Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   PTS GTS. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/871302-pts-gts.html)

OMG Noooooo.... 04-29-2015 02:19 PM

PTS GTS.

Well after the whole wheel falling off “incident” and the subsequent repairs and follow up issues I have had.. (All have gone unreported on rennlist) I have fallen out of love with my 7 month old 991s. (Jet Black metalic, PASM sport, PDCC, PDK) I had done 12,500 miles in it with not a squeak, rattle, wobble…Nothing.. but that has changed now and I don’t love it like I used too.. so where to go from here..

Over the last 3 months I have been loaned: c2s, 3xGTS, c4s Convertible, and a Panamera. All the 911s had different suspension set ups, seating, interiors, etc… so after driving nearly 3500 miles in these cars I have a pretty good idea of the what I like and don’t like about the different options availablele on the 991.

I have had 3 GTSs now. The 1st was carmine red with PASM, PDK, GTS red interior, LEDs, 14 way seats. It came with about 800 miles on it and the car was not really loosened up yet…

A month or so later I got the same car back again but it had over 5500 miles on the clock and was a totally different car to drive.. The engine had loosened up and now was really sweet. The roar from the exhaust is totally different to a 991s with sports exhaust. There is no in car drone, there is a real bark and louder roar. The extra hp jump is very noticable… The car keeps pulling all the way through the rev range, there is no power drop off. It just seems to be 20 mph faster everywhere. Anyone with a power kit will already know this.

PASM, woah… after driving my 991s with PASM sport and PDCC..
At 1st the car seems like a boat, it sways and leans so much more than mine. Its 20 mm higher but it really move about a lot. But when I got used to it its a very easy car to drive fast. It did give good feedback and let me know when I was approaching my limits (not the cars)… But it is a very soft and compliant ride, even in sports mode. The car felt more skittish and twitchy on bumpy uneven UK roads.

I am very slim so the 14 ay seats don’t work well for me I like a tighter fit. The Bose sound is a lot better than the standard, it has more bottom and middle to it, making it easier to hear. The receiver is far more powerful too, it picks up digital stations where the standard stereo would drop out.

The GTS Alacantra interior makes for a very dark car inside, but it does high light the red stitching nicely. The Sports Alacantra stearing wheel is very grippy and showed no signs of wear at all. Same for the Alacantra seats and other bits and bobs, all standing up to everyday use very well.

I had a C4s convertible for 4 days. Never liked or wanted a convertible or even a sun roof in a car. I have always thought it makes them heavier and flexible. And I was right. Same PASM as before but totally different feel. The car feels more flexible and gives a softer ride and you can feel the car twist too when really pushing. But it was a really fun and smoooth car to drive. The roof and everything fit so well you can almost forget that it comes off, with no rattles or air whistling anywhere. Showing the roof opening and closing to the local kids was the best bit about it. The engineering is marvellous. (Not what the kids said.)

This had the 18 way seats in which I found I was forever changing, never really being able to get the perfect position. They are the same seat as the 4 way but with a lot of adjustment. The seat exiting feature is a pain. It take too long to move backwards and forwards when entering and exiting.

This car also had power steering plus which lightens the steering a lot at low speeds.

I have driven a few C4s’s in the last year. The 4WD cars are and feel heavier at the front but they can grip so well. Turn in seems a bit slower but they seem to understeer less than a C2s

Sorry if this is dragging a bit, nearly done.

Last car I had was another Carmine red GTS. This came to me with 850 miles on the clock and went back showing 2100 miles.

LEDs where about the only new things I had no tried before. They light up so much clearer further than the standard lights. PDSL works well, but take time to trust and get used to. But the Led ring running lights are not a real ring and looks a bit of a mess.
Another thing I noticed was how much higher the front spoiler clearance is on a GTS with PASM to a C2s with PASM sport.

All of the above (and a payoff from Porsche ) has led me to make the following decision.

I have ordered a C2 GTS in PTS.

Mexico Blue, PASM Sport, PDCC, PDK, GTS interior with Silver stitching. 4 way seats and a load of cheaper and free options.

The car is a June build but with an added 12 weeks for PTS, so should arrive September time. So a 2016 GTS.

chuck911 04-29-2015 02:58 PM

Terrific car, perfect options. Love what you said about the cab/sunroof. First I've heard anyone mention the flex, though you know it has to be there. Congrats on a great order and writeup!

NoGaBiker 04-29-2015 03:13 PM

Wow, amazing comparative analysis. So few of us get to spend actual lengthy quality time on our own in a variety of carreras with different set ups. In fact, short of an employee of the dealership or PCNA, I don't see how anyone ever would. Great feedback.

Keadog 04-29-2015 03:22 PM

Great write up. The LEDs are great at night - really glad I got them.
Pics on arrival!

NoGaBiker 04-29-2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Keadog (Post 12243759)
The LEDs are great at night !

Hadn't thought of using them then! Thanks for the heads-up.

Vise 04-29-2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo.... (Post 12243614)
The seat exiting feature is a pain. It take too long to move backwards and forwards when entering and exiting.

I'd disagree here, unless you are jumping in/out of the car at top speed this is not even remotely an issue. To each their own of course but the seat exit feature works great for me.

MagicRat 04-29-2015 04:46 PM

Great post, thanks. Mexico Blue is the ultimate.

shaytun 04-29-2015 05:50 PM

Looking forward to seeing that color!

LexVan 04-29-2015 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo.... (Post 12243614)
Mexico Blue, PASM Sport, PDCC, PDK, GTS interior with Silver stitching. 4 way seats and a load of cheaper and free options.

The car is a June build but with an added 12 weeks for PTS, so should arrive September time. So a 2016 GTS.

That will be a nice build.

September.....bring on the hookers & blow.

eg991 04-29-2015 06:15 PM

Great post and appreciate the comprehensive analysis of the various cars. Congrats on placing the order; your car will be gorgeous. Look forward to seeing pics!

Larry Cable 04-29-2015 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by MagicRat (Post 12243957)
Great post, thanks. Mexico Blue is the ultimate.

+1

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d0842808cf.jpg

shaytun 04-29-2015 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vise (Post 12243842)
I'd disagree here, unless you are jumping in/out of the car at top speed this is not even remotely an issue. To each their own of course but the seat exit feature works great for me.

+1. I think the feature works great. What's the hurry to get out of a 991 :thumbup:

Shotgun 05-01-2015 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Cable (Post 12244356)

We used to call that "Baby Blue":rockon:

NoGaBiker 05-01-2015 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Vise (Post 12243842)
I'd disagree here, unless you are jumping in/out of the car at top speed this is not even remotely an issue.

And doing so is highly dangerous anyway -- slowing the process down a little might give you time to rethink your plans.

OMG Noooooo.... 05-25-2015 09:28 AM

Called in to my OPC to complete some paperwork and chat sh*t...

My PTS GTS will be completed around the 2nd week of October. Delivery a week later.

I was told:
The 991.2 will be arriving in the UK at the start of October and there will be a 3 month cross over period before the 991.1 is fazed out in December.

The 991.2 will have either a 2.7 or 2.9 turbo engine, depending on model. No hp figures as of yet...

The GT4 delivery is being held up till July because of supply issues with the bucket seats.