seemed just like stock. Even opened the valve when driving off and can still be quiet if you aren't hard on the gas.

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 05-15-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and I are on the same wavelength, and our cars our twins also.

I had AWE Switchpath installed 2 days ago also. And I second your remarks.

Although mine is much louder at startup now, but in a good way. I believe the valves open at startup?

I was hoping to keep the switch path a secret from my wife, but she knew the first time I fired it up in the garage after install. Oh well.

With the PSE button on, it now sounds like a true supercar. And can be heard coming from several blocks away also.

The car def feels different now also. Revs quicker. And I guess the small power bump plus the decreased weight made a difference as I broke the tires loose on the first turn I took after install. Never happened before at the same turn.

Anyway, I highly recommend!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
You and I are on the same wavelength, and our cars our twins also.

I had AWE Switchpath installed 2 days ago also. And I second your remarks.

Although mine is much louder at startup now, but in a good way. I believe the valves open at startup?

I was hoping to keep the switch path a secret from my wife, but she knew the first time I fired it up in the garage after install. Oh well.

With the PSE button on, it now sounds like a true supercar. And can be heard coming from several blocks away also.

The car def feels different now also. Revs quicker. And I guess the small power bump plus the decreased weight made a difference as I broke the tires loose on the first turn I took after install. Never happened before at the same turn.

Anyway, I highly recommend!
Valves are closed or quiet mode when car turns on. It may pop for a second but sounds quiet to me, like stock. In sport mode I agree. Sounds like a super car. Gorgeous sound.

Power I'm skeptical about just a muffler delete. Maybe a negligible amount of top end since its skipping the mufflers a bit would make it flow easier but nothing I would imagine more than 5-10hp.

Glad you like it as much as I do. Makes me really enjoy the car that much more.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:56 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Could you guys give us an idea of the installed cost of this system? I may be interested in it as well.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Me too. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

$3.2K installed.

Last edited by Axxlrod; 08-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
Could you guys give us an idea of the installed cost of this system? I may be interested in it as well.
My mechanic installed it in 30mins
Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

This thing makes it a freakin cup car.

Last edited by Axxlrod; 08-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 AM
RangerRick
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Can you create a short Vid for all to experience ?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:47 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tons of vids online and lots of threads on this mod including a step by step install thread. I installed my own in a few hours, so total cost installed was just over 2k. They usually have a good holiday sale too.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Tons of vids online and lots of threads on this mod including a step by step install thread. I installed my own in a few hours, so total cost installed was just over 2k. They usually have a good holiday sale too.
You don't say....

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9668...nter-sale.html
Old 12-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
+1!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry for the possibly noob question: when you do a center muffler delete such as this one, are you left with a resonator and/or an earlier muffler left in place, or is this basically straight pipes when valves open?

And also, since when plain old muffler deletes cost 2k? Is there something about this system that makes it more than just a muffler delete?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome exhaust, love mine. Can be a bit loud at wot tho...lol. You are lucky tho having it shipped in a small box. Mine was shipped in a box 3 times the size and cost $230 to ship, my only gripe about purchasing
Old 12-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Sorry for the possibly noob question: when you do a center muffler delete such as this one, are you left with a resonator and/or an earlier muffler left in place, or is this basically straight pipes when valves open?

And also, since when plain old muffler deletes cost 2k? Is there something about this system that makes it more than just a muffler delete?
The system removes the large center muffler but allows you to retain the side mufflers so that when the valves are closed the exhaust gas is routed through the side mufflers for a quieter ride. When the valves open the side mufflers are bypassed straight to the x pipe with no muffling. This system is valvetronic which is why it costs more than a standard x-pipe muffler delete. If you have PSE on your car you can control this system with the factory PSE button. If you have a non-PSE car the valves automatically open at 3600 RPM.

Quick Reply: AWE Switchpath Installed on 991GTS Manual